How long will Apple maintain its status?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Apple's stock price was trading at $232.07 in early October. It's trading at $163.94 today. That's quite a hit. But what do I know?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know dang well I'd throw up sales figures if I had them, but since Apple isn't releasing them anymore, I can't. That must mean they're selling well! Oh, wait...the phones must be selling well because one office somewhere has a few people who own them.

(Laughing)....That’s the point. Without those numbers, all we have is speculation. Some speculate that Apple is not doing well in selling the current crop of iPhones and other are speculating that they are. Some are speculating that the reason Apple opted to stop reporting sales figures is one thing whereas other are speculating that it’s another. In my opinion, it makes for a great debate and it gives tech heads and bloggers something to write about.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... Considering how well they did with the reporting on the sales of the iPhone X from late last year and earlier this year with their rock solid ‘supply chain checks’ I’d just as soon believe that they have a bridge in New York to sell to me...

(laughing)...I know, right?

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Hmm... the fall in Apple’s stock price... it’s not like there’s something called shorting a stock, where one could make some money by the drop in a stock’s price is there? And analysts are only ever above board when it comes to their ‘reporting’ of Apple, they could NEVER have any ulterior motive AT ALL in trying to weave a negative outlook of Apple’s future earnings...
And yet time and again Apple keeps meeting their own guidance in their earnings calls...
Until Apple revises their estimates downwards before the next quarterly report, I’ll give them the benefit of doubt. Either way the next quarterly earnings report will show if they’re ‘doomed’ or not.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Whats really sad about the stock market in general is they have thrown out the common principles that used to be the fundamentals for buying a stock like P&E ratios and such and now buy off emotion and speculation.

I still think Apple will be a good solid investment for the savoy investors who are in it for the long haul and not the quick buck which seems to be the trend lately.

Not that I knocking the day traders, but I would prefer having a person who has a background in investing and economics helping me to make decisions that effect my future then some fancy software graphs on a computer screen. Just my two cents.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
All I can say is this, we’ve seen this before and we’ll see it again. I was a huge BlackBerry fan and I remember when things started turning south (I’m not saying this is or is not currently happening with Apple, just making a point). The same excuses were made on Crackberry. “We don’t know”, “shorting stock”, etc. People were run off the forums for saying anything negative about BlackBerry (mobile). Did they survive? Yes, but not with a mobile platform. I think we all have to admit we don’t know what will happen in the future, change always happens and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Apple can’t rely on just raising the price of its smartphones and hoping everyone will bite. Something new will inevitably be around the corner and whoever gets there first will be king of the mountain. I think we would be naive to think smartphones, in their current form, will continue much longer. I hope Apple leads the way and comes up with the next great thing but we will see.

Great conversation by the way.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
‘A broken clock is right twice a day.’ That’s how I view the last few years of analysis of Apple by market analysts, they keep forecasting lower results for Apple... and eventually, someday, they’ll be right. Nothing is forever, even Apple, but I don’t see their demise being imminent - maybe/probably a downturn at some point, but ‘doomed’ nah. Especially when Apple spends what they are on R&D - it can’t all be on the latest batches of watch bands. There must be something, or things, new product wise going on in their labs...

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-03-apple-biggest-spender-world.html

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/05/apple-2018-form-10-k-highlights/

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Especially when Apple spends what they are on R&D - it can’t all be on the latest batches of watch bands.

Maybe $1000 watch bands?

First home computers, then iPods, and iPhones. They’ve always come up with something. Will have to see if they have more innovation under their hat.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe $1000 watch bands?

....Could be, lol....
After all, they did initially launch the Apple Watch with an ‘Edition’ level of the series 0 that had gold metal (rose/yellow) incorporated into it. I think that those were going for between $15-$17k apiece....
....I thought about talking money out of my 401k to buy one. /s

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
....Could be, lol....
After all, they did initially launch the Apple Watch with an ‘Edition’ level of the series 0 that had gold metal (rose/yellow) incorporated into it. I think that those were going for between $15-$17k apiece....
....I thought about talking money out of my 401k to buy one. /s

I’ve heard stories about them developing their own AR glasses, I often wonder if this will be the next pathway.
Whether watches or glasses, I bet smartphones are a thing of the past in about 10 years or so.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner