Will charging your iPhone several times a day ruin its battery??

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
https://www.quora.com/Will-charging-a-phone-many-times-a-day-ruin-its-battery

I think this subject has crossed many times... but it seems to be an unknown to most of us, even to this day.

• Some say it doesn't hurt to charge whenever you can (even though the battery might still be at 60/80%), some say you should avoid charging before it hits the 20% marker.
So what is true??

I follow Apple guidelines regarding batteries in my Apple devices.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone X after almost a year is at 99% battery capacity. I use wireless chargers so drop it on them multiple times a day. My battery rarely ends up dropping below 75%.

My daughters have iPhone 8s for about the same time. They let their batteries drop very low before recharging. Their battery health is at 90% and 89%. They only use the battery charger that came with the phone.

I'll always top off my battery when I can given my experience.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
We all remember the old memory batteries that came in older dummy phones but battery tech has grown leaps and bounds and we still debate battery longevity. Most people like me don’t follow a charging regiment. To me it’s like the battle of the full tank top off verses the ‘Hey’ I got ten bucks while at a quarter tank of gas and just put it in and I will still get the same distance.

My X is at 88% at Ten months which looks below average but I don’t notice it and it will serve me till next September when my X is moved down the owner chain.

Using my device without care and wear helps me rationalize getting my next new device.

Apple is making there iPhones from Glass but not to be handled like Glass. 🤯🤯

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm more or less like Ambassador Kataran. I really don't have a charging regiment. Some days I top off some days not. I do however charge overnight every night.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I take my phone off charger weekdays at 7am. I place it back on the charger when I go to bed, usually around 11pm. I rarely have to charge it during the day unless I'm using Waze for extended drives.

During the weekends the phone usually just stays on the night stand and I just wear my watch.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really affects batteries are charge cycles. Sure there are optimal charge levels for certain temperatures, but it’s minimal. Charging often will add up in charge cycles, but it’s not going to do any harm.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that really affects batteries are charge cycles. Sure there are optimal charge levels for certain temperatures, but it’s minimal. Charging often will add up in charge cycles, but it’s not going to do any harm.

Charge cycles adding up is no different from charging from 1% to 100%. They accomplish the same thing.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Charge cycles adding up is no different from charging from 1% to 100%. They accomplish the same thing.

Not charging from 0-100% adds up to a 0-100% charge. Every 0-100% charge is 1 charge cycle. If you charge from 80%-100% 5 times, that is also 1 charge cycle. That is what I’m saying.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OP, Charging your device, regardless of how you do it, does not hurt your battery. My battery is weak, so I try to not let it get low.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Previous phones I would not let get to under 50-60% before topping them off. I charged at least two times a day and I’m not really a heavy user. So far the XS I am only charging once in the evening before bed. On a day around the house I only drop 20% between 5am and 10pm. When I’m out and about I’m plugged in for Car Play so again it only works out to about 20% in the evening. I charge to 100% before bed, unplug and don’t think about again until the next evening. It’s been nice.

I noticed my DH was “habit charging” and told him to let it go to see how it does. His experience is about the same as mine, a little more drop but he has a bunch of background stuff going on.

My understanding is no way is right or wrong because of design but I figure if I don’t need to charge I should just leave well enough alone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Previous phones I would not let get to under 50-60% before topping them off. I charged at least two times a day and I’m not really a heavy user. So far the XS I am only charging once in the evening before bed. On a day around the house I only drop 20% between 5am and 10pm. When I’m out and about I’m plugged in for Car Play so again it only works out to about 20% in the evening. I charge to 100% before bed, unplug and don’t think about again until the next evening. It’s been nice.

I noticed my DH was “habit charging” and told him to let it go to see how it does. His experience is about the same as mine, a little more drop but he has a bunch of background stuff going on.

My understanding is no way is right or wrong because of design but I figure if I don’t need to charge I should just leave well enough alone.

What is a DH?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I charge my devices multiple times daily and haven’t had any battery issues, as one of the other post have stated, Apple has a guideline for charging your device if your really concerned about it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I charge my devices multiple times daily and haven’t had any battery issues, as one of the other post have stated, Apple has a guideline for charging your device if your really concerned about it.

Same here, morning/lunch to-from/evening on the way home in my vehicle it's connected to the USB for music/etc. Then later in the evening I drop it on the wireless charger or plug it in and swap over to my iPad until bed. I'm anywhere between 40-60% in the evening before it goes on the charger. After a year of this my iPhone X still shows 100% battery life. I do remember reading somewhere that lithium ion batteries such as used in modern smartphones don't like being fully charged or discharged all the way. Not sure how applicable that is since I tend to leave mine on the charger till it hits 100 but I've never killed it though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2