Let’s see your iPhone lock/home screens!

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I posted 'here' rather than in a food or photo related context as I figure a 'regular and yet to be named' poster would catch the toss... Dmo

Last edited:

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You would probably have to see a West Indian style Christmas Cake to attempt a theme. It's commonly called 'Great-Cake', 'Black Cake' or 'Christmas Cake' as opposed to fruitcake, although it's fruit based with a mix of alcoholic additions at the discretion of the chef. Normal methods are similar to my Mums which needed the fruit mix to set a year before cake making time. She added a potion of 2 parts dark rum, 1 part Port wine, 1 Part Falurnum. The cake is dark brown but not 'quite' black as the name may imply. As long as 'basted' monthly with a supply of the same rummy mix, a cake will keep over a year if one has enough will power to stay out of the pantry. Attached is an admittedly poor picture of the last one we have left after Christmas. It does correctly show the colour though. Not really socializing much now it should last us towards summertime. My memories of my Mums versions looked different though as she iced them with a hard white icing then decorated with greens and pink (yep) softer icing paste squeezed from a bag-contraption. Most no longer take the time anymore. But this is as good an image as I can get of ours. And yes - a small sliver was cut and was nice with a quick Guyanese Eldorado Rum-Cream liqueur, View attachment 130351
if anyone asks

So basically it is a drunken cake...Me after a slice...

giphy.gif

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
You would probably have to see a West Indian style Christmas Cake to attempt a theme. It's commonly called 'Great-Cake', 'Black Cake' or 'Christmas Cake' as opposed to fruitcake, although it's fruit based with a mix of alcoholic additions at the discretion of the chef. Normal methods are similar to my Mums which needed the fruit mix to set a year before cake making time. She added a potion of 2 parts dark rum, 1 part Port wine, 1 Part Falurnum. The cake is dark brown but not 'quite' black as the name may imply. As long as 'basted' monthly with a supply of the same rummy mix, a cake will keep over a year if one has enough will power to stay out of the pantry. Attached is an admittedly poor picture of the last one we have left after Christmas. It does correctly show the colour though. Not really socializing much now it should last us towards summertime. My memories of my Mums versions looked different though as she iced them with a hard white icing then decorated with greens and pink (yep) softer icing paste squeezed from a bag-contraption. Most no longer take the time anymore. But this is as good an image as I can get of ours. And yes - a small sliver was cut and was nice with a quick Guyanese Eldorado Rum-Cream liqueur, View attachment 130351
if anyone asks

Black cake is soooo good!!!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
if anyone asks

YUM

My grandmother used to make an Italian rum cake(she was from Naples, Sicily)....omg...talk about knocking you on your @$$ after 1 piece

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro