Is the iPhone XR a steal of a deal?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
XR starts at $749 with all of the same features as the XS/Max. Does this make your decision harder or is the XR not even an option?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
XR starts at $749 with all of the same features as the XS/Max. Does this make your decision harder or is the XR not even an option?

An LCD screen wouldn’t bother me at all, and if I was considering an upgrade, I’d really consider the XR, but I prefer the size of the current iPhone X.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The LCD doesn’t bother me much. I, honestly, don’t stare at my device as much as I use to. I got rid of social media about a year ago & my devices are usually on DND lol. If it was smaller & I was in the market, I’d probably consider it.

RAM doesn’t really matter to me. Yes, I test apps on my devices but I don’t have any issues with slowness.

Not having dual cameras isn’t a deal breaker either. I’m interested to see what the pics look like side by side.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the color options .... but I don’t think I’d want to go back to the LCD screen.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I totally agree. With the discontinuation of the X, any holdouts due to pricing will still avoid the XS and the MAX.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Currently using the original Apple Watch and an iPhone 8+. Nothing wrong with the 8+, but the large bezels and screen to body ratio are becoming more apparent now with the 2nd generation X models launch. The Apple Watch 4 looks compelling, and really like the iOS and Watch OS combination. So, for me a combined upgrade would be an Xr 256GB and Apple Watch 4. 8+ would go into reserve backup duty for me and the kids.

So an Xr 256GB at $899 and the Apple Watch 4 Nike + Space Gray with GPS would be $429 for a total $1328. An Xs Max 256GB at $1149 and same watch at $429 would be $1578. Going to an Xs Max 512GB and same watch would be $1349 plus $429 for $1778.

The above is without Apple Care (and taxes) for less addition, but I would get it for each device, further increasing cost. The smaller Xs is probably great, but too small for someone who wears glasses.

Will think about this some more. I don't need to do anything at the moment, and could likely get by for another year with what I have now. Right now the Xr 256GB and Apple Watch 4 seems to be the best option. Or, I may go back to the Note series and use my Fitbit Ionic, and just spend the $1249 for a 512GB Note 9 - if I decide to do anything.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The smaller Xs is probably great, but too small for someone who wears glasses.

I have an X (same size as the Xs) and wear glasses. The screen is just fine. It’s not small at all. I also have an 8 that I carry daily and although there’s a huge difference, the 8 still doesn’t seem that small.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an X (same size as the Xs) and wear glasses. The screen is just fine. It’s not small at all. I also have an 8 that I carry daily and although there’s a huge difference, the 8 still doesn’t seem that small.

Thanks, that's a good perspective to hear about. Without glasses on, its difficult to see the screen on the 8+ at normal font size.
Having a slightly more pocket-able device would be a bonus. I'll add an Xs to the potential list.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's a good perspective to hear about. Having a slightly more pocket-able device would be a bonus. I'll add an Xs to the potential list.

You’re welcome I enjoy the smaller size of the X without sacrificing too much screen real estate. From the looks of it, the XR doesn’t seem to be that much larger, but we’ll have to wait and see.

falconeight#IM

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Apple got the line up wrong. They should have made the Xs 5.8 inch the $749 phone with the new chip but same specs as the X. The XR the $999 with all the colors and the same specs as the XS max and the XS max the $1099 phone. I don’t get them making a bigger phone but with inferior specs.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods