For myself iOS Just Works

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just spent the last couple of hours fixing my nephews, neighbors and sisters Android devices and showed them how to clear the cache and modify some settings, so they would not keep getting app crashes and having to restart their devices several times a day.

I was an early Android adapter and I have as many paid apps in my google app store as I do in my Apple app store. I remember rooting my Nexus one and putting the Cyanogen ROM on the device which gave it extra features and reduced my number of issues associated the standard ROM.

With IOS I have never had to clear my cache, install a custom ROM or do any major tweaks to streamline my device, because I haven't had any messages saying "the app has stopped responding" or having to restart my device a couple of times a day, because the OS just works.

Granted they don't have any custom ROM's for IOS and there are not as many niche features and tweaks as with Android, but I think this is exactly what attracts folks to Apple and IOS, the simplicity, knowing the OS is stable and the software and hardware support are second to none.

I am not trying to put Apple on a giant pedestal here, I am a old Blackberry person who goes way back to my first palm pilot and the early Blackberry devices. I have been fortunate enough to have been involved in seeing the advancements in technology since the earl days.

I have watched IOS evolve from having my first original aluminum model iPhone to my current iPhone X and iPhone 8 models. the one common thing Apple has done is to bring the OS into the mainstream with new features each year, but maintain the simplicity of the OS and I hope they never wonder off that path. Just my two cents worth.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I wish that Blackberry could have seen the future and adjusted instead of taking a hard line and waking up too late

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree I still prefer to have the flexibility of Android, but have used iOS almost exclusively since the 5s. I did try a gs6 and turbo 2 but came back and have stayed for the past 2-3 years. I just upgraded to an 8 plus last week from a 6 plus and almost took it back right after I got it. Not because it isn't a great device. It really is, I just didn't see the speed right away from day to day tasks from my 6 plus on iOS 12 betas. I believe that to be a testament to how well apple optimizes the older devices that an almost 5 year old device can still be very smooth and not be much slower than a brand new phone.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I just spent the last couple of hours fixing my nephews, neighbors and sisters Android devices and showed them how to clear the cache and modify some settings, so they would not keep getting app crashes and having to restart their devices several times a day.

I was an early Android adapter and I have as many paid apps in my google app store as I do in my Apple app store. I remember rooting my Nexus one and putting the Cyanogen ROM on the device which gave it extra features and reduced my number of issues associated the standard ROM.

With IOS I have never had to clear my cache, install a custom ROM or do any major tweaks to streamline my device, because I haven't had any messages saying "the app has stopped responding" or having to restart my device a couple of times a day, because the OS just works.

Granted they don't have any custom ROM's for IOS and there are not as many niche features and tweaks as with Android, but I think this is exactly what attracts folks to Apple and IOS, the simplicity, knowing the OS is stable and the software and hardware support are second to none.

I am not trying to put Apple on a giant pedestal here, I am a old Blackberry person who goes way back to my first palm pilot and the early Blackberry devices. I have been fortunate enough to have been involved in seeing the advancements in technology since the earl days.

I have watched IOS evolve from having my first original aluminum model iPhone to my current iPhone X and iPhone 8 models. the one common thing Apple has done is to bring the OS into the mainstream with new features each year, but maintain the simplicity of the OS and I hope they never wonder off that path. Just my two cents worth.

I agree. I have used palm treo smartphones, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Android OS and iOS. IOS isn’t perfect, though I usually find a pretty easy way to do most everything I want.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I have used palm treo smartphones, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Android OS and iOS. IOS isn’t perfect, though I usually find a pretty easy way to do most everything I want.

I remember my palm treo and I also had a couple of Windows OS phone, mainly Nokia which I thought made a nice quality device.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I remember when even a Caveman can do it. But since I wasn’t one I dabbled on the first win smartphone then found my love of webOS but after the funeral paid for by HP I came upon iOS and the i5 and its just been getting better year after year

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I wish that Blackberry could have seen the future and adjusted instead of taking a hard line and waking up too late

I loved my Blackberry and OS10 was fantastic, just to late coming to the market and didn’t have the app support they should have.

As with you I would still be using it, I loved the Hub and Peak. I was the first person to by a z10 from T Mobile back then and loved the device, shame it ended up the way it did.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I loved the customization of different roms when I was using Android, but the constant tinkering and tweaking got old.

iOS works. Period.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Great post Ron! I couldn't agree more!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
For myself IOS Just Works

I remember my palm treo and I also had a couple of Windows OS phone, mainly Nokia which I thought made a nice quality device.

My ol’ windows phone was made by Nokia and runs Windows Phone 10, which is no longer supported...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
For the most part I agree. Though I am curious as to what devices your family uses with Android? I had the S8 for around a year as my daily driver and I NEVER had to clear any cache. Nor did I experience any more restarts than I experienced with my iPhone. With the higher end Android devices, I'm not sure the old issues are a problem anymore.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
For the most part I agree. Though I am curious as to what devices your family uses with Android? I had the S8 for around a year as my daily driver and I NEVER had to clear any cache. Nor did I experience any more restarts than I experienced with my iPhone. With the higher end Android devices, I'm not sure the old issues are a problem anymore.

Same here with my spare S8+

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
AMEN to that, and if they had, I would probably still be using a Blackberry device.

As would I. There is a book out that chronicles the epic rise and spectacular downfall of Blackberry. It's a most informative eye opening story and after reading it, it's no wonder they failed

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Not like you had a choice. LOL

One of my good friends and a die hard Blackberry OS10 user finally had to give up his beloved Passport because of app support. He ended up buying a new Key2 which he loves the device, but he still misses the passport.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Good book on rise and fall of BlackBerry also another called "Losing The Signal" good reading if you are A former BlackBerry user .

BlackBerry.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711