New iPhones for 2018 - Video

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting!..indeed, however, there’s nothing there design-wise that’s making me crave for a new iPhone. Couple that with nothing more than a very stable iOS 12, I’m definitely leaning toward keeping my iPhone X.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Interesting!..indeed, however, there’s nothing there design-wise that’s making me crave for a new iPhone. Couple that with nothing more than a very stable iOS 12, I’m definitely leaning toward keeping my iPhone X.

Same here. I was just telling my husband that they'd have to come out with something mind-blowing for me to consider trading up my 8 Plus. I'm still trying to cope with the fact that there won't be anymore fingerprint ID going forward.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The selling point for me is the 6.5” display in basically the same footprint as existing Plus models. My final decision is going to be in the details. Uncle Timmy has his work cut out for him this year when it comes to getting me to upgrade. He’s going to need to really sell me on why I should love something else more than my iPhone X.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The selling point for me is the 6.5” display in basically the same footprint as existing Plus models. My final decision is going to be in the details. Uncle Timmy has his work cut out for him this year when it comes to getting me to upgrade. He’s going to need to really sell me on why I should love something else more than my iPhone X.

I look at it this way. If I still need to make monthly payments on a year old phone, I might as well do it on a newer model. If I wait until next year, I’m still going to have a monthly payment again so I’ll might as well just trade it in and pay on a newer one. My days of paying outright are over with phones being $1000 and I have to buy 2 every fall. My wife always wants the latest and greatest too.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I look at it this way. If I still need to make monthly payments on a year old phone, I might as well do it on a newer model. If I wait until next year, I’m still going to have a monthly payment again so I’ll might as well just trade it in and pay on a newer one. My days of paying outright are over with phones being $1000 and I have to buy 2 every fall. My wife always wants the latest and greatest too.

How much are they paying you to make me upgrade!?!?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
How much are they paying you to make me upgrade!?!?

I could care less if anybody else upgrades. I just know my phone bill will be the same if I upgrade unless the price of the phones are different. Which wouldn’t impact much. I’m doubt I go with Plus size so I’m not expecting any increase. So I always upgrade no matter what.

anon(10501401)

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Guy seems pretty spot on except it’s been all but confirmed except from Apple of course that names will be iPhone, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Plus...also for the average consumer in my opinion if you have an X and don’t want a Plus there’s Zero reason to upgrade, monthly payment notwithstanding. The X versus the new XS will be just that, an S model upgrade. Some people prefer to be on the S model, which is cool and their choice but I see know real difference specific to 2018. But in the end people will buy new devices in the millions like always and that’s fine by me. My X works like launch day and I’ll be sticking with it.

anon(10501401)

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Interesting, but I wonder what price the iPhone 10 Plus will be! lol

Industry Insiders “whoever they may” be are predicting the 6.1” model will have the highest margins because of the LCD screen, lack of 3D Touch, and front facing camera allowing for FaceID but without other expensive “selfie” features. Because of this it will allow for a price drop in the XS and XS Plus (if that’s their actual names). I’ve heard the following as starting prices:

6.1” iPhone: $699.99
5.8” iPhone XS: $849.00
6.5” iPhone XS: $1000.00

Essentially the volume of 6.1” phones sold should allow for an X to come down from last year and a Plus to start at $1000. That said if you want/need the bigger storage the Plus could be as much as $1200.00

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Industry Insiders “whoever they may” be are predicting the 6.1” model will have the highest margins because of the LCD screen, lack of 3D Touch, and front facing camera allowing for FaceID but without other expensive “selfie” features. Because of this it will allow for a price drop in the XS and XS Plus (if that’s their actual names). I’ve heard the following as starting prices:

6.1” iPhone: $699.99
5.8” iPhone XS: $849.00
6.5” iPhone XS: $1000.00

Essentially the volume of 6.1” phones sold should allow for an X to come down from last year and a Plus to start at $1000. That said if you want/need the bigger storage the Plus could be as much as $1200.00

I’m going with 699, 899, 999 for starting points.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I am guessing it is only a matter of time before Apple ropes me in.
However, I have an iPhone 8+ in my drawer (ready for a yearly upgrade), and do not miss using it, due to the size. I got used to the iPhone X size really quickly (one handed use). So, it will be even more interesting, if I decide to buy a larger iPhone...

Sell that 8 plus.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I’m with you on this one!! I’m pretty content with my X and it looks like I’ll be keeping the 8 for the long haul, since there probably won’t be a smaller device.

This actually makes a ton of sense! I’m sure more people will upgrade after seeing your post lol. As for myself, I’ll probably stay put. In 2016, I purchased my 7 Plus at Apple with the Verizon plan and they messed up with my payments, so I ended up getting that device for just the tax. In 2017, I did the same with my X and my 8, but this time they charged properly for the 8 and messed up with the X. My current bill says I’m eligible for upgrade on the X with only $163 left on it so I’m all set lol

B_Ross

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Good video. I've been recently test running the X model from my girlfriend, not bad at all and I am realizing as well that I like being able to use it with one hand. I rather wait to get a good deal on an X model and ignore those chunky things.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Take out the notch and the fact most video apps don't suit it YET, or the notch scales it back, the 6.5" maybe not be much bigger than the 5.5" plus now in viewing size, and the phones are the same size.
Guess time will tell.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Since I'm on a 7 Plus which will be 2 years old when the XS??? (if that is the name) is released, I think it WILL be worth an upgrade for me. Now those on an iPhone 8/8+ or even more so iPhone X may have much less reason to upgrade. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73