Disappointed in Apple

britnick1972

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I’m not very impressed with Apple customer service. I was very spoilt in that my lovely partner Sharon bought me an iPhone 7 Plus in May 2017. In that time I’ve looked after my phone and it’s not even got a scratch on it. It has developed a fault with the charging port over the last week or so which means I have difficulty charging it. I made an appointment with Apple at their Meadowhall store. As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me. They would only replace the phone for a large fee. I argued with them but to no avail and they would not budge from that amount of money. When I think of how much money we’ve all spent on apple products over the years it makes me very angry. I told the manager at the store that I would post on Facebook regarding their lack of customer care and he advised me to quote their terms and conditions. I am annoyed that a phone which cost a lot of money isn’t able to function properly after 12 month.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not very impressed with Apple customer service. I was very spoilt in that my lovely partner Sharon bought me an iPhone 7 Plus in May 2017. In that time I’ve looked after my phone and it’s not even got a scratch on it. It has developed a fault with the charging port over the last week or so which means I have difficulty charging it. I made an appointment with Apple at their Meadowhall store. As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me. They would only replace the phone for a large fee. I argued with them but to no avail and they would not budge from that amount of money. When I think of how much money we’ve all spent on apple products over the years it makes me very angry told the manager at the store that I would post on Facebook regarding their lack of customer care and he advised me to quote their terms and conditions. I am annoyed that a phone which cost a lot of money isn’t able to function properly after 12 month.

The Apple Store manager did not do anything wrong or negative against you. Can I assume you and the purchaser declined to get Apple Care Plus for the device?

You stated that the device developed a fault with the charging port. That’s very vague, in my opinion, and doesn’t state specifically how the fault was developed.

In any case, deciding to negatively judge the Apple Store and Apple for not fixing an out of warranty device free of charge is petty. Can you tell me what mobile device company would’ve fixed it free of charge?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Store manager did not do anything wrong or negative against you. Can I assume you and the purchaser declined to get Apple Care Plus for the device?

You stated that the device developed a fault with the charging port. That’s very vague, in my opinion, and doesn’t state specifically how the fault was developed.

In any case, deciding to negatively judge the Apple Store and Apple for not fixing an out of warranty device free of charge is petty. Can you tell me what mobile device company would’ve fixed it free of charge?

I have to agree with JustMeD on the issue. I don't expect GoodYear to fix my tire for free after driving on it for a year. I tend to always read the warranties on most items I purchase and if need be get insurance or get the extended warranty. You might say I'm OCD about that.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you’re having trouble charging, try a toothpick or something to clear out the charging port. Could be lint in there which has been known to cause trouble. I’ve rolled some tape backwards so sticky side out and wrapped on a paper clip and used that before. But my guess is lint could be at fault and easy to fix yourself.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple did nothing wrong here. Your device was out of warranty. No company is going to fix out of warranty devices for free.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Apple does offer Apple Care Plus within 60 days of purchase to add an addition year of warranty including covering physical damage. This is ideal for anybody planning on keeping the phone past 1 year. If it’s not purchased, they are not obligated to cover the phone at the 14 month mark. Also, probably 99% of electronics you buy from any company only covers for 12 months. No matter how much the product costs. Apple is no different.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me.
You phone could have been 8 minutes out of warranty and you would have received the same service. They have strict guidelines they have to work with.

I argued with them but to no avail and they would not budge from that amount of money.
Yeah, that's usually not going to help at all.

I told the manager at the store that I would post on Facebook regarding their lack of customer care and he advised me to quote their terms and conditions.

Bazinga!
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html#mn_p

You took a device that was out of warranty period with no Apple Care on it and they refused to look at it or fix it. While I do understand your frustration, Apple did nothing wrong.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you’re having trouble charging, try a toothpick or something to clear out the charging port. Could be lint in there which has been known to cause trouble. I’ve rolled some tape backwards so sticky side out and wrapped on a paper clip and used that before. But my guess is lint could be at fault and easy to fix yourself.

Found the iMore article about this:

https://www.imore.com/how-clean-your-iphones-charging-port

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
... If the iPhone was still within the 12 month warranty period and The Apple Store refused/hassled you about the repairs, then you would have something to ***** about. (See how that works?) :)

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Two different issues here.
Re out of warranty repair, no luck for OP.
Re out of warranty repair cost by Apple, everybody knows that Apple over price it (like everything else Apple).

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me. They would only replace the phone for a large fee.

If you can afford an Apple device, then you should be able to afford to have it fixed when the warranty is expired. They do not owe you free service or free replacement parts when your warranty is out. Pay for the service and parts like everyone else with an expired warranty.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
LOL entitled much?!? You have a warranty with a phone (which is 1 year). That is why they make applecare to provide service outside of the year, and save you some $$. Apple did nothing wrong, just because they didn't go out of their way to save you $$ is not their fault. If they did that for everyone they would go bankrupt.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Two different issues here.
Re out of warranty repair, no luck for OP.
Re out of warranty repair cost by Apple, everybody knows that Apple over price it (like everything else Apple).

Out of warranty replacement on the 7 Plus is $349. Or you can pay retail. I’ll gladly take the $349 since they didn’t buy Apple Care+.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If I buy a new car with a 60 month/60,000 mile warranty and it breaks at 61 months/ 61000 miles, guess what? I'm SOL and responsible for the repair. It's called being an adult.

Sorry, I don't think you're going to find any sympathy here.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I personally never buy AppleCare so if this happened to me instead of complaining try to troubleshoot it with this forums help or glass half full all the money you saved by not getting AppleCare you can get it fixed or replaced

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I personally never buy AppleCare so if this happened to me instead of complaining try to troubleshoot it with this forums help or glass half full all the money you saved by not getting AppleCare you can get it fixed or replaced

What Kataran said.
I never purchased any so called extended warranty, which is like an insurance policy with more gambling nature. When something happened, it saves you, but I never reeally had any trouble on anything I purchased that made me regret that I did not have an extended warranty. That further solidified my conviction not to buy into extended warranties. Sometimes, credit card purchase helps, but I never had to use it either. As for Apple products, over more than a quarter century, I kept buyng Apple products, but never had trouble. The only incident was an HDD failure on my 2011 Mac Mini, and HDD is a 3rd party product, and by the time it happened, the product had past the useful life anyway. The only issue was those who were corralled into Apple's walled garden had only 2 options, namely, repair by Apple (or its authorized dealers) or time to replace it with new one, both options cost quite a bit of money, and Apple wins either way. In the case of the said Mac Mini, I was able to replace the HDD with an SSD. But in recent years, Apple further tightened up its walled garden (boxes) so much so that not much is user accessible for simple DIY repair. Not much fun any more:-((

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I never back in the day but I do mostly now. Especially iPads. My wife always takes my hand me down iPad. So we always have them at least 2 years. Twice the iPad went bad after the 1 year warranty expires. Also, her 6 plus had to be replaced 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired so that paid off as well. My wife broke her 7 plus. Our son grabbed it and dropped it on the tile floor. I watered damaged my 5s and also broke the replacement. Had to do 2 Apple care claims that year. Wife shattered her Apple Watch and I had to get my Apple Watch replaced after the 1 year warranty expired for it no longer charging. Also had to do a major MacBook Pro repair after the 1 year warranty would have expired. If you sell the phone after one year, you get a prorated refund back if you cancel it. Now that T-Mobile includes it if you buy their insurance, I just get it that route instead of paying for it up front. Some people don’t need it but I can count 8 times we had to use it for either breakage or just being past the 1 year warranty. Some people may never need it. We get it for piece of mind.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What a smug bunch you all are, are you all shopkeepers ? I personally have had much better service than that described from my local Apple store and have always had any problems I have had with my old phones examined and explained (and sometimes fixed) with politeness and courtesy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW