We as layman will never know how much Apple makes on there care but I do know how much I save by not getting it. I will pay to fix my mistakes that I caused with my hard earned cash instead of giving money to a maybe clause. The one year manufacture warranty covers me in case of a defect and the rest is my responsibility
    07-30-2018 10:21 AM
    We as layman will never know how much Apple makes on there care but I do know how much I save by not getting it. I will pay to fix my mistakes that I caused with my hard earned cash instead of giving money to a maybe clause. The one year manufacture warranty covers me in case of a defect and the rest is my responsibility
    Ecactly. Said better than I did:-)
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-30-2018 10:31 PM
    What a smug bunch you all are, are you all shopkeepers ? I personally have had much better service than that described from my local Apple store and have always had any problems I have had with my old phones examined and explained (and sometimes fixed) with politeness and courtesy.
    The same here. I purchased an iPad Pro on eBay. The screen kept flickering and was jumpy. Took the iPad to the Apple Apple. IPad was still under warranty. Apple peeps ordered meca brand new iPad same model and storage with out any hesitation.

The peeps there we're very helpful
    07-30-2018 10:57 PM
    What a smug bunch you all are, are you all shopkeepers ? I personally have had much better service than that described from my local Apple store and have always had any problems I have had with my old phones examined and explained (and sometimes fixed) with politeness and courtesy.
    Smug? The store was following policy. They have their own discretion to make exceptions I'm sure. What doesn't sit right with me is the threat "I'll post on facebook!" Makes me wonder what the rest of the interaction was like.
    Just_Me_D, Quis89, kataran and 2 others like this.
    07-31-2018 05:46 AM
    I have never had a negative experience with anyone at Apple either at their store or via telephone or online with Apple Support.
    Jude526 likes this.
    07-31-2018 07:06 AM
    That’s from having a very good old school upbringing, sir. I tip my hat to you!...
    Lee_Bo, kataran and TgeekB like this.
    07-31-2018 07:20 AM
    To me, Apple Care + is worth peace of mind that if I drop my phone, and damaged caused might be repaired at a fraction of what it would have normally cost.

Call it what you want, but I worked my butt off to be in the position I am now to be able to splurge on the things I want. AC+ may not be worth it to a lot of folks, but I'll buy it all day long.
    07-31-2018 08:06 AM
    To me, Apple Care + is worth peace of mind that if I drop my phone, and damaged caused might be repaired at a fraction of what it would have normally cost.

Call it what you want, but I worked my butt off to be in the position I am now to be able to splurge on the things I want. AC+ may not be worth it to a lot of folks, but I'll buy it all day long.
    B-I-N-G-O
    07-31-2018 08:46 AM
    While this topic is moot to me personally since AC+ is baked into my T-Mobile insurance...I do agree that Apple had zero obligation to fix anything out of warranty for anything less than full cost of the service.
    Tartarus, Lee_Bo, Quis89 and 1 others like this.
    07-31-2018 01:24 PM
    I have never had a negative experience with anyone at Apple either at their store or via telephone or online with Apple Support.
    Agreed
    08-02-2018 09:02 PM
    I’m not very impressed with Apple customer service. I was very spoilt in that my lovely partner Sharon bought me an iPhone 7 Plus in May 2017. In that time I’ve looked after my phone and it’s not even got a scratch on it. It has developed a fault with the charging port over the last week or so which means I have difficulty charging it. I made an appointment with Apple at their Meadowhall store. As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me. They would only replace the phone for a large fee. I argued with them but to no avail and they would not budge from that amount of money. When I think of how much money we’ve all spent on apple products over the years it makes me very angry. I told the manager at the store that I would post on Facebook regarding their lack of customer care and he advised me to quote their terms and conditions. I am annoyed that a phone which cost a lot of money isn’t able to function properly after 12 month.
    Did Sharon use a credit card to buy it? A lot of credit cards extend warranty by at least a year. If you contact the credit card company they may help you out.
    08-07-2018 04:43 PM
    The Apple Store manager did not do anything wrong or negative against you. Can I assume you and the purchaser declined to get Apple Care Plus for the device?

You stated that the device developed a fault with the charging port. That’s very vague, in my opinion, and doesn’t state specifically how the fault was developed.

In any case, deciding to negatively judge the Apple Store and Apple for not fixing an out of warranty device free of charge is petty. Can you tell me what mobile device company would’ve fixed it free of charge?
    They made no offer to repair it period. That's the way I read the OP's post. One of Apples problems and its becoming more common, they don't fix much of anything. The offer is to replace at some ridiculous price
    08-07-2018 08:49 PM
    They made no offer to repair it period. That's the way I read the OP's post. One of Apples problems and its becoming more common, they don't fix much of anything. The offer is to replace at some ridiculous price
    For every example you provide with this claim that “Apple doesn’t fix much of anything” and only “offer to replace at some ridiculous price”, those examples would most likely be countered with 30 examples of Apple fixing much of everything, even out of warranty. It’s happened for me on four different occasions. I’ve also had an encounter in which I didn’t get my way.

I also noticed the OP speaks of one experience at one Apple Store. I’m sure anyone with any common sense can figure out what their other options are after attempting to get an out of warranty repair only ONCE in only ONE store. Trial and error. And if it doesn’t go your way, then boo hoo.

I’d also bet my bottom dollar that we’re not getting the full story from the OP. The hilarious “gonna post on Facebook” thing tells me all I need to know about the OP.
    Garz and DarkKnight08 like this.
    08-07-2018 11:54 PM
    Don’t have Apple Care but I do have the insurance provided through Verizon. I would NOT ever be without insurance. I am extremely careful and have never had to file a claim and the monthly premium I pay is nothing compared to what it would cost me if I didn’t have the insurance.
    The store you dealt with did nothing wrong. Had you had insurance you would had been taken care of with the deductible. So you don’t have insurance. Put on your adult pants and act like an adult. You chose to not have insurance and unfortunately you are up the creek without a paddle so to speak.
    I am a retail manager and we have a warranty on our product. It is a one yr warranty. I cannot deviate from our warranty and there are customers who try. I have policies to follow just like Apple has policies to follow.
    AJ19920 and cruze1866 like this.
    09-15-2018 02:41 AM
    With a smile and understanding my wife had the Apple Store do a repair that was a find alternative to a new phone. When they twice missed their repair estimate time that day a manager at minutes before store closing offered a whole new or refurbished phone to us and two others who did not get their repairs done on time.

I did notice one of the others that got that present at our early in the day drop off appointment. She had smile on then, and when the store messed up later. I’m sure it was an easy decision for the manager to take care of polite and understanding customers who were not asking for a handout.

In the past year I have had experiences that have shown some dings in Apple’s armor. As an IT admin and business team customer I’m at the store somewhat often. A leader in the store had perfect candor saying they’ve had challenges keeping staffed and keeping up with repairs. Even when they have problems it seems like they do a better job than a lot of firms.
    09-16-2018 12:44 PM
40 12