One Handed Use: Iphone 8 vs Iphone SE

Bigben2493

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
How would you compare using Iphone 8 vs Iphone SE one handed, texting, reaching apps, etc.

Which do you like better for it?

Thanks for all your help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone SE would be easier to use one-handed in comparison to the iPhone 8, in my opinion. With that in mind, I have the iPhone 8 and one-handed use is not bad at all, but I would definitely give the SE the nod in this regard.

Bigben2493

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
The iPhone SE would be easier to use one-handed in comparison to the iPhone 8, in my opinion. With that in mind, I have the iPhone 8 and one-handed use is not bad at all, but I would definitely give the SE the nod in this regard.

Also:
I have an SE and want to upgrade while having a compact device for one handed use, Im not sure if this rumored SE 2 will ever come out and the other rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 inch devices don't appeal to me. Also is it worth getting an 8 in June when the new phone comes out in September?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also:
I have an SE and want to upgrade while having a compact device for one handed use, Im not sure if this rumored SE 2 will ever come out and the other rumors about the 5.8,6.1 and 6.5 inch devices don't appeal to me. Also is it worth getting an 8 in June when the new phone comes out in September?

I think so. The iPhone 8 is fast as heck. If you haven't already, go to a nearby Best Buy or Apple Store and check one of them out. By doing so, you'll get a firsthand look on how it feels in the hand and whether or not it's suitable for one-handed use. That's what I would do.

Bigben2493

Jun 5, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I'm just worried about them making like an Iphone 9 in september with the button, and then get the 8 if its old. But yeah not sure if I like the all screen ones, What's your opinion on the X?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm just worried about them making like an Iphone 9 in september with the button, and then get the 8 if its old. But yeah not sure if I like the all screen ones, What's your opinion on the X?

No matter what device you buy, a new one is always around the corner. As for the iPhone X, I love it. It’s a joy to use, in my opinion. As for you possibly getting the iPhone 8, if you need a phone now, get it. If you don’t, then yeah, wait to see what Apple introduces in the fall.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
My 6s was getting very slow and somewhat outdated I looked at the X ,beautiful phone but way too overpriced and the 8 plus for me was too bulky to carry around so I settled on the 8, zero cost on a plan at carrier and it does the job ,good size for shorts pocket and very fast and great camera ,hope to keep it for 2 years although I know I'll be jealous when I see the new phones in september .

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the X coming from the SE and with a short learning curve it’s the best upgrade if you are into one handed use. You get excellent screen Real estate along with good pocketbility

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have smallish hands and I can use my iPhone 8 plus one handed for most things, unless I'm typing out a long text or email! Granted, it took awhile, and there was definitely an adjustment period. I am very happy with it!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the 8 Plus, my husband has the SE. The 8 Plus works fine for one handed use if you enable the double tapping of the Home button (it slides everything on the screen down so you can reach anything on the screen one handed). I'm not sure if any of the new phones are going to have a Home button though. The only reason my husband wanted the SE over a larger phone is because he wanted to be able to slide a small phone easily into his pocket.

The SE does feel really good in your hand, but for me personally the screen is just too small. If you like the form factor of the SE then wait and see if they introduce a more powerful new phone of a similar size. Any way you slice it it'll be a really good upgrade.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
It looks like I'm late to the party but as someone that owned the SE for nearly 2 years, tried a 8 and owned the 7 a couple of times, you can use it one handed but it might take a little more work. I found that the weight of the 8 vs 7 is noticeable when using it one handed. It feels a little easier to use the 7 one handed versus the 8.

By the way, you can change Display Zoom to Zoomed on the 8 and 7 series. That makes everything bigger.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have smallish hands and I can use my iPhone 8 plus one handed for most things, unless I'm typing out a long text or email! Granted, it took awhile, and there was definitely an adjustment period. I am very happy with it!

I think I am going to swap the 8 for a plus ,the 8 is close to the 6s except for speed and better camera ,the carrier gave me a great deal on a 8 plus ,I know there will be an adjustment period however I will try to get used to the extra weight/size and still have the 6s for back up .I know this thread is about 8/SE and the 8 is a great device for one handed use and the 8 plus is 54 grams heavier, however I am sure the battery life and camera,etc. are worth the extra weight .