Who uses an iPhone as their ONLY Apple Device?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone for roughly two years, almost exclusively, and I've really grown to love how it works and don't REALLY see myself using something else for my phone in the near (or distant) future. I see them as the best well rounded phone on the market. I get updates, great camera, access to Google apps, and access to all things Apple that matter to me like iMessage and FaceTime.

That being said, I am firmly invested in the Google services ecosystem - Gmail, Keep, Maps, Docs, Google Photos, Duo (with my wife who only uses Android), Google Music (we have a family account), and I also use Google Homes in my house (I peppered my house with Minis for less than half the price of a HomePod) and I have more movies in Google Play Movies than iTunes and all are now in Movies Anywhere for me.

With all of that Google-ness, and no intention of investing in Apple Maps, Music, iTunes, etc., I get a little leery of going all in on Apple. Being, I don't know if I should get an Apple TV, Apple Watch, and/or iPad.

Is there anyone else that works this way? Anyone that just uses an iPhone and then uses other products for everything else? What do you use for those additional products, other than an iPhone? How does it work for you?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Being that you've stated that you don't see yourself using another smartphone brand for the foreseeable future, I highly recommend getting an Watch to compliment it. getting the notifications and being able to quickly reply to email, text messages, etcetera without having to take out your iPhone is worth it to me. In addition, I also recommend a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. You will still have access to your Google data, but also be prepared for for more Apple services, if you ever decide you need to. To answer the thread question, I do not have just an iPhone as my only Apple product. I have the following:

HomePod
2017 MacBook Pro w/o Touch Bar
Apple Watch Series 3 (Cellular + GPS)
iPhone X
iPhone 8
Apple Time Capsule
Apple TV (4th Generation)
AirPods

I think that's it....:cool:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I do and I'm fine with it. The services I choose to use are based in the cloud and are on Android as well.
I used Maps because it was built in but Google Maps alerts me of traffic (and suggests alternate routes) and such so the choice is a given. I actually hate the idea of having all of my services tied to Apple or Google, as Microsoft is where it's at for me.

I did flirt with the idea of an iPad but a Surface Pro would probably be a better fit for what I want to use it for.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I too have only an iPhone from Apple ecosystem. I have a Note 8 as well and a Gear S2.

Purchased an Apple Watch Series 2 because I loved the looks of the Nike edition, but sold it off because it was slow compared the Gear S2, didn't have the variety of watch faces that the Gear has, doesn't sync all health apps simultaneously and Siri just doesn't understand me.

I will not get into the Apple ecosystem because it restricts my choice of devices and configurations at a reasonable price.

Happy with the iPhone 8 plus and how it works for me, so will stick with it.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Being that you've stated that you don't see yourself using another smartphone brand for the foreseeable future, I highly recommend getting an Watch to compliment it. getting the notifications and being able to quickly reply to email, text messages, etcetera without having to take out your iPhone is worth it to me. In addition, I also recommend a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. You will still have access to your Google data, but also be prepared for for more Apple services, if you ever decide you need to. To answer the thread question, I do not have just an iPhone as my only Apple product. I have the following:

HomePod
2017 MacBook Pro w/o Touch Bar
Apple Watch Series 3 (Cellular + GPS)
iPhone X
iPhone 8
Apple Time Capsule
Apple TV (4th Generation)
AirPods

I think that's it....:cool:

So basically what you're telling me is that I should just jump into the whole of the Apple ecosystem?! I think I would like a Mac, honestly. But I also don't have the funds for a $1300 laptop. 4 kids, mortgage, two car payments, other fun stuff, etc. Means no extra for a laptop of that price. The one thing I don't like about the Apple Watch, well I guess there are two things, is that it looks too techy (I'm a regular watch lover) and that I can't use it to control my Google Play Music like I could if I was using Apple Music.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I do and I'm fine with it. The services I choose to use are based in the cloud and are on Android as well.
I used Maps because it was built in but Google Maps alerts me of traffic (and suggests alternate routes) and such so the choice is a given. I actually hate the idea of having all of my services tied to Apple or Google, as Microsoft is where it's at for me.

I did flirt with the idea of an iPad but a Surface Pro would probably be a better fit for what I want to use it for.

That's one reason that I like Google services. I can access them from ANY computer. Which, I'm assuming, is probably the same as the Microsoft services, too. I was already so invested in the Google stuff when Microsoft got good, that I never switched.

And I agree that I hate being tied completely to one thing. Which is the premise behind this thread. I don't want to be so heavily invested in Apple, because I feel like I'll have nowhere else to go but Apple. And I do understand the perks of being in the Apple ecosystem, but I still feel like it's too constrictive.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
That's one reason that I like Google services. I can access them from ANY computer. Which, I'm assuming, is probably the same as the Microsoft services, too. I was already so invested in the Google stuff when Microsoft got good, that I never switched.

And I agree that I hate being tied completely to one thing. Which is the premise behind this thread. I don't want to be so heavily invested in Apple, because I feel like I'll have nowhere else to go but Apple. And I do understand the perks of being in the Apple ecosystem, but I still feel like it's too constrictive.

Yep, it's the same. That makes sense, why fix what isn't broken?

I feel the same as you and I totally agree. Each has benefits and I think they are enjoyed more with the way we use them, rather than just accepting that it is the way it is. Like Apple Maps isn't bad by any means, I think it's also pretty good for walking in the city but Google Maps is just so good with the information and alerts it displays. I can't imagine just accepting Apple's way.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The moment smartwatch battery lasts more than a day I'll buy one.

Out of curiosity, why do you need it to last more than a day?
For what it’s worth I charge my Series 3 nightly and never have an issue. In fact, my battery level rarely goes below 50%.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why do you need it to last more than a day?
For what it’s worth I charge my Series 3 nightly and never have an issue. In fact, my battery level rarely goes below 50%.

Well I just see it more burden than a tool which should make my day easier. The fact that I have to charge it daily. I already charge my X daily.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I just see it more burden than a tool which should make my day easier. The fact that I have to charge it daily. I already charge my X daily.

I see where you’re coming from. I guess I don’t really see charging as much of a burden, especially with wireless charging. I’m already taking my watch off at night and setting it on my dresser; I just rest it on the charger instead of some random spot. Same with my iPhone X.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
In addition, I also recommend a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. You will still have access to your Google data, but also be prepared for for more Apple services, if you ever decide you need to.

MacBooks are staggeringly expensive. It's better to wait until you actually need one, rather than buying one now just in case you decide to use an Apple service in the future that is not available on other devices.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I also have an iPad, but that’s because it’s the only tablet ForeFlight works on. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro and find it to be superior to my iPad however it’s getting long in the tooth and there’s no replacement in sight for it. Perhaps I’ll replace it with a Microsoft Surface.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Out of curiosity are your contacts and calendar in Microsoft as well? If so how do you like it? I find myself using Microsoft more and I’m thinking about moving my things over from Google.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

My current Apple device list-
iPhone X
iPad Pro 12.9 w/Apple Pencil
Macbook Pro Retina 2015
Apple Watch 2nd Series
AirPods
AppleTV 4K

So I'm fairly invested. That said, I don't feel restricted in anyway. I've also got Dropbox and Google cloud accounts where my data is also stored. If I wanted to switch, I honestly don't think it'd be too hard considering a lot of my data is applied across different cloud storage solutions. The only thing I'd hate is losing iMessage.

My point is, I wouldn't be worried about being too confined and reliant on Apple services. There are ways around that. You can still use your other services. For example, you can Airplay your Google Music playlists from your phone to your AppleTV if you choose.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Charging my watch is hardly a burden when considering the convenience it provides throughout the day.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity are your contacts and calendar in Microsoft as well? If so how do you like it? I find myself using Microsoft more and I’m thinking about moving my things over from Google.

Yep they are there. I really like it but to be fair, it's all that I have used.
On iOS, it works really well here. On Android, I had to use a 3rd party app to keep with the same functionality.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All I have are my iPhone 6s Plus, my old iPhone 5, and the first Watch. I use a lot of Google apps and services. They work well on iOS. Not so much Microsoft. They lost me when they took away my 30 gb free storage in OneDrive, and reduced it to 5 gb.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep they are there. I really like it but to be fair, it's all that I have used.
On iOS, it works really well here. On Android, I had to use a 3rd party app to keep with the same functionality.

Thanks! Which app did you use on Android? I'd like to look into it before I make the switch. My corporate email syncs through Exchange flawlessly on Android and I thought a personal Microsoft account would be the same.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234