More memory or better chipset?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I would recommend the 7 Plus w/128GB. It’s a strong device and I think more storage will serve you better unless you keep everything in the cloud.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I had the same dilemma, until I got a great deal on the 8 plus.

Go for the 7 plus 128gb only if you absolutely need that space. The 8 plus is a better overall phone with improvements in commonly used areas like camera, sound, speed etc.

You could get USB drives with lightning port which can connect directly to your phone and copy over data, thereby freeing up space.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So I have about 22 gb of music, going on 30. While I won't use all the space on the first day, I presume on a long run, it would fall short for my needs. I honestly have never used an iPhone, so I don't know how much space do the pictures and apps take. I don't watch movies on my phone so that's out of question.

BTW, to those who are on an i8+ - Is the glass fragile? I am a very careful user, and I don't use a cover/case. Is it slippery? I've used a few glass back phones in the past and they have turned out to be slippery.

for the i7+ -- I will mostly get the matte black. Jet is too glossy for my taste.

Keep the suggestions pouring pepol!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So I have about 22 gb of music, going on 30. While I won't use all the space on the first day, I presume on a long run, it would fall short for my needs. I honestly have never used an iPhone, so I don't know how much space do the pictures and apps take. I don't watch movies on my phone so that's out of question.

BTW, to those who are on an i8+ - Is the glass fragile? I am a very careful user, and I don't use a cover/case. Is it slippery? I've used a few glass back phones in the past and they have turned out to be slippery.

for the i7+ -- I will mostly get the matte black. Jet is too glossy for my taste.

i7+

It’s Aluminium back is more durable, it’s still faster than most Android devices, it has a wickedly good camera, and you’ll have enough storage you likely won’t have to think about it. It should easily last 2-3 more years while offering good performance.

Now if you can somehow swing an i8+ 256GB, well that’d be nice.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
For me, I always go for more space. The iPhone 7 plus is still a beast of a phone in my opinion.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I got the 128 jet black. Color wasn't my preference but it's all they had in stock. Didn't really matter as I have it in a case anyway so nobody sees the color.

I also have most everything in iCloud so if I had the choice now, I'd go with the better specs and 64 gigs storage.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
i7+

It’s Aluminium back is more durable, it’s still faster than most Android devices, it has a wickedly good camera, and you’ll have enough storage you likely won’t have to think about it. It should easily last 2-3 more years while offering good performance.

Now if you can somehow swing an i8+ 256GB, well that’d be nice.

Hey!

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, yes the i8+ 256gigs would be amazing. But, I can't afford it. Unless I get a second-hand device, with Apple warranty.

Secondly, though the i7+ is rock solid today, say about one year from now, will it still be so?

My only worry is, and the whole point of making this thread, is a better chip with lower memory a smart move, or slightly lesser horsepower with more space a good idea?

Also, I thought about this (in the shower :p) that the 64 gigs won't last me a year. Probably 6 months at the max before I have to start removing apps I don't use.

So, as of now, the i7+ looks like a good idea.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey!

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, yes the i8+ 256gigs would be amazing. But, I can't afford it. Unless I get a second-hand device, with Apple warranty.

Secondly, though the i7+ is rock solid today, say about one year from now, will it still be so?

My only worry is, and the whole point of making this thread, is a better chip with lower memory a smart move, or slightly lesser horsepower with more space a good idea?

Also, I thought about this (in the shower :p) that the 64 gigs won't last me a year. Probably 6 months at the max before I have to start removing apps I don't use.

So, as of now, the i7+ looks like a good idea.

In my opinion, a 7+ will last another 2 years. Look how well 6s+ are doing. My agency is still buying them and they’re still rock solid. If you could find a pristine pre-owned 8+ 256gb that’d be great but I guess I just have a lot confidence in the 7+ and, were it me, I would choose that over a pre-owned 8+.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, a 7+ will last another 2 years. Look how well 6s+ are doing. My agency is still buying them and they’re still rock solid. If you could find a pristine pre-owned 8+ 256gb that’d be great but I guess I just have a lot confidence in the 7+ and, were it me, I would choose that over a pre-owned 8+.

that's actually a very good point. The only thing is, I will have to shut my eyes tightly while making the purchase, because right next to the 'buy' button, the iPhone 8 Plus 64 gig ad appears, and it is just about 300 AED more than the i7+ 128. LOL. Ohh...this dilemma is funny.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
that's actually a very good point. The only thing is, I will have to shut my eyes tightly while making the purchase, because right next to the 'buy' button, the iPhone 8 Plus 64 gig ad appears, and it is just about 300 AED more than the i7+ 128. LOL. Ohh...this dilemma is funny.

Well, tackle it a different way. If you got the 8+ you’d get the “opportunity” to utilize the cloud more and manage the on-board storage. Think how you might accomplish that over 2 years.

What’s easier for you? Managing the difference in storage or managing the difference in the chipsets? Which will have more of an impact on you? Which will make for a more enjoyable experience?

Only you can answer that and I think you already know my opinion

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
But cloud storage only 5 gigs is free and you won't even be able to back a phone up with that, Also genlty used 8 plus 256 will have a better resale value. Just my two cents.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, tackle it a different way. If you got the 8+ you’d get the “opportunity” to utilize the cloud more and manage the on-board storage. Think how you might accomplish that over 2 years.

What’s easier for you? Managing the difference in storage or managing the difference in the chipsets? Which will have more of an impact on you? Which will make for a more enjoyable experience?

Only you can answer that and I think you already know my opinion

That's the whole point of this thread. I can't decide. I won't be happy with a slow device, nor a phone with less space on it. Out of the two, a phone with less space would be a bigger headache.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That's the whole point of this thread. I can't decide. I won't be happy with a slow device, nor a phone with less space on it. Out of the two, a phone with less space would be a bigger headache.
I don't think an i7+ will be slow for quite some time. I really don't think you're giving up too much by going with an i7+ instead on an i8+ with half the storage.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

What is your current phone's storage? I ask because while many Android phones do, many do not have memory card slots and are fixed as well (I'm assuming Android since you say this will be your first iPhone). Also keep in mind if you ARE using Google right now, you can continue to use things like Photos to hold all your photos and keep the phone clear. I have 19GB of free storage with Google due to years of having Android and getting extra space for doing the account security checkups and stuff so I continue to use that for email and full res photo backups (counts against storage). My iCloud backups for the rest of the stuff on the phone is then only about 1.5GB of the 5GB of free space.

It sounds like your biggest issue is a lot of music. I faced the same dilemma when I went from my 128GB 7+ to a 64GB X but I was only using about 40GB of the 128 after a year of use. About 1/3rd of that was music and I realized I wasn't listening to a lot of it so I just didn't put it back on the X for right now. So you could always go with the 64GB 8 and do a little extra management of your music and not keep stuff you don't listen to very often on the phone.

You can actually do the same with apps you haven't used in a while. It will "uninstall" the app itself until you want to use it but saves your data/settings for it. I used that to get rid of things I never use like Garage Band that take up over a gig of space.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2