Since some people failed to get the gist of the “responsibility” thread I created and wanted to focus on what Apple failed to do with regard to the recent battery fiasco, I decided to create another thread specifically about the battery debacle. Some people believe that Apple ‘forced’ people to upgrade whereas others believe that Apple deliberately slowed down performance to drive customers to upgrade. Still, others believe that Apple should be completely transparent especially to its loyal customers, but they weren’t. Okay, let’s cut to the chase. Since Apple has done such a bad thing, and millions of loyal customers have been duped, will “this fiasco” negatively impact sales, specifically in regard to the next iPhone, in 2018? I mean, loyal customers who’ve been betrayed wouldn’t dare do more business with that company and risk being betrayed again, would they? That wouldn’t be............logical......unless, of course, they really didn’t feel betrayed. I don’t know the answer. What do you think?
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 01-01-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    anon(9602380) likes this.
    12-31-2017 08:15 PM
    I don't think this will impact Apple negatively. It's not just Apple with lower than expected sales. The economy is still readjusting. Here in Canada sales are down overall. Best indication is home sales. They have been slow for a couple of years now.

As for Apple and it's slowing down of devices I could care less. I keep my devices updated and have no issues. I think it's up to the public to educate themselves. Besides you don't honestly expect a cell phone to last forever. Just as you can't expect a computer to last forever. They're electronics.

I dislike the word fiasco. Apple is about sales. They're a business. I don't think Apple owes anyone an explanation. You buy a device, it has a warranty, Apple stands behind it's warranty policy, what more do you expect. I say be happy that they even update your device once it's out of warranty. Nobody is being forced to stay with Apple devices especially when there are so many other devices out there and at a much cheaper cost.

I do agree though, if people feel duped why the hell would you ever buy another device from Apple. You'd have to be crazy to support a company that did something that you felt was dishonest. I sure wouldn't. I'm just going to continue on enjoying all my Apple devices. Enough said.

Please this is only my opinion. Respect it as I will yours.
    Just_Me_D, DMP89145 and Jude526 like this.
    12-31-2017 09:00 PM
    I don’t think so, mainly because the battery issues don’t affect the majority of users (500 complete charge cycles is more than most think) and users tend to be pretty forgiving. For example, the exploding Note 7 issue only temporarily hurt sales of Samsung devices.
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    12-31-2017 09:11 PM
    It won’t hurt sales at all. If any, people will have their battery replaced sooner than ever because now they know it will make the phone faster and advertise their device as such when reselling it.
    They will upgrade regardless of this fiasco, because unlike the people that only use their devices for 6 months and tend to switch a lot, people that only use iPhones and some other Apple devices will stay with Apple because the alternatives don’t suit their interests and needs.
    Just_Me_D and scruffypig like this.
    12-31-2017 09:40 PM
    The battery fiasco alone? Not enough to matter to Apple. It’ll be other things that ultimately negatively impact sales. The battery fiasco isn’t bad enough to seriously hurt sales.
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    12-31-2017 09:51 PM
    Well unless the next iPhone is compatible with the 600 MHz Tmobile network, I won't be upgrading, battery "issue" or not.
    12-31-2017 11:30 PM
    I don’t think it will. People will still appreciate Apple for the products and softwares that they offer.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2018 01:36 AM
    I don’t think it will. People will still appreciate Apple for the products and softwares that they offer.
    And customer service.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2018 01:52 AM
    And customer service.
    Exactly!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2018 03:27 AM
    It should, but people have the attention span of a half-dead fruit fly. They'll forget about it, if they haven't forgot about it already.
    Annie_8plus and Just_Me_D like this.
    01-01-2018 02:51 PM
    It’s not an issue that will harm the company’s business.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-01-2018 10:58 PM
    No, I don’t think it will have an impact on future sales.
    01-01-2018 11:04 PM
    I have VERY mixed feelings about this issue. I'm super peeved (thinking another word lol) that they were not transparent about the issue, THAT is the problem. I DO get it and understand their reasoning for doing what they did, BUT they should have been upfront about it. HOWEVER I am super IMPRESSED with the customer service response to the issue. I really think they have turned a negative in to a positive, by both replacing our batteries for 29 dollars AND offering refunds to those who paid for 79 dollar refunds.

Look Apple fans take brand loyalty to the next level. I don't think that's going to change. So no I don't think sales will be impacted.
    01-02-2018 08:36 AM

Look Apple fans take brand loyalty to the next level. I don't think that's going to change. So no I don't think sales will be impacted.
    How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolish belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings. Being that the “outcry” over the battery situation is almost non-existent, it blows the minds of some people who want it to be or think it should be an all-out rebellion. It never occurs to them that this is something that’s very low on the scale of life’s problems, especially when a new battery will fix the problem. Still, what doesn’t make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others....
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 01-02-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    01-02-2018 09:25 AM
    No I do not think it will slow sales of Apple products if you prefer this system you will continue with it ,however it was decent of Apple to come forward of their statement that indeed they do slow down older devices .
    01-02-2018 09:32 AM
    How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolishness belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings. Being that the “outcry” over the battery situation is almost non-existent, it blows the minds of some people who want it to be or think it should be. It never occurs to them that this is something that’s very low on the scale of life’s problems, especially when a new battery will fix the problem. Still, what doesn’t make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others....
    People are watching too many Mr. Robot episodes and movies about corporations taking over the world. These same people think we must take matters in our own hands and stop these evil before it all happens.
    Blame the TV.

If you ask me, and this is the fanboy in me at full glory, I’d rather have Apple ruling the world than any of the current political leaders in any country.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 01-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    01-02-2018 10:27 AM
    People are watching too many Mr. Robot episodes and movies about corporations taking over the world. These same people think we must take matters in our own hands and stop these evil before it all happens.
    Blame the TV.

If you ask me, and this is the fanboy in me at full glory, I’d rather have Apple ruling the world than any of the current politic leaders in any country.
    Ha Ha Ha! Not me!
    01-02-2018 10:37 AM
    How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolishness belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings.
    Actually some Apple customers are blind lemmings BUT I don't think that is generally the case. I believe Apple has earned it's reputation mainly by providing a quality product with superior customer service. What Apple does after the sale is just as important to them as what they do before the sale! I personally have had them go above and beyond for me as a customer and I have heard of many other positive stories. It's very rare that I hear of a negative experience with Apple customer service.
    Just_Me_D and Tartarus like this.
    01-02-2018 10:42 AM
    OK, so I have to admit to being somewhat of a Apple Fangirl... and basically have what could be considered as blind faith in the company. There are so many Apple-haters out there, that when I see bad press about Apple, I tend to disregard it with little to no thought. So when this story blew up, my first reaction was something like "oh crap, there is something to this" and then "geez, they really screwed up".. and then... "ok, they're dealing with this, and I think in a responsible way".

I'm not going to enter into the fray of heated debate. Do I think Apple screwed up... yes. Do I think they have handled it in a responsible way, yes. Will it change my feelings about Apple... no. Bottom line... mistakes happen. Apple will have issues, and so will Samsung, Google Pixel, etc. It's just how it is and how it will be.
    Last edited by Annie_8plus; 01-02-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Tartarus likes this.
    01-02-2018 10:59 AM
    Will Apple’s battery fiasco negatively impact sales in 2018?
    Absolutely not. People usually forgive and forget when it comes to stuff they like. Won't even be a blimp on the radar.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-02-2018 12:21 PM
    Absolutely not. People usually forgive and forget when it comes to stuff they like. Won't even be a blimp on the radar.
    I think in the final analysis this will be seen as a positive for Apple. THIS is how you handle a major public confidence issue! While Samsung eventually overcame their "little" issue it cost them plenty and they still are the butt of some jokes and some people probably won't buy Samsung over it. I don't think that will happen here, Apple immediately admitted to the problem, YES after their hand was caught in the cookie jar, and then immediately took the positive steps to correct the issue. I think they will be lauded in the end.
    01-02-2018 12:36 PM
    I’m no  fan boy. I have purchased my first watch and my second iPhone. If I had it my way I would still have a Palm device. . I still have my touchstone attached to my desk.

With that said, Apple should have come out and just told the consumer what they were doing and why. Bet you people would have been easier to the slow down than them hiding it. I’m glad they are replacing batteries a little cheaper but hopefully they have learned for future issues like this.
    pkcable and Tartarus like this.
    01-02-2018 12:40 PM
    I think in the final analysis this will be seen as a positive for Apple. THIS is how you handle a major public confidence issue! While Samsung eventually overcame their "little" issue it cost them plenty and they still are the butt of some jokes and some people probably won't buy Samsung over it. I don't think that will happen here, Apple immediately admitted to the problem, YES after their hand was caught in the cookie jar, and then immediately took the positive steps to correct the issue. I think they will be lauded in the end.
    Just look at the antenna issue that arose with the iPhone 4 back in 2010 and how people were throwing hissy-fits and even here back when it was TiPb (or may have still been The iPhone Blog). "That's why they made a bumper! They knew ahead of time that it would have this problem! I'm never buying again! Don't call me thin skinned! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I specifically remember a former opinionated member here at the time who had migrated from Crackberry who swore up and down this was her last Apple purchase and she went ahead posting questions about her iPhone 4S, lol

People just talk sh*t, make threats, and don't follow through on anything.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-02-2018 12:40 PM
    I specifically remember a former opinionated member here at the time who had migrated from Crackberry who swore up and down this was her last Apple purchase and she went ahead posting questions about her iPhone 4S, lol

People just talk sh*t, make threats, and don't follow through on anything.
    Oh yea I do remember! lol

In any event this thread has been VERY entertaining!
    Just_Me_D and BreakingKayfabe like this.
    01-02-2018 01:04 PM
    Apple has been working on new ways of battery management for quite a while now. Really nothing new here. Maybe if Apple would have included the info on the new battery management in the updated user guides, that may have helped some, though it seems most never read them.
    01-02-2018 06:19 PM