Will Apple’s battery fiasco negatively impact sales in 2018?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since some people failed to get the gist of the “responsibility” thread I created and wanted to focus on what Apple failed to do with regard to the recent battery fiasco, I decided to create another thread specifically about the battery debacle. Some people believe that Apple ‘forced’ people to upgrade whereas others believe that Apple deliberately slowed down performance to drive customers to upgrade. Still, others believe that Apple should be completely transparent especially to its loyal customers, but they weren’t. Okay, let’s cut to the chase. Since Apple has done such a bad thing, and millions of loyal customers have been duped, will “this fiasco” negatively impact sales, specifically in regard to the next iPhone, in 2018? I mean, loyal customers who’ve been betrayed wouldn’t dare do more business with that company and risk being betrayed again, would they? That wouldn’t be............logical......unless, of course, they really didn’t feel betrayed. I don’t know the answer. What do you think?

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't think this will impact Apple negatively. It's not just Apple with lower than expected sales. The economy is still readjusting. Here in Canada sales are down overall. Best indication is home sales. They have been slow for a couple of years now.

As for Apple and it's slowing down of devices I could care less. I keep my devices updated and have no issues. I think it's up to the public to educate themselves. Besides you don't honestly expect a cell phone to last forever. Just as you can't expect a computer to last forever. They're electronics.

I dislike the word fiasco. Apple is about sales. They're a business. I don't think Apple owes anyone an explanation. You buy a device, it has a warranty, Apple stands behind it's warranty policy, what more do you expect. I say be happy that they even update your device once it's out of warranty. Nobody is being forced to stay with Apple devices especially when there are so many other devices out there and at a much cheaper cost.

I do agree though, if people feel duped why the hell would you ever buy another device from Apple. You'd have to be crazy to support a company that did something that you felt was dishonest. I sure wouldn't. I'm just going to continue on enjoying all my Apple devices. Enough said.

Please this is only my opinion. Respect it as I will yours.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think so, mainly because the battery issues don’t affect the majority of users (500 complete charge cycles is more than most think) and users tend to be pretty forgiving. For example, the exploding Note 7 issue only temporarily hurt sales of Samsung devices.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It won’t hurt sales at all. If any, people will have their battery replaced sooner than ever because now they know it will make the phone faster and advertise their device as such when reselling it.
They will upgrade regardless of this fiasco, because unlike the people that only use their devices for 6 months and tend to switch a lot, people that only use iPhones and some other Apple devices will stay with Apple because the alternatives don’t suit their interests and needs.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The battery fiasco alone? Not enough to matter to Apple. It’ll be other things that ultimately negatively impact sales. The battery fiasco isn’t bad enough to seriously hurt sales.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well unless the next iPhone is compatible with the 600 MHz Tmobile network, I won't be upgrading, battery "issue" or not.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have VERY mixed feelings about this issue. I'm super peeved (thinking another word lol) that they were not transparent about the issue, THAT is the problem. I DO get it and understand their reasoning for doing what they did, BUT they should have been upfront about it. HOWEVER I am super IMPRESSED with the customer service response to the issue. I really think they have turned a negative in to a positive, by both replacing our batteries for 29 dollars AND offering refunds to those who paid for 79 dollar refunds.

Look Apple fans take brand loyalty to the next level. I don't think that's going to change. So no I don't think sales will be impacted.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Look Apple fans take brand loyalty to the next level. I don't think that's going to change. So no I don't think sales will be impacted.

How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolish belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings. Being that the “outcry” over the battery situation is almost non-existent, it blows the minds of some people who want it to be or think it should be an all-out rebellion. It never occurs to them that this is something that’s very low on the scale of life’s problems, especially when a new battery will fix the problem. Still, what doesn’t make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others....

Last edited:

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
No I do not think it will slow sales of Apple products if you prefer this system you will continue with it ,however it was decent of Apple to come forward of their statement that indeed they do slow down older devices .

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolishness belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings. Being that the “outcry” over the battery situation is almost non-existent, it blows the minds of some people who want it to be or think it should be. It never occurs to them that this is something that’s very low on the scale of life’s problems, especially when a new battery will fix the problem. Still, what doesn’t make sense to some people makes perfect sense to others....

People are watching too many Mr. Robot episodes and movies about corporations taking over the world. These same people think we must take matters in our own hands and stop these evil before it all happens.
Blame the TV.

If you ask me, and this is the fanboy in me at full glory, I’d rather have Apple ruling the world than any of the current political leaders in any country.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
People are watching too many Mr. Robot episodes and movies about corporations taking over the world. These same people think we must take matters in our own hands and stop these evil before it all happens.
Blame the TV.

If you ask me, and this is the fanboy in me at full glory, I’d rather have Apple ruling the world than any of the current politic leaders in any country.

Ha Ha Ha! Not me!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
How so? In addition, what is it about Apple and its products and services that keep their customers from buying other brands? Despite the foolishness belief of some Apple haters, Apple customers are not blind lemmings.

Actually some Apple customers are blind lemmings BUT I don't think that is generally the case. I believe Apple has earned it's reputation mainly by providing a quality product with superior customer service. What Apple does after the sale is just as important to them as what they do before the sale! I personally have had them go above and beyond for me as a customer and I have heard of many other positive stories. It's very rare that I hear of a negative experience with Apple customer service.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
OK, so I have to admit to being somewhat of a Apple Fangirl... and basically have what could be considered as blind faith in the company. There are so many Apple-haters out there, that when I see bad press about Apple, I tend to disregard it with little to no thought. So when this story blew up, my first reaction was something like "oh crap, there is something to this" and then "geez, they really screwed up".. and then... "ok, they're dealing with this, and I think in a responsible way".

I'm not going to enter into the fray of heated debate. Do I think Apple screwed up... yes. Do I think they have handled it in a responsible way, yes. Will it change my feelings about Apple... no. Bottom line... mistakes happen. Apple will have issues, and so will Samsung, Google Pixel, etc. It's just how it is and how it will be.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro