What about Apple’s “responsibility” to consumers?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm like Bobby Heenan. When Sting is going to jump off the top rope and Flair pulls Sherri in front of him to block Sting, I'll ask why Sting attacked Sherri.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem with what Apple is doing here is taking away the choice that customers could have, which is to choose to trottle CPU performance in favor of battery life, and making it a design choice of their own. The nature of such a decision is unlike the usual ones (shape, screen resolution, etc) and thus is having to answer for it. Customers have every right to question and this whole saga happened.

Apple has to deal with it, period, because they have an obligation with the customers. To think otherwise would be a detriment to Apple's business.

At least that's how I see it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The problem with what Apple is doing here is taking away the choice that customers could have, which is to choose to trottle CPU performance in favor of battery life, and making it a design choice of their own. The nature of such a decision is unlike the usual ones (shape, screen resolution, etc) and thus is having to answer for it. Customers have every right to question and this whole saga happened.

Apple has to deal with it, period, because they have an obligation with the customers. To think otherwise would be a detriment to Apple's business.

At least that's how I see it.

Good points but, isn’t Apple know for it’s tight ecosystem? It’s not the one who gives users tons of freedom of customization. Maybe they should change, that’s debatable, but it’s not the history they have built. I don’t mind that. I accept it knowing exactly what it is.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good points but, isn’t Apple know for it’s tight ecosystem? It’s not the one who gives users tons of freedom of customization. Maybe they should change, that’s debatable, but it’s not the history they have built. I don’t mind that. I accept it knowing exactly what it is.
There are things that Apple can decide to do as their identity and some not so. To a certain extent, they have to adhere to a service standard.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
There are things that Apple can decide to do as their identity and some not so. To a certain extent, they have to adhere to a service standard.

I’m not disagreeing totally, but since when have they adhered to a service standard? They have done the same thing since the beginning. No surprises. I just don’t think they will change much but you never know.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Respect because they spent some money? Lol keep on thinking that. We are nothing but a statistic. We aren’t special. Gotta get over yourself.

If I may, your thinking is extremely narrow, shallow and dismal. I would like to offer a counter argument as I have been on the other side of the world. To the dark side. Do you know how Microsoft treats their customers. Like ****. If you would have said that about them, I would have probably believed you. For Microsoft, we are nothing more than a number on the excel sheet. However, not for Apple.

Apple loves developers, and Apple can't afford to hate its customer base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I’m not disagreeing totally, but since when have they adhered to a service standard? They have done the same thing since the beginning. No surprises. I just don’t think they will change much but you never know.
It is the vocal minority that Apple is hearing the loudest from, out of everything related to this. So the fact that they are having lawsuits and doing battery replacements are a direct result that they can't be too indulgent.

Not even if not, they Are doing it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If I may, your thinking is extremely narrow, shallow and dismal. I would like to offer a counter argument as I have been on the other side of the world. To the dark side. Do you know how Microsoft treats their customers. Like ****. If you would have said that about them, I would have probably believed you. For Microsoft, we are nothing more than a number on the excel sheet. However, not for Apple.

Apple loves developers, and Apple can't afford to hate its customer base.

Apple’s business model is so great that they’ve convinced you that you’re that special. See where my philosophy on customers comes from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple’s business model is so great that they’ve convinced you that you’re that special. See where my philosophy on customers comes from?
I think Apple's business model stems from the fact that they can't please everyone. So they try to make you feel like their vision is the one true vision but it's just marketing speak imo.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think Apple's business model stems from the fact that they can't please everyone. So they try to make you feel like their vision is the one true vision but it's just marketing speak imo.

No company can please everyone. There are always going to be people who don’t like your product or how you do business. You have to take care of your true customers and Apple does just that. If it was just marketing speak they would not have been this successful for this long.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's naive. I think a lot of people have a genuine belief that the wellbeing of others should always come before a dollar so they are put off when they realize that isn't the reality. Morality will always clash with business so long as the dollar is in existence. This is why people were upset with Martin Shkreli for hiking the price of AIDS medication. As you mentioned, it's a business. So you wouldn't be upset with his actions. Others feel it to be wrong to place wealth over humanity. Some people don't care about that. Others do. I don't know if one is right or wrong but it's the way the world is and will always be.

I tend to side with the belief that we as a people should have more concern for one another. But I understand that many business' aren't going to operate that way.

Please don’t assume you know me because I stated facts!!! I never said anything about it being ok. I’m definitely not a fan of the increasing cost of healthcare, I just know that many in the business only care about their pockets. The same as other businesses, including Apple. I would love to believe that people really do care, but the fact of the matter is most don’t. Unless the business is non-profit, there is no real reason to believe the underlying reason for doing anything they do isn’t to make money. I guess I’m a pessimist in this regard because I’ve been through and seen way too much to think people care about anyone other than themselves. I also think many people are upset because it happened to them. Most people don’t care whether their friend or family member has a slow device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Please don’t assume you know me because I stated facts!!! I never said anything about it being ok. I’m definitely not a fan of the increasing cost of healthcare, I just know that many in the business only care about their pockets. The same as other businesses, including Apple. I would love to believe that people really do care, but the fact of the matter is most don’t. Unless the business is non-profit, there is no real reason to believe the underlying reason for doing anything they do isn’t to make money. I guess I’m a pessimist in this regard because I’ve been through and seen way too much to think people care about anyone other than themselves. I also think many people are upset because it happened to them. Most people don’t care whether their friend or family member has a slow device.

You said Apples purpose, like any other business, is to make money and you aren’t mad at them for that. Sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning.

I just don’t completely agree that business who are for profit have no concern for their customers. Apple has shown that not to be completely true. For example, their Distracted Driving response offers no real financial advantage to them. It’s a response to dangers of distracted driving. One can say that is a move motivated by their concern for the safety of their customers.

I just don’t think being for profit and caring for your customers are items that have to clash in all businesses. And I don’t think people are naive for placing an expectation on companies to be mindful of their customers.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You said Apples purpose, like any other business, is to make money and you aren’t mad at them for that. Sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning.

I just don’t completely agree that business who are for profit have no concern for their customers. Apple has shown that not to be completely true. For example, their Distracted Driving response offers no real financial advantage to them. It’s a response to dangers of distracted driving. One can say that is a move motivated by their concern for the safety of their customers.

I just don’t think being for profit and caring for your customers are items that have to clash in all businesses. And I don’t think people are naive for placing an expectation on companies to be mindful of their customers.

I can totally see how that was interpreted incorrectly. Me saying I’m not mad means exactly that. I have other things to focus on, instead of worrying about if a company cares about me or not.

DND while driving can be seen as actual caring or it can be seen as marketing because safety is huge right now. I, for one, didn’t need DND while driving to keep me from being distracted. Yes it’s a great feature, but if I don’t want to be distracted, there are things I can proactively do to help with that. I just think society as a whole puts way too much emphasis on the responsibility others have to us, instead of taking the responsibility for ourselves.

It’s definitely nice to have an expectation of a company caring for its consumers, but life goes on if they don’t. I just don’t put that much thought into it. Having too many expectations will, most likely, lead to disappointment.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro