Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I ended up with an X and hate the notch. Even three months later it's ugly.

You can sell the X and get an 8+. I think I honestly would have been happier with an 8+ but I’m sticking with both Xes. I do notice Face ID just doesn’t work as well as Touch ID, I end up typing my passcode quite often.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the X is an awesome phone... but I chose the 8+, for many reasons already stated here. I wanted a bigger phone, and touch id. Plus I loved the Gold color (which has pinkish tones).

I didn't care about the notch on the X... and had I chosen the X I would have gotten used to it. I have no regrets at all.

I don't think one is better than the other... I think that we all have different tastes, preferences and needs. This is not a competition... to each his own!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I seriously don't notice the notch unless I'm really looking at it. As far as FaceID vs TouchID, for me personally FaceID is vastly superior. I would lock myself out and have to PIN unlock at least once a day on my 6s+ and 7+ because it didn't want to read my fingerprint. Only very occasionally do I have to try a second time to unlock with FaceID and it's usually user error in that case.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You can sell the X and get an 8+. I think I honestly would have been happier with an 8+ but I’m sticking with both Xes. I do notice Face ID just doesn’t work as well as Touch ID, I end up typing my passcode quite often.

Really? I have had no issues with FaceID and I used to always have TouchID issues. The only time I hafe issues with FaceID is when I am wearing a specific pair of sunglasses.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I seriously don't notice the notch unless I'm really looking at it. As far as FaceID vs TouchID, for me personally FaceID is vastly superior. I would lock myself out and have to PIN unlock at least once a day on my 6s+ and 7+ because it didn't want to read my fingerprint. Only very occasionally do I have to try a second time to unlock with FaceID and it's usually user error in that case.
I agree, FaceID is vastly superior to TouchID. I used to always have issues with TouchID on my previous iPhones and now the only time I have issues with FaceID is when I am wearing a specific pair of sunglasses. About the only time I prefer TouchID over FaceID is when I am driving and need to unlock my phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... I do notice Face ID just doesn’t work as well as Touch ID, I end up typing my passcode quite often.

Thankfully, that has not been my experience. FaceID works better than TouchID for “me”, but as I’ve stated on numerous occasions, TouchID is definitely the faster of the two.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully, that has not been my experience. FaceID works better than TouchID for “me”, but as I’ve stated on numerous occasions, TouchID is definitely the faster of the two.

When I had my X, I really liked Face ID. It worked perfectly in most situations. The time it was frustrating was if my phone was flat on a table or desk. Having to pick up the phone was less convenient. But I started using my Samsung adjustable wireless charger and it put it at the right angle to solve that problem. Kinda cool to glance over and have the phone unlocked before I could even reach for it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When I had my X, I really liked Face ID. It worked perfectly in most situations. The time it was frustrating was if my phone was flat on a table or desk.

I usually just lean over it a little & it opens up while on the desk or table, no need to pick it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I usually just lean over it a little & it opens up while on the desk or table, no need to pick it.

That works too. I just found that annoying compared to using a fingerprint scanner. The next best thing was my wireless charger pointing it right at me. Just a glance and it would unlock pretty quickly. Still have to swipe up though. Not a huge deal and didn’t really bother me that much.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

That’s why I went with the 8 Plus. I use Apple Pay nearly every day and Touch ID is lightning fast.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Folks will like the X-styled phones more and more. Face ID will get even better, though it’s already good. Once you get used to not having the ginormous bezels using a device with them can feel odd. The gestures get natural pretty quick and tap to wake is nice. That said, I could still easily enjoy an a 7/8+. If they do, in fact, come out with the rumored 6.5” X style that’ll be even better, IMO.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Folks will like the X-styled phones more and more. Face ID will get even better, though it’s already good. Once you get used to not having the ginormous bezels using a device with them can feel odd. The gestures get natural pretty quick and tap to wake is nice. That said, I could still easily enjoy an a 7/8+. If they do, in fact, come out with the rumored 6.5” X style that’ll be even better, IMO.

Agreed. People also act like Face ID is much slower than Touch ID. That is false. All you do is swipe up and your in. Not sure how that much longer if even longer at all. Face ID is great for a first generation. I still remember how slow and awful Touch ID was on the first generation scanner.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think Face ID also gets faster and faster on my devices. It rarely fails now so I don’t know if it’s continuing to learn my face. I love just looking at my device and having it unlock. It’ll be interesting to see if Samsung and other Android OEMs can seriously compete. I read that the current gen retina scanners, etc. fail in comparison to Face ID.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice