Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That notch is hideous!

I don't hate it as much as some do. It doesn't honestly bother me that much. Especially knowing all the tech crammed in there. My issue is with the software implementation I've seen so far. I think Apple could be handling that a little better. Good thing is software can be updated.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would say that the price is even more hideous!

The price is hideous as well! I'm starting to think that @MizWylie and @Retinella are right and that I should just get the 8 Plus.

I don't complain too much about pricing with Apple because their great products justify my purchases. That said, the iPhone X is sort of like the Apple Watch Series 0. I find it to be a first-gen "beta" version of something that is going to improve much more in its next iteration. So by this time next year I can justify myself spending $1,000 or a little more on it.

I can justify spending $799 for an 8 Plus today because it's an iteration of something we've had already and has its improvements.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, I would pick up the iPhone 8 Plus. Having a lower resolution screen will make the performance a tad better and the battery life will be just as good or better than we are used to 😃 Apparently media content would also appear bigger because the screen is wider, so that a "plus" for me.

While the iPhone X is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have it, to me, the extras that the iPhone X provides me isn't really worth the price bump. Especially the $1,149 model.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't complain too much about pricing with Apple because their great products justify my purchases. That said, the iPhone X is sort of like the Apple Watch Series 0. I find it to be a first-gen "beta" version of something that is going to improve much more in its next iteration. So by this time next year I can justify myself spending $1,000 or a little more on it.

I can justify spending $799 for an 8 Plus today because it's an iteration of something we've had already and has its improvements.

Agreed! I think the X is too much of a beta product right now and that is why I won't justify the $1,150 price tag.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Agreed! I think the X is too much of a beta product right now and that is why I won't justify the $1,150 price tag.

I don’t have that money and don’t need to justify nor dismiss a product beforehand.
The first version of whichever device has never withheld me of purchasing it though.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

I feel the exact opposite. I love beta testing. Love new technology. I’m all for paying the premium price to have something new to mess around with and help work the bugs out of. It’s a past time of mine really.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I feel the exact opposite. I love beta testing. Love new technology. I’m all for paying the premium price to have something new to mess around with and help work the bugs out of. It’s a past time of mine really.

This was honestly my attitude in years past. Then I just stopped caring. I like my products to just work when I get up in the morning. I don't feel like testing anymore.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
This was honestly my attitude in years past. Then I just stopped caring. I like my products to just work when I get up in the morning. I don't feel like testing anymore.

I agree with both of you as I've beta tested a lot of software in the last fifteen years and enjoy it. However battery life is my number one priority right now.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
For me, I would pick up the iPhone 8 Plus. Having a lower resolution screen will make the performance a tad better and the battery life will be just as good or better than we are used to Apparently media content would also appear bigger because the screen is wider, so that a "plus" for me.

While the iPhone X is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have it, to me, the extras that the iPhone X provides me isn't really worth the price bump. Especially the $1,149 model.

Great comments! I'm mainly concerned with battery life and is the X worth $200 more than the 8 Plus.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I don’t have that money and don’t need to justify nor dismiss a product beforehand.
The first version of whichever device has never withheld me of purchasing it though.
I'm not dismissing what you're saying, quite the opposite. What phone are you getting?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely a little odd going from 16:9 to 18:9. I went from the 5.5 inch 7 Plus to the 6.2 inch S8+. The S8+ felt like a smaller screen because it's more narrow. I preordered the 8 so I'm going back down to a 4.7 inch screen. I'm not planning on keeping it though. I'm using JoD to get the X most likely (99% sure). There is a tiny part of me that wants to get back to a larger 16:9 screen, so the 8 Plus isn't quite off the table for me.

The s8+ was 18:9? The X is 19.5:9, with a steep diagonal measurement. My son uses the s8+.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not dismissing what you're saying, quite the opposite. What phone are you getting?

I’m skipping this year for 2 reasons.
1, my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB still suffices
2, my contract ends next year around this time, allowing me to upgrade to a new iPhone.

For a moment there I interpreted your posts as if you were saying the iPhone X wasn’t that much of an upgrade and not worth the trouble of beta testing. I just don’t agree with the X being a beta product.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I’m skipping this year for 2 reasons.
1, my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB still suffices
2, my contract ends next year around this time, allowing me to upgrade to a new iPhone.

For a moment there I interpreted your posts as if you were saying the iPhone X wasn’t that much of an upgrade and not worth the trouble of beta testing. I just don’t agree with the X being a beta product.

My apologies for the conclusion! I can see why others think the X is a beta product. Regardless, I enjoy beta testing however battery life is my largest concern right now.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely going for the X. It hits two big points I'm looking for. Bigger screen than the non Plus model in a form factor smaller than the huge bezeled Plus. Price? Planning on going for the 64GB vs. the 128 7+ I have now. I've only used 42/128GB so far after a year. I had no problems with my previous 64GB 6s+ either and only went 128 because 32 would have been too small. I don't do a huge amount of video and any I do will be quickly offloaded to my PC for editing anyway. So my net cost increase is like $5 a month on the Upgrade Program vs. my 7+ and unless it turns out to be a dud design or something super amazing happens next year, I'll probably hang onto it for the full two year financing of the Upgrade Program this time.