Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have anything against the iPhone 8/8 Plus per say, I'm just tired of the same design of the iPhone 6/6s Plus after four iterations. Because I like Apple products and the overall user experience, I adjusted to the very larger bezels for the last three years and now it's time to move on. My next iPhone will be the iPhone "X". Is the X perfect...NO, but it sure beats (IMHO) having the same design for 4 years in a row. As with most new phones (except the iPhone 6 thru 8) a period of adjustment is required. I welcome the challenge as I have done with every new phone along with new specifications.

I agree that the 8/8 Plus design is dated being four generations old now. That is one of the reasons that I am still looking at the X. However, I do have a lot of cases and screen protectors for my 7 Plus that will work on the 8 Plus so it is a double edged sword. I am sure that no other phone manufacture could get by with having the same design for four generations.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the 8/8 Plus design is dated being four generations old now. That is one of the reasons that I am still looking at the X. However, I do have a lot of cases and screen protectors for my 7 Plus that will work on the 8 Plus so it is a double edged sword. I am sure that no other phone manufacture could get by with having the same design for four generations.

I’m not entirely sure about 7 Plus cases fitting the 8 Plus. Some will for sure, but the 8 is a little thicker than the 7. 8 cases will fit 7, but probably not all 7 cases will fit 8.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I’m not entirely sure about 7 Plus cases fitting the 8 Plus. Some will for sure, but the 8 is a little thicker than the 7. 8 cases will fit 7, but probably not all 7 cases will fit 8.

Hopefully the apple ones do- This thread has me very seriously thinking about the 8 over the X

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I've heard that they will, but I figure you are more knowledgeable than the person who told me that the 7/7 Plus cases will work on the 8/8 Plus.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'll be getting the 8 Friday and the X when it's available.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I preordered the 8, then using JoD to get the X. I'm currently using a S8+ and can't wait to get back to iOS. I'm worried about the tiny screen on the 8 until I can get the X though. I haven't used a 4.7 inch screen since the 6 was released.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've heard that they will, but I figure you are more knowledgeable than the person who told me that the 7/7 Plus cases will work on the 8/8 Plus.

We’ll see how much of a difference that 0.4mm makes when people start getting their 8’s in. I’m just saying I’m hesitant about 7’s fitting 8’s. My 0.2mm back protector on my 7 Plus makes some cases not sit right.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm doing. I preordered the 8, then using JoD to get the X. I'm currently using a S8+ and can't wait to get back to iOS. I'm worried about the tiny screen on the 8 until I can get the X though. I haven't used a 4.7 inch screen since the 6 was released.

I know the feeling, my company issued 7 feels small.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
We’ll see how much of a difference that 0.4mm makes when people start getting their 8’s in. I’m just saying I’m hesitant about 7’s fitting 8’s. My 0.2mm back protector on my 7 Plus makes some cases not sit right.

I'm hoping they work fine as I have several cases for my 7 Plus.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So are you going with the 8 Plus?
I agree with what you're saying about the size differences though.

I would get the 8 Plus if I were upgrading. I'm waiting until next year for several reasons, including I want to see if a larger version of the X is offered. That, I might be interested in.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully the apple ones do- This thread has me very seriously thinking about the 8 over the X

If money were no object, I would go with the X over the 8. If the smaller form factor was what I wanted. But I prefer the wider screen of the 8 Plus more than the X screen. If you currently use the 7, you'd probably like the X. I think some upgrading from the 7 Plus to the X may be disappointed in the X screen size, IMO.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If money were no object, I would go with the X over the 8. If the smaller form factor was what I wanted. But I prefer the wider screen of the 8 Plus more than the X screen. If you currently use the 7, you'd probably like the X. I think some upgrading from the 7 Plus to the X may be disappointed in the X screen size, IMO.

I have the 7 Plus and like the screen so that's a good point as well, thanks.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I haven't used a 4.7" since my 6S, so I'm a little nervous. With that being said, I'm excited to downsize. Friday is almost here

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

It's definitely a little odd going from 16:9 to 18:9. I went from the 5.5 inch 7 Plus to the 6.2 inch S8+. The S8+ felt like a smaller screen because it's more narrow. I preordered the 8 so I'm going back down to a 4.7 inch screen. I'm not planning on keeping it though. I'm using JoD to get the X most likely (99% sure). There is a tiny part of me that wants to get back to a larger 16:9 screen, so the 8 Plus isn't quite off the table for me.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I haven't used a 4.7" since my 6S, so I'm a little nervous. With that being said, I'm excited to downsize. Friday is almost here

I only went with the 8 b/c it was $0 down w/ JoD. I would've preferred the Plus. I didn't want to put a down payment on a phone I didn't really have any intention on keeping for very long. I am interested to see what I think about the smaller screen. Going from the 6.2 inch S8+ down to 4.7 is a change to say the least.