Debate: iPhone 8 Plus Versus iPhone X

iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X

• Total voters

kargurin

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I agree that the X is an experiment and have some bugs to work out. With the same form factor being used for four generations it is kind of old and needs refreshed. Speaking of Sammy I do have a Note8 that was preordered and will be here the first week in October.
That was a tough call for me choosing the s8 plus over the Note. Did it purely on battery size. On the other hand you get 2 gb more memory which does seem to make a difference. I'll say this about the 7 plus (I mistakenly referred to it as the 6 plus above.... See what I mean about the design being old!) Never had to worry about juice. But finally the sub par screen and big bezels just wore me down.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think we could be surprised by battery life. Of course the 8/8+ will be comparable to the 7/7+, and the new tech makes the X questionable, but I’m sure we will experience a phone that can handle being unplugged all day. Individual usage is always going to give some better and some worse. OLED tech should use less since the actual black colors are going to be “turned off” pixels. The radio antennas aren’t changing, and with iOS 11 coming long before it’s out, every one will have a good idea of how that is going to affect battery life as well. It’s a waiting game at this point, but I don’t see it being as abysmal as people seem to think it will.

Well said. My work issued 7 doesn't make it through the day whereas my personal 7 Plus does. Since the X has two hours more battery life than the 7 that still puts my 7 Plus as the winner. However I'd like to Dee real world usage not the numbers that apple posts on their site that were probably lab created in an environment with perfect reception.

derekgraham78

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
If I can get a new phone it will be the iPhone X since it looks the most new and personally I’m digging everything it is offering. I’m a iOS guy give me the latest in iPhone tech and I’m happy. I’m not interested in a android phone

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That was a tough call for me choosing the s8 plus over the Note. Did it purely on battery size. On the other hand you get 2 gb more memory which does seem to make a difference. I'll say this about the 7 plus (I mistakenly referred to it as the 6 plus above.... See what I mean about the design being old!) Never had to worry about juice. But finally the sub par screen and big bezels just wore me down.

I got the Note8 because I had the Note 7 and got the $425 off, otherwise I'd have looked at the S8+ again. I've had all of the Note series since the original and I haven't had any issues with any of them.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If I can get a new phone it will be the iPhone X since it looks the most new and personally I’m digging everything it is offering. I’m a iOS guy give me the latest in iPhone tech and I’m happy. I’m not interested in a android phone

I don't dislike the X aside from the notch and the battery life compared to the 8 Plus.

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I’m going for the X. I’ve never been concerned about battery life because I’m never far from an outlet or a portable charger. I’m not concerned about face ID vs Touch ID. I could not care less about animojis. I am a little concerned about the removal of reachability but I am most concerned about camera and size and those are the deciding factors. I have had the plus phones since the 6 plus and as much as I love the screen size I hate the overall size and the X perfectly solved that problem.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’m going for the X. I’ve been wanting a larger display at a smaller form factor than the Plus and it’s OLED too. The design is beautiful, the new space gray and the polished stainless steel makes the device ‘pop’ out more. I believe that the X is going to introduce a whole new user experience that is going to be revolutionary :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting the 8 Friday and the X when it's available. I currently carry a 6s Plus & a 7 Plus..use to also have a 6s but 3 was a lot to carry lol. Although I love the wide screens of my pluses, the overall size of the device has become a pain. The final straw was an awards ceremony I attended last week & those pluses felt like bricks in my clutch, which became tiring after a few hours. I also despise the home button🤷🏾*♀️

So my choices stem from me wanting to downsize & I did love the glass on the 4S Since I carry 2 devices, I'll replace the 6s Plus with the 8 & I'll either replace the 7 Plus (give to my daughter) with the X or keep the 7 plus for my office & still purchase the X (I pay for 3 lines, so it's no biggie). As far as battery life goes, I'm not really concerned. I'm a heavy user on both devices & I can make it a full day. I do keep an extra charger in my bag just in case, but I barely use it.

If you're leaning towards the 8 Plus, definitely go with that one. First mind is usually right, plus you said you don't feel the X is worth the extra money & the notch is bugging you. No need to get a device just because it's considered a flagship. Get what works for you. You're not missing out on anything because whatever device you choose will have exactly what you need. Not what others think you need!!

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the 8 Plus. Still has Touch ID. Mostly the same internals. Lots cheaper too. Mainly because it has Touch ID. For some reason the face ID doesn't really convince me as of yet.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’m going for the X. I’ve been wanting a larger display at a smaller form factor than the Plus and it’s OLED too. The design is beautiful, the new space gray and the polished stainless steel makes the device ‘pop’ out more. I believe that the X is going to introduce a whole new user experience that is going to be revolutionary :)

The X screen size is the same width as the 8, with both at 375 points across. The X is just a little taller.
In comparison to the 8 Plus, the 8 Plus gains True Tone "true color" display technology, as well as an upgraded camera, the same A11 SoC and wireless charging capabilities as the iPhone X.
The X has a better camera, oled screen, animoji, Face ID, and edge to edge screen. Photos and videos taken on the 7 Plus will be cropped on the X, unless you tap the screen twice. Then you see the images entirely, but smaller and not edge to edge. The 8 Plus actually has a slightly larger screen in total space. It's definitely wider than the X. I prefer the wider screen with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Bezels don't matter to me, and neither would the notch on the X. The only feature on the X that the 8 Plus doesn't have that I would like are the animojis. I would have fun with those. Here's the screen difference between the 8 Plus and the X.
403df15bef9e7489bec6c74d5738c53b.jpg

For me, the X would feel too small, more like the 4.7" models. I have tons of custom wallpapers that would no longer work on the X. If the X had the same screen width as the 8 Plus, I'd be looking at it a lot harder. It's just too tall and skinny for me. I don't like my women that way either.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have anything against the iPhone 8/8 Plus per say, I'm just tired of the same design of the iPhone 6/6s Plus after four iterations. Because I like Apple products and the overall user experience, I adjusted to the very larger bezels for the last three years and now it's time to move on. My next iPhone will be the iPhone "X". Is the X perfect...NO, but it sure beats (IMHO) having the same design for 4 years in a row. As with most new phones (except the iPhone 6 thru 8) a period of adjustment is required. I welcome the challenge as I have done with every new phone along with new specifications.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I’m going for the X. I’ve never been concerned about battery life because I’m never far from an outlet or a portable charger. I’m not concerned about face ID vs Touch ID. I could not care less about animojis. I am a little concerned about the removal of reachability but I am most concerned about camera and size and those are the deciding factors. I have had the plus phones since the 6 plus and as much as I love the screen size I hate the overall size and the X perfectly solved that problem.

Battery life is my biggest concern. Concerning TouchID versus FaceID, they both have their pros and cons. If anything I wouldn't have to worry about the TouchID sensor being dirty so FaceID should have a higher success rate. As for the animojis, those are something that I will never use, and reachability has been turned off since my iPhone 6.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

The smaller form factor would be nice, and that is part of what has me debating this.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting the 8 Friday and the X when it's available. I currently carry a 6s Plus & a 7 Plus..use to also have a 6s but 3 was a lot to carry lol. Although I love the wide screens of my pluses, the overall size of the device has become a pain. The final straw was an awards ceremony I attended last week & those pluses felt like bricks in my clutch, which became tiring after a few hours. I also despise the home button????????????*♀️

So my choices stem from me wanting to downsize & I did love the glass on the 4S Since I carry 2 devices, I'll replace the 6s Plus with the 8 & I'll either replace the 7 Plus (give to my daughter) with the X or keep the 7 plus for my office & still purchase the X (I pay for 3 lines, so it's no biggie). As far as battery life goes, I'm not really concerned. I'm a heavy user on both devices & I can make it a full day. I do keep an extra charger in my bag just in case, but I barely use it.

If you're leaning towards the 8 Plus, definitely go with that one. First mind is usually right, plus you said you don't feel the X is worth the extra money & the notch is bugging you. No need to get a device just because it's considered a flagship. Get what works for you. You're not missing out on anything because whatever device you choose will have exactly what you need. Not what others think you need!!

Well said ma'am! I do like the smaller form factor on the X with a large screen. I went from a 6 Plus to a 6S because I wanted the smaller form factor only to regret it a few months later as I liked the larger screen size, so I upgraded to the 7 Plus.
You are right that the "First mind is usually right," but I am still not 100% on the 8 Plus.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the 8 Plus. Still has Touch ID. Mostly the same internals. Lots cheaper too. Mainly because it has Touch ID. For some reason the face ID doesn't really convince me as of yet.

In the TouchID versus FaceID debate I can go either way honestly. On TouchID I have to wipe off the sensor frequently, but with FaceID there should be a higher success rate. But I do agree with what you're saying about the 8 Plus!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The X screen size is the same width as the 8, with both at 375 points across. The X is just a little taller.
In comparison to the 8 Plus, the 8 Plus gains True Tone "true color" display technology, as well as an upgraded camera, the same A11 SoC and wireless charging capabilities as the iPhone X.
The X has a better camera, oled screen, animoji, Face ID, and edge to edge screen. Photos and videos taken on the 7 Plus will be cropped on the X, unless you tap the screen twice. Then you see the images entirely, but smaller and not edge to edge. The 8 Plus actually has a slightly larger screen in total space. It's definitely wider than the X. I prefer the wider screen with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Bezels don't matter to me, and neither would the notch on the X. The only feature on the X that the 8 Plus doesn't have that I would like are the animojis. I would have fun with those. Here's the screen difference between the 8 Plus and the X.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170919/403df15bef9e7489bec6c74d5738c53b.jpg
For me, the X would feel too small, more like the 4.7" models. I have tons of custom wallpapers that would no longer work on the X. If the X had the same screen width as the 8 Plus, I'd be looking at it a lot harder. It's just too tall and skinny for me. I don't like my women that way either.

So are you going with the 8 Plus?
I agree with what you're saying about the size differences though.