Why complain to Apple when it’s your own fault?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m always amazed at people, after claiming to have done research on the latest smartphone brands, choose the iPhone and then complain about it not having the capabilities they need although the other brands do. Shouldn’t their complaint be to themselves for their own poor decision? Seriously! If you had done the research like you’ve claimed then you should have known that the iPhone was not the right device for your specific needs and that leads me to ask why did you buy the iPhone instead of the device that best suited your needs?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is that people become extremely invested in a particular ecosystem. For me to leave Apple and switch to Android, for example, would be very costly. So these users are essentially “stuck” and can only hope that Apple innovates at the level they desire.

Honestly, I understand the frustration. I’m not at all dissatisfied with Apple (my feelings are quite contrary) but many arguments can be made that Apple lacks features that competitors have been offering for a while now. They’re buying Apple devices to have the latest of what APPLE offers but they’re still wanting more.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is that people become extremely invested in a particular ecosystem. For me to leave Apple and switch to Android, for example, would be very costly. So these users are essentially “stuck” and can only hope that Apple innovates at the level they desire.

Honestly, I understand the frustration. I’m not at all dissatisfied with Apple (my feelings are quite contrary) but many arguments can be made that Apple lacks features that competitors have been offering for a while now. They’re buying Apple devices to have the latest of what APPLE offers but they’re still wanting more.

No no no. I understand all of that. I’m referring to the decision to purchase a device that didn’t fit their smartphone needs without any ecosystem investment. I suppose I should have mentioned that.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
If you want the latest features, no matter how poorly they work, get Android. I don't mind Apple perfecting things slowly. That has always been their objective and it's well know. People should know that before buying.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No no no. I understand all of that. I’m referring to the decision to purchase a device that didn’t fit their smartphone needs without any ecosystem investment. I suppose I should have mentioned that.

Oh gotcha. Well that’s their own darn fault then lol! Don’t spend a bunch of money on a device and then complain that it doesn’t have the features you wanted. If you want the latest bells and whistles buy a Samsung. Apple has little interest in being first to market.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel like it's a cultural thing now. People are being raised with no consequences for their actions and are getting a false sense of entitlement. That tied in with large companies being demonized now everywhere leads to everyone feeling whatever smartphone brand they buy owes them (fill in the blank). It's definitely rightful to expect certain things out of expensive objects, but you should at least do your part in researching each phone your interested in and get the one that meets your needs the best. I think Apple gets a lot of flack because people see them everywhere so they must think they work for everyone and blindly get them for a status object. I remember the first computer my parents ever got was a windows 95 computer. It cost 3 grand and wouldn't even get online. Yes a thousand dollar iPhone is expensive but technology products do way more for way less now a days than they used to. Heck my parents paid $800 for a 27 inch Sony flat screen when they first came out and it was only 720p now that was 10 plus years ago and the thing still runs like a champ but you can buy a 55 inch 4K tv for $400ish now.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
People just love to complain and never want to take responsibility for their actions. It's Apple's fault they didn't get what they wanted, even though Apple never said they had it.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
If you want the latest features, no matter how poorly they work, get Android. I don't mind Apple perfecting things slowly. That has always been their objective and it's well know. People should know that before buying.

Apple is not perfecting things any more than Samsung or any other top Android phone makers. They are so far behind that's why all of the major updates for the iPhoneX. This is coming from someone who is not so narrow minded to stick to one platform. I buy the latest iPhone and Android phone every year. I currently do not have a current flagship Android phone because I sold my S7 Edge waiting on the Pixel 2. I am using an iPhone 7 until the X comes out. I have no need to bash the other platform because they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...This is coming from someone who is not so narrow minded to stick to one platform....
Wait a minute! Narrow minded? That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? I mean, is it wrong for someone to find the one thing that does everything they need it to do and then stick with it? Is being at peace also being narrow minded?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple is not perfecting things any more than Samsung or any other top Android phone makers. They are so far behind that's why all of the major updates for the iPhoneX. This is coming from someone who is not so narrow minded to stick to one platform. I buy the latest iPhone and Android phone every year. I currently do not have a current flagship Android phone because I sold my S7 Edge waiting on the Pixel 2. I am using an iPhone 7 until the X comes out. I have no need to bash the other platform because they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as perfecting, I was referring to their ecosystem.
Just because some new feature comes out doesn't mean it will fit comfortably with your other features. That can produce fragmentation. Apple wants their devices to create an enjoyable experience and their success backs that up.

I have used all of the platforms, Apple, Android, WM, BlackBerry, etc. and you are correct, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect platform or phone. That variety gives us choices though so most of us can find the one that comes closest to fitting our needs.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Wait a minute! Narrow minded? That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? I mean, is it wrong for someone to find the one thing that does everything they need it to do and then stick with it? Is being at peace also being narrow minded?
"If you want the latest features, no matter how poorly they work, get Android" That first statement is a narrow minded as it gets.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used all of the platforms, Apple, Android, WM, BlackBerry, etc. and you are correct, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no perfect platform or phone. That variety gives us choices though so most of us can find the one that comes closest to fitting our needs.

Well stated. Unfortunately, the problem arises all too often when people who prefer one platform over the other wants you to enjoy the one they prefer.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Well stated. Unfortunately, the problem arises all too often when people who prefer one platform over the other wants you to enjoy the one they prefer.

Yup, it does seem to be the current fad.
Some of it is driven by the platforms themselves with advertising, showing how their platform is better than the competition. Remember the Mac vs. PC commercials? Those were brilliant and maybe some of the animosity is left over from that.
I don't know, it gives us something to talk about in our spare time. I'm mostly entertained from it.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Very well said, sir! But I want to hit something specific that you said: “So these users are essentially “stuck” and can only hope that Apple innovates at the level they desire.” That seems to be the case with a lot of people that I know.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
"If you want the latest features, no matter how poorly they work, get Android" That first statement is a narrow minded as it gets.

I shouldn't have used the word poorly, I was just trying to make a point. Android generally gets many features first. Apple waits until they feel they work best with their ecosystem.
I hope this clears things up. I wasn't trying to be narrow minded.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Apple has little interest in being first to market.

I have always been curious about this. Perhaps it's just the choice of words (though, I've heard the phrase many times). I have always wondered if enthusiasts of iOS wouldn't prefer at least a second manufacturer for that system? The totalitarian nature of Apple definitely has it's advantages, but it's easy to become stagnant without due competitive pressure.

I have heard the phrase coined a few different ways "no interest in being first, wait until it's right for the system.." etc, etc. But what if the truth really is they just have the luxury of a captive consumer? How do you know, since there is no competitive pressure, that Apple simply isn't just resting on their laurels, being lazy and coming to market late?

Serious inquiry.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have always been curious about this. Perhaps it's just the choice of words (though, I've heard the phrase many times). I have always wondered if enthusiasts of iOS wouldn't prefer at least a second manufacturer for that system? The totalitarian nature of Apple definitely has it's advantages, but it's easy to become stagnant without due competitive pressure.

I have heard the phrase coined a few different ways "no interest in being first, wait until it's right for the system.." etc, etc. But what if the truth really is they just have the luxury of a captive consumer? How do you know, since there is no competitive pressure, that Apple simply isn't just resting on their laurels, being lazy and coming to market late?

Serious inquiry.

Captive consumer? No. Content consumer? Yes. Apple consumers, in my opinion, relish ease of use, quality build, and outstanding customer service. Many of those consumers know and understand that other brands may offer more for less, until the iPhone quit satisfying their needs, they will stick with it. Period. That’s not being captive. That’s being content. If iPhone users as a whole demanded to have what Apple’s competitors offered, Apple will indeed oblige, but like any great company, Apple knows it’s consumers and moves at a pace suitable to them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro