Why complain to Apple when it’s your own fault?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Captive consumer? No. Content consumer? Yes. Apple consumers, in my opinion, relish ease of use, quality build, and outstanding customer service. Many of those consumers know and understand that other brands may offer more for less, until the iPhone quit satisfying their needs, they will stick with it. Period. That’s not being captive. That’s being content. If iPhone users as a whole demanded to have what Apple’s competitors offered, Apple will indeed oblige, but like any great company, Apple knows it’s consumers and moves at a pace suitable to them.

We'll I guess we'll never know since there is only one choice for iOS. I definitely appreciate being content, but as the start of thread stated, not all on iOS are. Some are truly the captured consumer with nowhere to turn if they want to stay on iOS and not have to reinvest in another ecosystem.

If the theory is everyone that's on iOS is content and happy, I guess I'd find that a challenging reality.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
At this day and age, people tend to blame others for their own faults instead of looking within and see what they did wrong.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If the theory is everyone that's on iOS is content and happy, I guess I'd find that a challenging reality.

Obviously not everyone can be content and happy but I think the vast majority are. For most, their device does everything they need it to do. These users would be content and happy on Android or any other smartphone too though. We tech enthusiasts, spending a good portion of our time combing through tech forums, listening to tech podcasts, and shifting through RSS feeds are a very special breed of user. We have specific needs and very much understand the differences between ecosystems. We nitpick and tend to find issues with small things that most users don’t even notice.

So, yes, I really think the vast majority of users are content and happy—but we are not the majority.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have always been curious about this. Perhaps it's just the choice of words (though, I've heard the phrase many times). I have always wondered if enthusiasts of iOS wouldn't prefer at least a second manufacturer for that system? The totalitarian nature of Apple definitely has it's advantages, but it's easy to become stagnant without due competitive pressure.

I have heard the phrase coined a few different ways "no interest in being first, wait until it's right for the system.." etc, etc. But what if the truth really is they just have the luxury of a captive consumer? How do you know, since there is no competitive pressure, that Apple simply isn't just resting on their laurels, being lazy and coming to market late?

Serious inquiry.

Just now seeing this post. Not sure how it got away from me!

I’ve asked myself the same thing but then I always have to ask this: Why would Apple NOT want to be earlier to market with new technology unless it were to make sure it is mature enough to not interfere with user experience and do it better than the competition? Apple, just like any other smartphone manufacturer, wants to have as many people using their devices as possible. So this means retaining existing customers as well as bringing on new customers. So you’d think that they would want to be first to market with everything then, right? But they’re not. Not even close. We are sitting here talking about a new life-altering iPhone that’s going to have inductive charging, an OLED display, face recognition, and a nearly bezel-less design when, in fact, all of those features have been in many Android devices for quite some time. Are they first to market? Nope. Are they going to do those things better than the competition? Probably.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We'll I guess we'll never know since there is only one choice for iOS. I definitely appreciate being content, but as the start of thread stated, not all on iOS are. Some are truly the captured consumer with nowhere to turn if they want to stay on iOS and not have to reinvest in another ecosystem.

Don’t get me wrong. I get what you’re saying, but I want to stress that not everyone stays with the iPhone and iOS simply because they’re invested in Apple’s ecosystem. iCloud can be accessed via both Android and Windows devices and we all know that documents and spreadsheets can be exported and imported in several formats. Many of us who have used all platforms at some point in time choose to stay with the iPhone for the simplest of reasons - we like it and it works best for “us”.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple generally leads (with Samsung close behind) in customer satisfaction ratings, so I don't believe people feel trapped. They're satisfied.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree, but to a point (I agree with it being their fault but some assumptions can be easy ones to make). I know some people who were all iOS but felt stuck if they should change to an Android phone OR hold on to their 6s because the 7 series lacks a headphone jack.

Everyone is different but for some people's lifestyles, it's not practical to have one. What I have noticed with some of them is that they either use the lighting earpods (this is in a minority), others just held on to their 6s(+), and the rest switched to Android. I can imagine it sucks if you have bought a lot of apps and have to buy them again.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
All the research in the world won't teach you nearly as much as owning and using the phone on a daily though. So the complaints, in my opinion, are valid because if we don't complain, companies won't evolve. I understand the "why complain when you should have known what you're getting yourself into". But companies offer return/exchange periods for a reason. I always advise the "try it out" approach over the "read what people say online" tactic.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Just now seeing this post. Not sure how it got away from me!

I’ve asked myself the same thing but then I always have to ask this: Why would Apple NOT want to be earlier to market with new technology unless it were to make sure it is mature enough to not interfere with user experience and do it better than the competition? Apple, just like any other smartphone manufacturer, wants to have as many people using their devices as possible. So this means retaining existing customers as well as bringing on new customers. So you’d think that they would want to be first to market with everything then, right? But they’re not. Not even close. We are sitting here talking about a new life-altering iPhone that’s going to have inductive charging, an OLED display, face recognition, and a nearly bezel-less design when, in fact, all of those features have been in many Android devices for quite some time. Are they first to market? Nope. Are they going to do those things better than the competition? Probably.

So to that end... many people label Apple as a tech "innovator", but your analysis "Why would Apple NOT want to be earlier to market with new technology unless it were to make sure it is mature enough to not interfere with user experience and do it better than the competition?" would make them exactly not that. The idea being , "let's let others take the risk of new innovations and we'll cherry pick what's best" seems to make more sense.

I fully acknowledge your post, but as an Android enthusiast, I do question Apple's efforts maybe more than an Apple enthusiast. As an example, the lack of work with Siri. Apple had a 5+ year head start with Siri, but is woefully behind regarding further development and additional deployment as of today. When I look at the lack of attention with Siri, to the point of replacing the head of that project recently, it does beg the question of focus. To someone who is always interested in tech, through my point of view it seems that they've been asleep at the wheel; and if that's true, then what else are they NOT paying attention to as the horizon is always changing?

Tech needs Apple to run at full speed and all the time. Without a second manufacturer of iOS, it feels as though there isn't really anyone to keep them "in check" so to speak. Apple can be as lazy as it wants and their customer will simple have no choice but to accept the company line "We were just waiting until things could be implemented better" because there is zero pressure on them to do anything otherwise.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think Apple is "not paying attention " to tech advancements. I think, like it or not, they have a plan and stick to it. It is rumored that OS11 will bring with it AR and that they are working on AR glasses. I know some of this is out already but what are the applications? If they make it more usable and mainstream that is what is more important to me.

Ultimately, I do think these companies push each other and move tech along. We're just becoming a bit impatient about it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So to that end... many people label Apple as a tech "innovator", but your analysis "Why would Apple NOT want to be earlier to market with new technology unless it were to make sure it is mature enough to not interfere with user experience and do it better than the competition?" would make them exactly not that. The idea being , "let's let others take the risk of new innovations and we'll cherry pick what's best" seems to make more sense.

I fully acknowledge your post, but as an Android enthusiast, I do question Apple's efforts maybe more than an Apple enthusiast. As an example, the lack of work with Siri. Apple had a 5+ year head start with Siri, but is woefully behind regarding further development and additional deployment as of today. When I look at the lack of attention with Siri, to the point of replacing the head of that project recently, it does beg the question of focus. To someone who is always interested in tech, through my point of view it seems that they've been asleep at the wheel; and if that's true, then what else are they NOT paying attention to as the horizon is always changing?

Tech needs Apple to run at full speed and all the time. Without a second manufacturer of iOS, it feels as though there isn't really anyone to keep them "in check" so to speak. Apple can be as lazy as it wants and their customer will simple have no choice but to accept the company line "We were just waiting until things could be implemented better" because there is zero pressure on them to do anything otherwise.

I hate to say it but I don’t think Apple is nearly as innovative as they once were. They’ve transformed into a much different company than they were during the Jobs era. I’m not saying it’s bad thing...just different. They still innovate in their own way. For example, AR. ARKit is pure genius. iPhone will immediately be the world’s largest AR platform the moment the next iPhones release because of the tools they’ve given to developers.

That all being said, nobody is really innovating like they used to. The smartphone has entered a stage of maturity. I mean, how much else do you really want your phone to do? Samsung, Google, LG, Motorola...nobody has really done anything lately that blows my mind.

Siri....yeah they dropped the ball and I think they’re just now realizing it. They’ll catch up eventually (hopefully).

As far as a having a second iOS manufacturer...that’s a tricky concept for me. I appreciate the closed ecosystem and tight integration. Licensing out iOS will break that and Apple will lose the title of being the only smartphone manufacturer to have full control of both hardware and software. I think that would be difficult to overcome from a marketing perspective and I don’t think it will ever happen. I don’t think this makes them lazy though. They still have stiff competition from other smartphone manufacturers like Samsung. There is still plenty of opportunity to nab marketshare, whether it be expanding into new terrorities (China, India, etc.) or stealing it from their competition. I just don’t think Apple cares to be first anymore. Here going to wait patiently and then implement new features and technology when the kinks are worked out.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I’m always amazed at people, after claiming to have done research on the latest smartphone brands, choose the iPhone and then complain about it not having the capabilities they need although the other brands do. Shouldn’t their complaint be to themselves for their own poor decision? Seriously! If you had done the research like you’ve claimed then you should have known that the iPhone was not the right device for your specific needs and that leads me to ask why did you buy the iPhone instead of the device that best suited your needs?

Doing research? What is this madness you speak of? But seriously, people love to complain and put the blame on everyone else except for themselves. If more people took responsibility and ownership our planet would be in much better shape than it is.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I hate to say it but I don’t think Apple is nearly as innovative as they once were. They’ve transformed into a much different company than they were during the Jobs era. I’m not saying it’s bad thing...just different. They still innovate in their own way. For example, AR. ARKit is pure genius. iPhone will immediately be the world’s largest AR platform the moment the next iPhones release because of the tools they’ve given to developers.

That all being said, nobody is really innovating like they used to. The smartphone has entered a stage of maturity. I mean, how much else do you really want your phone to do? Samsung, Google, LG, Motorola...nobody has really done anything lately that blows my mind.

Siri....yeah they dropped the ball and I think they’re just now realizing it. They’ll catch up eventually (hopefully).

As far as a having a second iOS manufacturer...that’s a tricky concept for me. I appreciate the closed ecosystem and tight integration. Licensing out iOS will break that and Apple will lose the title of being the only smartphone manufacturer to have full control of both hardware and software. I think that would be difficult to overcome from a marketing perspective and I don’t think it will ever happen. I don’t think this makes them lazy though. They still have stiff competition from other smartphone manufacturers like Samsung. There is still plenty of opportunity to nab marketshare, whether it be expanding into new terrorities (China, India, etc.) or stealing it from their competition. I just don’t think Apple cares to be first anymore. Here going to wait patiently and then implement new features and technology when the kinks are worked out.

Duly noted. Thank you sharing your perspective. I appreciate your balanced response. It can be difficult to have a civil discourse these days.

I need to highlight my use of the word lazy. It's not a precise term. What I really mean is "resting on their laurels/success", but needed to convey that in a simpler way.

@Just_Me_D I don't mean to take your thread off topic if I'm too far off base. Your OP asks the question of why complain to Apple when the consumer should've done their research before purchase. I actually saw that as a post purchase issue, i.e. can you really know until you've tried it? Which then begs the next question, to me at least, of "What now?" and that means waiting on Apple, and solely them, to install the feature(s) I was complaining about in the first place if I want to remain on iOS.

Apple is an amazing company and their offering is top shelf, for sure. Personally, I'd like to see them "put their foot on the gas" like they used to; but as it's been said, it's the post Jobs era and the company just isn't the same. Then again, how can it be? Jobs was true genius.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Duly noted. Thank you sharing your perspective. I appreciate your balanced response. It can be difficult to have a civil discourse these days.

I need to highlight my use of the word lazy. It's not a precise term. What I really mean is "resting on their laurels/success", but needed to convey that in a simpler way.

@Just_Me_D I don't mean to take your thread off topic if I'm too far off base. Your OP asks the question of why complain to Apple when the consumer should've done their research before purchase. I actually saw that as a post purchase issue, i.e. can you really know until you've tried it? Which then begs the next question, to me at least, of "What now?" and that means waiting on Apple, and solely them, to install the feature(s) I was complaining about in the first place if I want to remain on iOS.

Apple is an amazing company and their offering is top shelve, for sure. Personally, I'd like to see them "put their foot on the gas" like they used to; but as it's been said, it's the post Jobs era and the company just isn't the same. Then again, how can it be? Jobs was true genius.

It’s not too hard as an android user to know about the ‘shortcomings’ and ‘limitations’ of an iPhone. The internet is full with these threads, blogs and tweets of former iPhone users complaining about it.
In day to day life everyone has at least one friend or relative with an iPhone and can inform with them if something is possible, or not possible.

People that buy an iPhone and complain about shortcomings are the same people that buy a Ferrari and complain that they can’t go off-road with it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

If we can’t be adults and have productive conversations nothing gets accomplished.

And “lazy”...No worries. I knew what you meant.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro