Why must I be accused of drinking the Apple Kool-Aid for being satisfied with an iPhone?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Outside of this forum, nobody in my life really cares what phone I’m using. A few of my nerdier friends and I might make a snarky remark here and there but that’s as far as it goes.

I mean, it’s just a phone for crying out loud. It doesn’t define me.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Because Apple devices are “overpriced foe what they offer” (like a “locked” ecosystem and such).

Everyone doesn't feel that way. I've used several different devices before going to an iPhone and I feel the price is fine for me and my needs. I may not get all the fancy features that I'll never use but I get consistent updates and have peace of mind because I can walk into 1 of 10 Apple Stores around me if anything goes wrong with iPhone, regardless of where & when I purchased it.

I see the accusations more when Apple fans "pretend" as though Apple is the only or the first to do something. Typically Apple introduces features when they are ready, but you often see people acting amazed or in awe despite similar features and products having been available for a while. I remember having the conversation with someone who stated that had Apple not introduced dual lenses in their camera systems manufacturers would have never started innovating their cameras. Apple didn't "introduce" that feature, nor were they even the first to allow portrait shots and background blurring. To me, that would be an example of someone "drinking the kool aid". We can all love our phones. But once we start disregarding other tech and proclaiming our iPhone's to be the end all be all and the only capable devices...that's where those accusations start.

And it's not even just Apple fans. Brand loyalty is a real thing and it can blind consumers. Apple has seemed to master it though, lol.

I've seen this too Lol. I honestly don't think it's them "drinking the kool-aid", but a lack of knowledge. Since we're in the forums and generally pay attention to tech, we expect everyone else to do the same and that's just not the case. Plus most people don't like change. So even though there's a ton of great devices out there, most will never take that leap to experience them.

As for me, I just ignore people. I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone over what works great for me. I loved my Android devices back when I used them but they didn't work the way I wanted because I was a long time Mac user. Once I switched to iPhone, I got all the integration I wanted and needed. I can't see myself purchasing a PC on purpose anytime soon, so iPhone will continue to be my choice.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
If only everyone were like that! Working in the wireless industry I see employees bashing each OS to customer’s on a daily basis.
... And that's what makes them horrible sales associates. I learned along time ago when I was in sales that product bashing benefits no one, and to remain as unbiased as possible (unless asked). We were told that everything we sold at that store made us money, and not to waste our time or the customers trying to convince them your personal preferences was the way to go.
Management was right, I had hardly any returns, customer satisfaction was stellar, and I made a ton of cash ...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... And that's what makes them horrible sales associates. I learned along time ago when I was in sales that product bashing benefits no one, and to remain as unbiased as possible (unless asked). We were told that everything we sold at that store made us money, and not to waste our time or the customers trying to convince them your personal preferences was the way to go.
Management was right, I had hardly any returns, customer satisfaction was stellar, and I made a ton of cash ...

Outstanding!....

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Coke vs. Pepsi, tabs vs. spaces, iPhone vs. Android. It’s hard to get away from the “us vs. them” mentality, it’s ingrained in human nature. “Fitting in” dates back to the caveman days, back when it meant survival. Now it just means you’re an ***** for rooting for the “wrong” team. I don’t fault anyone for reacting that way—it’s a hard instinct to overcome and it takes constant effort and it can be tiring. I’m an equal opportunity hater of both iPhone and Android. But as my daily driver, I just love drinking the Kool-Aid. The other brands taste weird to me...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Coke vs. Pepsi, tabs vs. spaces, iPhone vs. Android. It’s hard to get away from the “us vs. them” mentality, it’s ingrained in human nature. “Fitting in” dates back to the caveman days, back when it meant survival. Now it just means you’re an ***** for rooting for the “wrong” team. I don’t fault anyone for reacting that way—it’s a hard instinct to overcome and it takes constant effort and it can be tiring. I’m an equal opportunity hater of both iPhone and Android. But as my daily driver, I just love drinking the Kool-Aid. The other brands taste weird to me...

I disagree that it’s difficult in this regard - at least it’s not difficult for “me”. I’m under the mindset of people buying what they want. I couldn’t care less if someone dislike the fact that like iPhones over any other smartphone at this time in my life and I won’t lose an ounce of sleep over it. If someone else prefers an Android device, more power to ‘em. That person’s preference for Android has no effect on my preference for the iPhone. He’s happy with his device and I’m happy with mine. See how easy that is?

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I disagree that it’s difficult in this regard - at least it’s not difficult for “me”. I’m under the mindset of people buying what they want. I couldn’t care less if someone dislike the fact that like iPhones over any other smartphone at this time in my life and I won’t lose an ounce of sleep over it. If someone else prefers an Android device, more power to ‘em. That person’s preference for Android has no effect on my preference for the iPhone. He’s happy with his device and I’m happy with mine. See how easy that is?

It’s pretty easy for me, too, nowadays, when it comes to Android or iPhone. I’m cool with whatever y’all pick. Same with cars—I used to get a lot of flack for running around in an old beat up Ford (honestly, I wish I still had it). Get me playing an online multiplayer game, though, and still to this day at any moment I may I lose it and turn into the guy in the middle of this Oatmeal comic. I’ve been silenced and banned a couple times for it :p Hence the name...fury. It used to get me a lot more often than it does now. I’ve had to work at it. 6 or 7 years ago, I wasn’t so good at it and I took those sheeple/koolaid comments as attacks on my identity. My emotions are weird. o_O

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Well said

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Because I like Kool-Aid...

...I mean, because it's been this way forever. Some fans get carried away on either side of the fence.

What really, really irritates me is going to other Mobile Nations sites and being rung out for having an unbiased preference to Apple. I love Apple but I choose to be caught up on other platforms...Still not good enough...Still drinking Kool-Aid apparently.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Why is it okay for people to prefer a Windows mobile device or an Android device, but not okay for those use who prefer an iPhone? Why must I be considered brainwashed or be accused of drinking the Apple kool-aid for simply being satisfied with my iPhone?

Eh I have seen it from both sides. There are a vocal few who like to bash the others (using terms like lagdroid, samesung, sheep, crapple) I am not sure why people care what device you use. I am one who feels that if the device you have works for you great. I think this is similar to the politics debate where one side is better than the other and they feel you should join them. Just ignore em. Haters gonna hate.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Because I like Kool-Aid...

...I mean, because it's been this way forever. Some fans get carried away on either side of the fence.

What really, really irritates me is going to other Mobile Nations sites and being rung out for having an unbiased preference to Apple. I love Apple but I choose to be caught up on other platforms...Still not good enough...Still drinking Kool-Aid apparently.

I’ve noticed the same thing. I don’t drink the kool aid from any manufacture. I use both Android and iOS, and while I prefer Android I don’t bash iOS. I’ve gotten rung out for that on this very site just like I got rung out on AC for preferring my Note 4 over the S5 or my Nexus 6 over the S6.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I like Apple,and came to them from Nokia simple text and phone only devices, my iPhones worked( all still do!) and that is what I need. Never have I found a need for any other OS,it's a tool not anything else,and it works !! The noisiest person that I remember knocking Apple when Samsung really got going in this market now uses something cheap from that place that cheap phones come from ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the problem is people being unable to comprehend the essence of being content with something. When trying to better one’s self, we are told to never be content and to always strive to be better, and I understand that. However, that quest doesn’t have to apply to consumers. Manufacturers and such? Yes. Consumers? No, and thus, arguably, the primary reason people stick with a specific brand. Of course, there are exceptions.

Last edited:

kegantyler

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I’ve reached a point where I don’t care if people think I’m “drinking the Apple kool-aid”. After years trying out all these expensive products from other companies and not being 100% satisfied, Apple is the only company that I can feel good about purchasing from. Their R&D is unprecedented, and they implement new technologies only when they make it good enough to be considered a useful feature. To me, that’s better than just cramming every available new tech into a smartphone just because they can. And they make all their stuff work perfectly together, which is an invaluable incentive to me.

So sure, I prefer AirPods over Bose wireless, or the concept of the HomePod over the simple, low quality Echo speaker, or the iPad over the typical surface tablet/PC that isn’t nearly as responsive or well built. Yeah, I drink the kool-aid, but I’m consistently happy with my purchases as a result. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I don’t care either way. It’s my money, and I’ll use what I feel suits my needs better. Right now that would be the Apple ecosystem. If someone feels that these products aren’t adequate for my needs, they are certainly welcome to purchase the “right” devices and ship them to me.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
No one should care what someone else has or prefers. I like to try everything. I see both sides. If you prefer Apple thats fine. They make a great product. Same with other manufacturers. To each their own. The problems comes when people try to justify their purchase. We pay a lot of money for our products and sometimes people feel the need to justify their purchase. We have to remember to stop civil and respect others decisions. There is no perfect one size fits all.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think part of the problem is people being unable to comprehend the essence of being content with something. When trying to better one’s self, we are told to never be content and to always strive to be better, and I understand that. However, that quest doesn’t have to apply to consumers. Manufacturers and such? Yes. Consumers? No, and thus, arguably, the primary reason people stick with a specific brand. Of course, there are exceptions.

Well said D’

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Do what you want and do it your way. I like iPhones even though I know it is not always cutting edge compared to android. I enjoy the new spec bumps and camera improvements. Some androids have newer tech and some have better specs but the new iPhone always destroys the closest competitor. I love how all my apple devices work together. No other electronic ecosystem is better at that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro