iOS 11 WiFi Password Sharing

I keep looking for details on this new feature that really disturbs me.

If I understand this correctly, members of my household who include mid-teens, would be able to share our WiFi password with any number of their friends. Remember that friendship is a fluid thing at that age and best friends one day can be on the outs the very next?

Then those friends could share our password with their acquaintances, etc., etc., etc.

What is the point of password protected networks if you can’t control your own security?

I can’t imagine that Apple, the security and privacy champion that they are, would implement this without some sort of controls.

How do we control password sharing before it destroys security?
    06-09-2017 11:21 AM
    In iOS in general it’s not possible to see which networks have what password.

This will not change if you were to share your wifi password with this new feature.
    The person you’re/they’re in the outs will not know your wifi password.

Besides, all wifi enabled devices in my house require an additional passcode/password if I want to access it with my iPhone.

The only thing you could do to take extra security measures is to change the standard password of your modem or router, so nobody besides you can change its settings and your wifi password.
    06-09-2017 11:58 AM
    You say,
    - The person you’re/they’re in the outs will not know your wifi password.
    - Yes, but will they be empowered to share it down the line? Sharing WiFi passwords is not something I would delegate on down the line from say a son to a friend, to a girlfriend, to a neighbor... on down the line. It appears that this new feature would take the ability to control the password proliferation completely out of the owner/admin hands. That's the problem I see as getting out of control.

You say,
    - Besides, all wifi enabled devices in my house require an additional passcode/password if I want to access it with my iPhone.
    - Please write more on this or give a link, I would be interested in learning about this feature.

You Say,
    - The only thing you could do to take extra security measures is to change the standard password of your modem or router, so nobody besides you can change its settings and your wifi password.
    - I thought that the new iOS feature was about sharing WiFi passwords not router Admin passwords, or, did I misunderstand you? Of course everyone should take the basic step to secure the router Admin password.
    06-09-2017 02:23 PM
    You say,
    - The person you’re/they’re in the outs will not know your wifi password.
    - Yes, but will they be empowered to share it down the line? Sharing WiFi passwords is not something I would delegate on down the line from say a son to a friend, to a girlfriend, to a neighbor... on down the line. It appears that this new feature would take the ability to control the password proliferation completely out of the owner/admin hands. That's the problem I see as getting out of control.
    They will not be able to share that password unless they’re connected to your wifi.
    Like you, I don’t know the exact working of the feature yet. Keep an eye on iMore, I’m sure they will have a blog about it soon.

You say,
    - Besides, all wifi enabled devices in my house require an additional passcode/password if I want to access it with my iPhone.
    - Please write more on this or give a link, I would be interested in learning about this feature.
    I have an Apple TV, a Smart TV, a computer and my roommate has a laptop. All connected to the same network.

On my iPhone I have installed the Apple TV remote app and the first time I wanted to use it with my Apple TV a code appeared on TV and my iPhone asked me to enter that code in the app. Only after that it made the actual connection.

My Smart TV has an app for iPhone. I can’t connect the app with the TV without first having to press OK on my TV remote.

My computer has “shared folders”, but when my roommate tries accessing them it asks for a password which I specified myself.

And the same goes for the laptop of my roommate. I can’t access it because I don’t know her password.

My smart thermostat works with an app that requires a password and two factor authentication.

You Say,
    - The only thing you could do to take extra security measures is to change the standard password of your modem or router, so nobody besides you can change its settings and your wifi password.
    - I thought that the new iOS feature was about sharing WiFi passwords not router Admin passwords, or, did I misunderstand you? Of course everyone should take the basic step to secure the router Admin password.
    I said this because no matter how secure your wifi password, once somebody is connected to it, they can enter your router and change the password. Depending on how dependable your connected devices at home are, this can be a nightmare to resolve by resetting the router to factory settings. Especially if you had made some adjustments in the settings to ensure a good and reliable working of it.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 06-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    06-09-2017 03:02 PM
    Apple can’t control who has access to your WiFi because you shared your password Nor are they liable for it.
    06-09-2017 03:15 PM
    Apple can’t control who has access to your WiFi because you shared your password ������ Nor are they liable for it.
    Exactly.

There’s a certain amount of personal responsibility involved, at some point.
    Tartarus and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    06-09-2017 03:22 PM
    This app tells you what you need to know. It's $8.99 though.

iNet Pro - Network Scanner by BananaGlue GmbH
    https://appsto.re/us/fnAms.i
    06-09-2017 04:07 PM