iPhone 6 Geekbench results drops by almost 50 % after updating to iOS 10.2.1. Memory RAM issue?

juanchopx2

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
After every iOS update I used to run a Geekbench' CPU benchmark to check how good (or bad) is the performance of that update in my iPhone. What was my surprise when I ran the test after updating to iOS 10.2.1 (OTA) and see that the test results drops by almost 50 % compare to the previous updates (History of results). After seeing this, I contacted Geekbench via Twitter and they told me it could be a hardware issue on my phone 😨 I decided to look at some apps that allowed me to run some diagnostics and I found Phone Doctor Plus app, and unfortunately its results seemed to confirm what Geekbench let me know: it seems an issue on my iPhone's memory RAM.

Have any of you experience this? I haven't been able to find reports of cases like this one. I'm not sure what should I do 😰 Is there any change to get it back the way it was?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
If it's a RAM issue, any relation to the beta would be coincidental. Normally I'd just say don't worry about app results on beta software, since it's hard to know if something changed that makes the apps miss-report the hardware.

Is it just synthetic benchmark results that are worrying you or do you see an actual performance problem in daily use?

juanchopx2

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Rene, and thanks for the reply!

You know? After I saw those results I started to notice that the Google Apps (Google, Chrome, Maps) were taking longer to responde to actions. I'm not sure if Geekbench results "biased" me or if they in fact not behaving as they should. What really worries me is that the Phone Doctor Plus test results are correct and there's a hardware problem with my iPhone, a problem that could end up turning my iPhone into a brick :-/

I'll run real-life-use-case testing for a couple days and check how the rest of the system behaves, hoping it is a miss-report made by that app.

BTW, the iOS 10.2.1 was the update release early this week; It wasn't the beta version.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When I had the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus they were really bad in how they handled memory/RAM from launch day and forward. I wasn't using benchmarks or anything like that. It was just from first hand experience. Plenty of apps reloading and things of that nature. The resolution on those screens eat up a ton of the 1GB of RAM that those devices have.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner