No headphones jack on iPhone 8 potential deal breaker

TekNiKal

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You don’t have to do this! Everything is a choice. There are plenty of great devices that have a headphone jack. Personally, I haven’t used a a headphone jack since my 5S.

You are fortunate. There’s been countless times my phone is needing charging and I have to put away my wired headphones and use my Bluetooth headphones. Only to be greeted by the repeated “battery low” announcement.

Or vice versa, headphones and phone need charging at the same time. Oh how I wish I could plug my wired headphones in. There were enough of those times that I bought that stupid dongle.

But still, everyone says, “I only use Bluetooth, or the port is dead.” But no one says why Apple removed the still useful audio jack. To sell you overpriced Bluetooth headphones, I suppose.

Stop apologizing for Apple, unless you’re part of their PR Dept.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You are fortunate. There’s been countless times my phone is needing charging and I have to put away my wired headphones and use my Bluetooth headphones. Only to be greeted by the repeated “battery low” announcement.

Or vice versa, headphones and phone need charging at the same time. Oh how I wish I could plug my wired headphones in. There were enough of those times that I bought that stupid dongle.

But still, everyone says, “I only use Bluetooth, or the port is dead.” But no one says why Apple removed the still useful audio jack. To sell you overpriced Bluetooth headphones, I suppose.

Nobody is apologizing for Apple just because they aren’t married to the headphone jack. You have a choice. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy an iPhone.
Did they absolutely need to remove the headphone jack? Probably not. Nonetheless they did. Accept it or move on.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

That sucks...I haven’t encountered that issue. Since I use my headphones all the time, I tend to always keep them charged & there’s an extra pair in my desk, just in case.

Who’s apologizing for Apple I couldn’t care less why they removed the jack...it’s their company not mine. At the end of the day, I purchased a device that works for me. Whenever I feel that’s no longer the case, then I’ll ditch it & go with something else. That’s why we have options.

timb9

Nov 14, 2018
Visit site
There's the perfect Apple hipster customer (no offense :biggrin:) doing exactly what Apple was hoping would happen- lets just go drop $200 on Apple airpod wireless headphones and hope we don't lose one somewhere.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
There's the perfect Apple hipster customer (no offense :biggrin:) doing exactly what Apple was hoping would happen- lets just go drop $200 on Apple airpod wireless headphones and hope we don't lose one somewhere.

...how’s that view from the grassy knoll...

timb9

Nov 14, 2018
Visit site
Fair enough, you have some points and I think the no-headphone jack is here to stay. May be old news, but still relevant and a lingering pain in the butt to a lot of people, an no issue to others. A worthwhile debate for sure. I know we can buy something else, but staying with a somewhat current phone is important too. I have a set of bluetooth headphones, but the charge doesn't last very long, the mic is bad, and its one more thing I have to charge all the time. Time to upgrade on those I'm afraid. And I have bought some dongles from Amazon- I know at least one doesn't work and my kids must have taken the others. I still have a lot of wired headphones, including a set of wired Bose noise cancelling headphones that I like to use, and a stereo in my backyard that I like to connect my phone to- even with the dongle, it sucks not being able to charge at the same time. I suppose I need to buy another adapter or splitter so I can do this, or buy all new electronics that are bluetooth. Anyway, I have a cpl old iphones that I have kept and they're good to hook up to different speakers or stereos. Sounds like the other phone companies are following suit, so I guess that's the way of the future.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

To each their own. I know tons of people, not hipsters, that love their AirPods. I’m not sold on them, but that’s just me.

TekNiKal

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean? I’ve accepted it. With all these Apple products in my house I can guarantee you I’m not buying a Samsung. So there’s no moving on.

This thread is hella old. I don’t know who resurrected it. But when I came in, all I was stating was the obvious. That the headphone jack was not removed to advance technology. W2 chip is cool. But is the audio fidelity better?

I’m here all weekend. Don’t forget to try the veal Parmesan. ba dum tss! We can keep chatting about it. I don’t mind.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I haven’t used the headphone jack on my phone for years since I bought my external Peachtree DAC for my iPhone 5. It sounds way better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... But no one says why Apple removed the still useful audio jack. To sell you overpriced Bluetooth headphones, I suppose.

You’re joking, right? I mean, it appears you’ve made the adjustment to life without the audio port, but you still want to gripe about it. Hey, that’s your business and you can gripe about it all you want....(laughing). Just don’t expect Apple to put the port back any time soon. Life is too short to be hung up over the removal of a traditional audio port, especially when you didn’t lose the ability to listen to audio.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I could see taking it out of the 7/8 for the extra battery space, I think they probably could've kept it in the plus size phones since those were considered a more... What's the word.... Productive, or consumption type device? Then again if they made it in the more expensive ones people would've griped too. I had a 6 plus before this Xr and can count on one hand how many times I needed a headphone jack in the several years I had it. I usually either listen to podcasts in my car through the lightning port, use some cheap Bluetooth headphones from Walmart while I'm working in the yard, or just use the phones speakers or a cheap Bluetooth speaker when I'm playing kids songs for my little girl. Only time I remember using the headphone jack was when I needed to play a song through our churches sound system or a visiting church sound system before we had a Bluetooth add on installed, while I was running the screens and added music. Most of the time I just used our Macbook because it sounded better want way.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It isnt that hard to deal without the headphone jack. Just buy a cheap set of bluetooth headphones and be good. If battery is an issue, make sure you look at how long the battery is rated for. It isnt hard to find a set that has a music playback life of 10+ hours. Hell, my $30 pair of HDMX Journey lasts that long. Sure they dont sound the greatest, but its more than enough for use at work or when doing things outside.

The 3.5mm jack is over 100 years old from what I understand. Technology moves on, changes, evolves, and improves. Things change because people need things that can do more. At the time, 486 computers did what they needed to do just fine. So why did we improve on this if it was good enough? People wanted to do more, faster, and the 486 became very limited very quickly. The 3.5mm jack has hit its limits (probably hit its limits years, if not decades ago, but we kept using it because nothing better existed) and now we are moving on to wireless technologies for them - namely Bluetooth. Even if Bluetooth is not at the moment capable of the same audio fidelity that the 3.5mm jack is, it bet it wont be long before it is. Not only will that improve, but battery tech will improve so we can go from charging them once a day to once a week.

It also seems like it has been forgotten that Apple was not the only one, and not even the first to remove the 3.5mm jack from their phones, but are getting the most flack for doing so. For myself, it doesnt even matter. I switched to bluetooth headphones before the jack was even removed because I love the freedom they give not being tethered to the device any longer. No more unruly cables to deal with getting in your way and getting caught on things as you move around and having the headphones yanked out of your ears and/or yanked out of the jack on the phone.

To me it makes sense to remove it, and I honestly see the charging port going the same way once wireless charging becomes good enough and really comes into its own.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so here's the deal.

If Apple, Google, Microsoft, Honda, etc., makes a product I want to buy, them I'm going to buy it. If it costs $1000 then I'll pay $1000.

Why? Simple.

I spent the first 50 years of my life making money, now I'm going to spend the next 50 years spending it.

Don't like what Apple did (or didn't do) with the audio jack? Then buy something else.

The horse is way past dead. Move on. Nothing more that can be beaten out of it.

TekNiKal

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It isnt that hard to deal without the headphone jack. Just buy a cheap set of bluetooth headphones and be good. If battery is an issue, make sure you look at how long the battery is rated for. It isnt hard to find a set that has a music playback life of 10+ hours. Hell, my $30 pair of HDMX Journey lasts that long. Sure they dont sound the greatest, but its more than enough for use at work or when doing things outside.

The 3.5mm jack is over 100 years old from what I understand. Technology moves on, changes, evolves, and improves. Things change because people need things that can do more. At the time, 486 computers did what they needed to do just fine. So why did we improve on this if it was good enough? People wanted to do more, faster, and the 486 became very limited very quickly. The 3.5mm jack has hit its limits (probably hit its limits years, if not decades ago, but we kept using it because nothing better existed) and now we are moving on to wireless technologies for them - namely Bluetooth. Even if Bluetooth is not at the moment capable of the same audio fidelity that the 3.5mm jack is, it bet it wont be long before it is. Not only will that improve, but battery tech will improve so we can go from charging them once a day to once a week.

It also seems like it has been forgotten that Apple was not the only one, and not even the first to remove the 3.5mm jack from their phones, but are getting the most flack for doing so. For myself, it doesnt even matter. I switched to bluetooth headphones before the jack was even removed because I love the freedom they give not being tethered to the device any longer. No more unruly cables to deal with getting in your way and getting caught on things as you move around and having the headphones yanked out of your ears and/or yanked out of the jack on the phone.

To me it makes sense to remove it, and I honestly see the charging port going the same way once wireless charging becomes good enough and really comes into its own.

Thank you! But I still stand by my original post in this thread. I too enjoy the benefits of Bluetooth headphones. But a wired headphone experience is not antiquated.

We all our reveling in our consumption of various mediums using our iPhone 7 or newer, but the jack is not dead. Just because you don’t need/want it, does not negate anyone else’s need/want for it.

Practically all the music you enjoy while listening with your Bluetooth headphones was mixed down by an audio engineer using wired headphones or fancy studio monitors connected to the audio mixer using that port. And the same with the video editor connected to their editing rig. It’s not antiquated.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! But I still stand by my original post in this thread. I too enjoy the benefits of Bluetooth headphones. But a wired headphone experience is not antiquated.

We all our reveling in our consumption of various mediums using our iPhone 7 or newer, but the jack is not dead. Just because you don’t need/want it, does not negate anyone else’s need/want for it.

Practically all the music you enjoy while listening with your Bluetooth headphones was mixed down by an audio engineer using wired headphones or fancy studio monitors connected to the audio mixer using that port. And the same with the video editor connected to their editing rig. It’s not antiquated.

So? There is plenty use for wired headphones. A mobile device, however, is not one of them.
A wired headphone completely negates the ‘mobile’ part of smartphones.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Initially, I really disliked the concept of no jack on the "back then, new iPhones". But I've adapted just fine, and really enjoy my Bluetooth wireless headphones. I didn't spend a lot of money on them either. I saw some "Small Target" headphones on Thrifter and purchased them. They are great.

I drive a 2008 Subaru Forester that has an aux jack. So I got an inexpensive two in one adapter by Cone on Amazon. The reviews aren't great, but it works wonderfully. So to me, not having a jack on my 8 Plus was no big deal.

TekNiKal

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So? There is plenty use for wired headphones. A mobile device, however, is not one of them.
A wired headphone completely negates the ‘mobile’ part of smartphones.

LOL I’m starting to feel silly responding to these comments. Using my wired headphones while holding my iPhone while watching YouTube, waiting on an oil change, in the lobby, does not feel like a diminished mobile experience.

Now I do use my Bluetooth headphones while cooking, doing yard work, and the very rare occasion of working out.

But still folks. Please don’t @me if you cannot resolve my original statement. I’ll state it again to be clear.

Apple, according to Jonny, took “COURAGE,” to remove the headphone jack. When people cried foul, Apple apologizers said it was to advance technology and that the port was dead.

All I said was the jack is gone, and it wasn’t replaced by any new tech. I also stated that not having the headphone jack can sometimes be an inconvenience. And said the port still has usefulness.

Don’t misconstrue my words.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
All I said was the jack is gone, and it wasn’t replaced by any new tech. I also stated that not having the headphone jack can sometimes be an inconvenience. And said the port still has usefulness.

Don’t misconstrue my words.

Apple includes wired ear buds with the iPhone still.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR