New UI design?

bparks115

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Anybody getting tired of the same basic UI style Apple has gone with since the first iPhone? Like the same ol' square-ish icons on the lock screen?

I'd really like to see something different.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have been hoping for live tiles for years. It's not happening now when they are pushing 3D touch and new popups in iOS 10.

Can't think of what else they would do..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anybody getting tired of the same basic UI style Apple has gone with since the first iPhone? Like the same ol' square-ish icons on the lock screen?

To be honest, I rarely think about it, especially when all of the other smartphones use the same icon selection format. Would it be nice to be able to arrange the icons exactly how I want them? Sure.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not really the same as the original iPhone. For example, look at the major changes in iOS 10 to the spotlight search screen. In a lot of ways, this screen can now be used as your main go to screen for information consumption instead of opening up an app. I'm personally very happy with the changes in iOS 10. And for the record, before iOS 10, I totally agreed with your assessment.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
New doesn't always equal better. The current design works great for me so I'm okay with it. I guess it boils down to what Apple could possibly do to make it better, not just different.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Meh, if they change it then I'm fine. If they leave it the same I'm still fine. Unless an aesthetic changes impacts the functionality, I don't think it matters either way. Just Audwin's opinion though.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Not really. Doesn't bother me. Any changes might make their devices more complicated. Why fix something that is not broke?

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not really. Doesn't bigger me. Any changes might make their devices more complicated. Why fix something that is not broke?

It isn't about fixing something that isn't broken. If that were the case we would still be walking around with 3.5" iPhones. Sometimes things just get old and need a refresh in order to stay relevant. Apple has managed to do this without reinventing the home screen, which is just fine with me.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I like it the way it is. It's simple and that works for me. It would be weird to see a new one after so many years with this one. Have you ever moved an app out of its normal place? it throws you off! lol. I like current, new one would be ok too i guess.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Dark mode would be great...the rest of it? Nah.

In the words of Ally Kazmucha: "A widget is something you look at once and the scroll through for the rest of your day"

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think having a dark mode would be cool.

That would be awesome BUT, and I hate to shatter your dreams, we are most likely less than a month away from iOS 10 GM. I have a feeling that if they planned on releasing a dark mode we would be seeing it by now in the betas.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That would be awesome BUT, and I hate to shatter your dreams, we are most likely less than a month away from iOS 10 GM. I have a feeling that if they planned on releasing a dark mode we would be seeing it by now in the betas.

I was hoping for a dark theme messages app. It's one of the screenshots someone showed along with the clock app.