Which iPhone to get my 72 yr old mother?

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm on here tonight because I need some advice. I currently have my 72 year old mom on my Sprint account. She is not tech savvy at all. As a matter of fact, she still carries around her phone book in her purse or she will just memorize phone numbers. She already has the iPhone 5c 8 gb. Before that she had a 7 year old flip phone from Cricket, paying more than the amount that she could have been paying on my Sprint account. She also currently lives in my hometown Chicago and I stay in Ga. It was hard always having to send photos in the mail and not being able to see each other like we would have liked to. With her having an iPhone we are able to FaceTime on my kids birthdays and I'm also able to send her photos through iMessage. Sprint is currently offering me a deal to lease her an upgraded phone to either an iPhone 6 for only $5 a month or an iPhone 6s for $16 a month. I don't know which one to get her. She only uses her phone for calling people. The only other time she uses her iPhone is to FaceTime me (I initiate the call), or to half way send out a text message (she's getting a little better). I just want her to stay somewhat up to date with her device, but I don't know if I'm about to waste money on something she really doesn't need.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
An upgrade would be nice. As she's using it for calling only, get the iPhone 6 instead. If money is not a problem, the 6s would be better as it is faster and has a better camera for Facetime and capturing pictures. She might also prefer the larger iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, it would be easier to see things in a larger display.

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
An upgrade would be nice. As she's using it for calling only, get the iPhone 6 instead. If money is not a problem, the 6s would be better as it is faster and has a better camera for Facetime and capturing pictures. She might also prefer the larger iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, it would be easier to see things in a larger display.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking too. She keep telling me that she like the size of her iPhone 5c, but I think the 6s will be a great fit.

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
She would probably like the 6 or 6s size, unless she absolutely prefers the smaller size.

Lol well the only other size phone she's use to is a flip phone. I think she'll be okay with the 6 or 6s size. I was just wondering if I should go with the 6 or the 6s considering that she really doesn't use the 5c.

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Get her the 6 then.

I'm also thinking of that too. Yesterday I placed any order for the 6s, but I think I'm going to call back to have them cancel it and place it for the 6. The only new feature on the 6s that I can think of is force touch, which she's not going to use. It's going to take her some time learning how to use Touch ID lol.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm also thinking of that too. Yesterday I placed any order for the 6s, but I think I'm going to call back to have them cancel it and place it for the 6. The only new feature on the 6s that I can think of is force touch, which she's not going to use. It's going to take her some time learning how to use Touch ID lol.

Yes you are correct. The main diff?rence between the 2 is the force touch, and as for the Touch ID, I think only the setup time will be difficult maybe, if you can assist her then it will be very easy for her to set it up, but once Touch ID is setup, I'm very sure that she will love it because of the ease to unlock the device using Touch ID. And for her age, it's even the way for her to go (Touch ID)

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes you are correct. The main diff?rence between the 2 is the force touch, and as for the Touch ID, I think only the setup time will be difficult maybe, if you can assist her then it will be very easy for her to set it up, but once Touch ID is setup, I'm very sure that she will love it because of the ease to unlock the device using Touch ID. And for her age, it's even the way for her to go (Touch ID)

Lol thank you! I just called to cancel the order on the 6s, so I'll have to wait for it to come in to place the new order for the 6. The guy at the Sprint store in Chicago is working really good for her and I. He already know that I need her phone set up exactly how her 5c is and with me not being there I'm a little afraid. He will even have to call me to get her iCloud Id and password. I think I'm making the right decision.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, for her to not feel than the system has changed a lot, things need to be on the newer iPhone as it used to be on her old iPhone. A backup of the old iPhone and a restore of the backup into the new iPhone can do the trick easily. And yes the guy will need her iCloud credential for setting it up. :) sure you decision is good.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Is the SE an option? Should be cheaper than the 6 just as capable and it has the look and feel she is already accustomed to.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would get the 6, she won't know or care about the difference. If anything she'll appreciate that you saved some money. Parents HATE when we spend money on them! At least my similarly aged mom does! (It makes it easier for her when I can tell her how much I saved ;) )

mommybetts

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would get the 6, she won't know or care about the difference. If anything she'll appreciate that you saved some money. Parents HATE when we spend money on them! At least my similarly aged mom does! (It makes it easier for her when I can tell her how much I saved ;) )

That's exactly what she was telling me today when I told her what was going on. I'm just trying to figure out is the 6s worth the $10 more a month especially for her.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Same thing I'm thinking, but with the 7 getting ready to come out, she'll be stuck with a 2 year old phone. Is it worth paying $10 more?

If it's only $10 more get the 6s. Even if she doesn't use the additional features she'll have a newer phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR