Article: Why I gave up the S7 for an iPhone

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I ditched Galaxy S7 for an iPhone - Tech Insider

I came across this yesterday and as I was reading it, I really felt like I could relate so much lately. His reason for why he gave up the S7 for the iPhone 6s Plus is:

But recently, I've given mine up in favor of a boring, bulky, less cross-compatible iPhone 6s Plus.

The reason is simple: The iPhone's got a crazy-long battery life. And for the most important computer a person interacts with in a day, that's incredibly important.

Another supporting point he said was:

But the iPhone's operating system and software are much better optimized for its hardware, and allow the handset to chug along much longer. And for me, no matter how fantastic a phone is, if I can't turn it on at 7 pm it's no good.

Thoughts? Anyone out here can relate to this?

His experience is pretty much my story since trying out the Nextbit Robin, including the phone being done at 7pm (6pm for me). I'm so tired of it so I switched back.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Very true. Some may fault Apple for having so much control over its hardware and software but it makes a huge difference with performance and battery life.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
He calls the iPhone boring. I call it reliable. I've come back to iOS so many times now that it just doesn't make sense to leave again.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Same here. I try and setup all of my other platforms to be just like iOS lol. Meanwhile Apple has always been here.

Sometimes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side....

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I ditched Galaxy S7 for an iPhone - Tech Insider

I came across this yesterday and as I was reading it, I really felt like I could relate so much lately. His reason for why he gave up the S7 for the iPhone 6s Plus is:

Another supporting point he said was:

Thoughts? Anyone out here can relate to this?

His experience is pretty much my story since trying out the Nextbit Robin, including the phone being done at 7pm (6pm for me). I'm so tired of it so I switched back.

So would you consider the galaxy phone to be equal with the iPhone except for the battery? Personally, I don't really care about battery life. I got cords everywhere. Home, Office, Car, and Workbench. Plus I have a portable charger in my bag as well.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
So would you consider the galaxy phone to be equal with the iPhone except for the battery? Personally, I don't really care about battery life. I got cords everywhere. Home, Office, Car, and Workbench. Plus I have a portable charger in my bag as well.

I have never had the galaxy or any galaxy phone, so I can't really comment on this personally. In comparison videos I have watched, each one seemed to have wins in different areas, so it is probably around it.

That's interesting that battery life isn't really important to you at all, but it does go to show that different people value different things. I like to keep my load as light as possible, even my purse has things that I know that I actually use on a regular basis (or regular enough). It works for me, just like having cords everywhere works for you.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see this article have more info in it, get expanded on a bit more. However, the reasons he lists are pretty much the same reasons I left my LG for a iPhone a few years ago and havent looked back since. I love the battery life of the 6s Plus and rarely need to plug it in except for when I go to bed at night to make sure it is charged for the next day. Traveling as light as possible isnt that huge for me. I always carry a laptop-backpack because of my job so along with my laptop I always have extra room for things like an extra cable, wall charger and battery pack (i carry one of each) if really needed.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It is the simple things that Apple does so well that have always impressed me. I have used all sorts of phones and those simple things are what keep me coming back. The last android phone I had was the Note 5 and I miss it every day. The Note line is always a favorite of mine, but every time I am using it I miss the way iOS handles messaging, sharing photos, podcasts and music. Now a lot of that is because my whole family and most of my clients are on iOS so it is easier to share when I am as well.

I think Android and specifically Samsung have come a long way. The Note 5, S7 and S7 Edge are amazing devices with great tech. I feel like we may have to wait until 2017 to see a big leap with the iPhone, but I could be wrong. I just think that when Apple makes that next big move that it will be very good and I think we will see it in the software. Specs are cool and all, but it's what you do with the specs that really matter. Apple knows how to do more with less. That is the difference maker. I don't believe that they have lost there way as some have suggested in the media. I think we are seeing a slight flattening before the next big thing comes along. That's just my opinion though.

clitrenta

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I was one of those who always said the iPhone was boring and in some ways still is. That said, there comes a point where you just decide you need to choose function over form. I love the Note line as well and the S7 is an extremely nice looking device but the fact is, you simply cannot optimize an OS (Android) when you're running it on so many different devices. I had a Note 5 and suddenly I started experiencing connectivity problems with the Bluetooth that I never had in other Android devices. I believe there was some issue between the BT and the WiFi service. No such issue seems to ever plague the iPhone and I'm firmly convinced it's because the software was specifically designed for it, making it much easier to ensure reliability. I no longer had to futz and play to get my Fitbit to stay connected to my phone, not to mention my smart watches. Now I have an iPhone 6S+ and an Apple watch and they always work great. At this point in my life, THAT is what's important, no matter how good those other guys look.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I was one of those who always said the iPhone was boring and in some ways still is. That said, there comes a point where you just decide you need to choose function over form. I love the Note line as well and the S7 is an extremely nice looking device but the fact is, you simply cannot optimize an OS (Android) when you're running it on so many different devices. I had a Note 5 and suddenly I started experiencing connectivity problems with the Bluetooth that I never had in other Android devices. I believe there was some issue between the BT and the WiFi service. No such issue seems to ever plague the iPhone and I'm firmly convinced it's because the software was specifically designed for it, making it much easier to ensure reliability. I no longer had to futz and play to get my Fitbit to stay connected to my phone, not to mention my smart watches. Now I have an iPhone 6S+ and an Apple watch and they always work great. At this point in my life, THAT is what's important, no matter how good those other guys look.

Yeah, I'll admit that I struggle with the fact that the iPhone is kind of boring. I seriously do. All of your points here are spot on though.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'll admit that I struggle with the fact that the iPhone is kind of boring. I seriously do. All of your points here are spot on though.

TO me, its sort of like a car. Would you rather have a car that is really flashy and great looking but needs constant maintenance, or one that is a little more subdued and boring, not as exciting but constantly works the way it was intended to and causes you very little worry about being able to get to work, grocery store, etc? The way the iPhone just simply works is what won me over for it over android.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
TO me, its sort of like a car. Would you rather have a car that is really flashy and great looking but needs constant maintenance, or one that is a little more subdued and boring, not as exciting but constantly works the way it was intended to and causes you very little worry about being able to get to work, grocery store, etc? The way the iPhone just simply works is what won me over for it over android.

That's true, I just think that there has to be some kind of middle ground.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
That's true, I just think that there has to be some kind of middle ground.

It would be great if there was, unfortunately things dont always work like that. I think the closest thing to middle ground would be to get a Nexus device or the new Blackberry Priv which from what I understand will follow much the same update schedules that Googles own Nexus devices do. Get the benefit of having more customization, but without all the bloatware, custom manufacturer UI and delays on updates.

clitrenta

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site

Kind of like Harley's used to be. :rotfl:

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
It would be great if there was, unfortunately things dont always work like that. I think the closest thing to middle ground would be to get a Nexus device or the new Blackberry Priv which from what I understand will follow much the same update schedules that Googles own Nexus devices do. Get the benefit of having more customization, but without all the bloatware, custom manufacturer UI and delays on updates.

I have tried the 5x (6p was too big for my personal preference) and I hated some things about it. I liked the Nextbit Robin a lot more. However, the battery life sucks for both so eh.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
For me, I'm always lured in by the flashy appeal of Android. You can customize this. You can customize that. It can do this and that. QHD screen. Etc... As soon as I start using it, life is great. Then little bugs start showing up. Glitches. Errors. App conflicts with something that causing something important not to work. Then I just want to go back to iOS and have the comfort of knowing that my phone will work. My heart is with Android but my brain tells me the smart thing to do is to stick to iOS. In my busy life, it just makes more sense to have the phone that works constantly without serious error.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Same reason I sold my Galaxy S7, I had it for about 2 weeks, it has the best camera of any smartphone I ever used. Really snappy as well with 0 lag. But once I loaded all my apps, even with the doze feature turned on to save power for all apps, I would have to charge my phone 3 times a day and I'm a moderate user. The standby time on it is horrible. Like I can charge my iPhone SE to a 100% then come back to it an hour later and it may be at 99%, with the Galaxy S7, it would be around 88% or so. I really like Android phones more but to me, battery life is the most important that's why I am using an iPhone SE which if I put on low power mode, gives me 3 days of battery life.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I was with Android(Samsung Note 2 then 4) for years, but the total integration of ios and the iPhone are what have sold me. From the iCloud and family share integration to having touch id and Apple pay integrated into even 3rd party apps, everything just works together.

Android just doesn't have that level of integration yet. Now add in the insane battery life I get with my 6s Plus, I can't see myself going back anytime soon.

I also love not having to wait for Samsung and my carrier(Verizon) to add their bloatware before I see an update. Because of this, if I ever do go back to Android, it will be the Nexus line.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I really don't like that article.
The iPhone is better (for me) than ANY Samsung's phone for many reasons, not only battery life.
Actually in my experience battery life is just a minor point in favor of iPhone ....

Samsung could keep releasing "spec list winning" device as long as they like, but they just can't compete with Apple on real life usage.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Amen brother! When the rumor came out about iMessage possibly being announced for Android so many people were threatening to jump ship or saying that Apple was stupid because the only thing keeping people on iPhone is iMessage. I say that's stupid!! For me I still wouldn't switch to Android if iMessage was released because Android still doesn't have quick updates, full backup system in place like iCloud and iTunes, stability, still argue better quality apps and the unprecedented integration of services like Apple Pay and TouchID in 3rd party apps. In some ways Android is majorly lagging behind iOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods