Who uses a passcode on their phone?

mjcarter

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have much to hide on my phone either, but the guys at work will mess with it (change wallpaper, snap unwanted pics, etc.) if I leave my phone at the desk unattended.

ewelch

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
The FBI recommends not using a passcode. It makes fishing expeditions less easy.

I use a six-number passcode with devices that allow it. TouchID with everything possible.

emanwis

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm forced to use one to receive work emails on my phone. However, I'd use one anyway even if not forced to. Touch ID has been a beautiful thing, IMHO.

anon(4765705)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used a 4-digit p/c since the days of my iphone4s.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my passcode. I was thinking 6-digit, but realized that I could use a complex alphanumeric one.

So I decided to use my AppleID p/w as my passcode because with TouchID, the length and complexity of the p/c is trivial given how rarely one has to actually enter it.

I also had my 83 year old mom do this as it eliminates a code and allows her to keep her AppleID p/w fresh in her mind. (All the rest of her p/ws are, unique, complex, and managed via her iCloud Keychain.)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Simply that you can't use Touch ID without a pass code. Everyone that said they use Touch ID must of necessity also use/have a pass code. The original question was do you use a pass code?

Ok, I never said anything about using Touch ID without a passcode so I was confused what you meant when quoting my post.

I use both - primarily Touch ID (thereby using a passcode as well) and the passcode when necessary. My wife, who has both, still punches in the passcode rather than use the Touch ID she has set up. Old habits I guess.

BBerryPowerUser

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm one of those Dinosaurs that kept his iPhone 4s all these years. So yes, it has always had the code for entry - since day 1 when I bought it new. And yes, after all these years it still functions well. A testament to the build quality.

I'm upgrading (finally) to an iPhone 7 in the Fall when they come out and look forward to upgrading to Touch ID, or whatever the iPhone 7 will have for secure entry.

Upgrading from a 4s to a 7. Wow. That will be like going from a Volkswagen to a Bentley. ;)

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who uses TouchID uses a passcode of course.
It's *required* as soon as you turn on TouchID, which you'd be an eedeeoht not to use if you have a phone that can use it.

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure your point? It's correct though, you need a code as backup to Touch ID. :)
I think the point is that the question that starts this thread is poorly phrased, and most of the people answering are talking like they have a choice, when in fact they don't. If you enable TouchID (and you should), then you have to have a passcode.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I do. Have both my thumbs and I'm thinking of adding my wife's just in case something happens to me. After all a married couple should not have secrets which we don't. I mean you never know really in the event of an accident or something.

projekt_war

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have used a passcode on my phone until it was updated to allow for one that was alphanumeric. Yes, it can slow a process of rebooting the phone at those inconvenient moments but it gives me an added sense of security.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the point is that the question that starts this thread is poorly phrased, and most of the people answering are talking like they have a choice, when in fact they don't. If you enable TouchID (and you should), then you have to have a passcode.

True. To add, you should use a lengthy, complex passcode (preferably alphanumeric).

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Correct.
But I still know people that don't use any lock at all .... :cant-watch:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73