Ok to restore from a backup for a new iPhone + new iOS?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm seeing conflicting things about restoring from a backup.

I currently have a 5s on iOS 9.2.1 and I'm interested in getting the SE, which will be on iOS 9.3, of course. I backed up using iTunes and loaded it on the 5s. It would be much easier for me to just restore that backup onto the SE, but not if it will cause issues. I have seen some say that it causes issues and others say that it doesn't for them. I prefer using iTunes though, to back up.

What's your experience? Do you backup and then restore, even with new iPhones, which have a new version of iOS? If I was to backup with iCloud, will I still run into issues?

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm quite new to the iPhone and ios but I would upgrade your 5s to 9.3, do a backup to iTunes and use that to restore to your se. Like I said, I am new to this though

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can restore a backup made on a device running an older iOS version to a device running a newer iOS version, but not the other way around. A majority of people who restore a backup from a previous iPhone into a newer iPhone do not experience any problems whatsoever. Having said that, there are those of us who "prefer" to set up a new device from scratch. It's just a matter of preference. Still, if you were experiencing problems with the old phone, I would not recommend you restore a backup made with that phone onto a new one because you could end up transferring the problem. Know what I mean?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm quite new to the iPhone and ios but I would upgrade your 5s to 9.3, do a backup to iTunes and use that to restore to your se. Like I said, I am new to this though

Posted via the iMore App for Android

The update hasn't hit my phone yet, so I'm just waiting for it (I'm not going to speed it up, lol). I'll have to see more reports on how it goes on the 5s. I'm hoping that I'll get the SE before it hits my phone but that is a stretch. Thank you.

You can restore a backup made on a device running an older iOS version to a device running a newer iOS version, but not the other way around. A majority of people who restore a backup from a previous iPhone into a newer iPhone do not experience any problems whatsoever. Having said that, there are those of us who "prefer" to set up a new device from scratch. It's just a matter of preference. Still, if you were experiencing problems with the old phone, I would not recommend you restore a backup made with that phone onto a new one because you could end up transferring the problem. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean. I'm glad to hear that about not having issues doing that, I will be doing just that then. I have no issues with my phone, any apps or the software so I don't mind doing that. Thank you for that useful information.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
the backup restore will works, but I strongly advice to set the device as new and install again your purchased apps to avoid any glitches.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW