Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 with no 3.5mm headphone jack?

You would see low cost adaptors. Just like with cables.

$20 bucks to be made from Apple ? No thanks. I already pretty much made my mind up if they do this I'll buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 though probably a note 7. Only thing that might convince me to buy an iPhone is if my desire to have a MacBook to go along with my iPhone for iMessage is worth it or not l.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

$20 bucks to be made from Apple ? No thanks. I already pretty much made my mind up if they do this I'll buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 though probably a note 7. Only thing that might convince me to buy an iPhone is if my desire to have a MacBook to go along with my iPhone for iMessage is worth it or not l.

Good luck, and enjoy your new phone. :) Your Mobile Nations account for iMore will work with Android Central so you won't have to register again.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

We'll have to wait and see:

1. What exactly happens
2. What Apple has decided to do to make it happen
3. What options there are for those who need the 3.5mm jack

Everything so far is rumor and speculation. I hope nobody is tossing and turning at night thinking about this :)
LOL yeah, I know it's just rumor, and it's not keeping me up at night. Just hoping they do the do it - it would definitely mean I don't buy another iPhone for the foreseeable future.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

i hope they don't. Apple has slowly moved away from what i find appealing in a phone. And most of the updates don't move me. So Android is more and more a possibility. I'm also not tied to the apple ecosystem. almost all the apps i use except downcast are on Android. So if there is a no port i wouldn't have a big issue switching platforms. Mostly because i don't want to be forced to use apple's headphones or apple licensed headphones. But even before i got my iphone 6 i was heavily considering going Android. Also without subsidies a nexus phone may be much cheaper too which would be a huge factor. But I'm also not looking to change my iphone 6 for a while.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

Perhaps we maybe blowing this out of proportion, I am okay with a little change every now and then; if apple wants to commit to this route then that's fine. But somewhere down the line when apple realizes they made a mistake in this decision, then a next revision of the phone might correct it. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

pibrew

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually hope they do change it. It would open up other possibilities for the phones .... and from what I hear they will actually sound better.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I actually hope they do change it. It would open up other possibilities for the phones .... and from what I hear they will actually sound better.

It may sound better than the current wireless Bluetooth, but I doubt it would sound better than wired. Maybe the same, but not better. So if you purchased a $300 wired headphone set, you would be OK with no way to plug in?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

What other possibilities would it open up that aren't able to be opened up now? The phone already has Bluetooth and a Lightening port.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It may sound better than the current wireless Bluetooth, but I doubt it would sound better than wired. Maybe the same, but not better. So if you purchased a $300 wired headphone set, you would be OK with no way to plug in?

I have a nice pair of Harmon Kardon headphones and the cable is removable, so it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if other headphones are like that though.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a nice pair of Harmon Kardon headphones and the cable is removable, so it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if other headphones are like that though.

And pay $40 for a cable to just use my headphones with my phone? No thanks. Cables that offer the 3 buttons for Apple devices are always priced higher then the non 3 button counterparts like beats and v moda. They both sell their cable for Apple devices at $30. So if they include the fee to be an authorized manufacturer to licence the cable to be inserted into the lightning port I'll tack on another $10

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
And pay $40 for a cable to just use my headphones with my phone? No thanks. Cables that offer the 3 buttons for Apple devices are always priced higher then the non 3 button counterparts like beats and v moda. They both sell their cable for Apple devices at $30. So if they include the fee to be an authorized manufacturer to licence the cable to be inserted into the lightning port I'll tack on another $10

We're all speculating. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are ...

We're all speculating. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

And if it's true bye bye Apple nice knowing you. I refuse to pay for Apple overpriced cables to work with my headphones.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are ...

I think Marques Brownlee says it best. (really love this guy's reviews!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGrPigM0NeE

I agree with him, except for the part where he called the lightning cable a "thunderbolt" cable. Great points though. I/O technology changes all of the time. The audio port is ancient and takes up a considerable amount of space. Just like any technology, it's only a matter of time until something new comes along to replace the audio jack. I'm not saying it's going to be the iPhone 7 but it will happen one day, and everybody will follow Apple's lead.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same points I made about the floppy and optical media drives. I did get a headache from rolling my eyes at the "that's what Apple does" over and over but I do like his videos usually :) Kind of excited to see what goes on when this does happen. iMore is going to have to increase Ambassador pay ;)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are ...

I agree with him, except for the part where he called the lightning cable a "thunderbolt" cable. Great points though. I/O technology changes all of the time. The audio port is ancient and takes up a considerable amount of space. Just like any technology, it's only a matter of time until something new comes along to replace the audio jack. I'm not saying it's going to be the iPhone 7 but it will happen one day, and everybody will follow Apple's lead.

I noticed that, too! I've been subbed to his channel for a few years, and I had to laugh at that mistake. He did correct himself with added text when he edited the vid, but I still laughed out loud.

If they do change it and get rid of the headphone jack, I'm hoping that someone will come up with a dust jack to put in there (like these, only for the current charger hole). I make jewelry and was considering creating some iPhone charms (they're popular on Etsy) with Swarovski Crystals.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are ...

I noticed that, too! I've been subbed to his channel for a few years, and I had to laugh at that mistake. He did correct himself with added text when he edited the vid, but I still laughed out loud.

If they do change it and get rid of the headphone jack, I'm hoping that someone will come up with a dust jack to put in there (like these, only for the current charger hole). I make jewelry and was considering creating some iPhone charms (they're popular on Etsy) with Swarovski Crystals.

They already make those
THE #1 Rated Dust Plug Set for iPhone 6, 6s, 6s Plus - 5 Pairs of Low Profile Anti Dust Plugs - Protect Your Cell Phone From Dust, Lint & Splashes Without a Bulky Case (Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UGO74O...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2689523
As far as iPhone charms go, my wife and mother-in-law would eat them up if they were made from Swarovski crystal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox