Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true?

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true. People have so many expensive headphones that will be obsolete? I just wanted to get people's honest opinions of this is just wild speculation or if this seems like it actually might go through. Apple would have to open up female lighting connectors to third party if that was actually true. Battery cases would be worthless if they couldn't use headphones.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 with no 3.5mm headphone jack?

I would like to think not, but can not give you a definitive answer. Only Apple knows for sure and we the public will not learn until the 7 is released. I just have a hard time believing they would do that when the 3.5mm is so universal. But Apple has been known to do some other things that go against the norm.

klam28

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site

You raise an interesting point about battery cases. Since 3rd party battery case manufacturers cannot include the female lighting port on their products, it would make it even more cumbersome to use yet another adapter for your headphones. IMO if the iPhone 7 banishes the 3mm jack, Bluetooth headphones will really take off. Let's just hope the 7's battery life improves enough so that battery cases aren't as necessary as they are now.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I hope not. I don't mind a phone that's a little bit thick, as long as it has good battery life that is, and I'll be a happy camper.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I think after buying the 6S+ I would personally hold off til the 7S+ comes out.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

You raise an interesting point about battery cases. Since 3rd party battery case manufacturers cannot include the female lighting port on their products, it would make it even more cumbersome to use yet another adapter for your headphones. IMO if the iPhone 7 banishes the 3mm jack, Bluetooth headphones will really take off. Let's just hope the 7's battery life improves enough so that battery cases aren't as necessary as they are now.

I haven't used a battery case since my 5s. Both my 6s & 6s Plus have great battery life just like my 6 Plus before. I have nothing turned off & I use BT in the car & Bose wireless headphones throughout the day.

klam28

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site

I haven't used a battery case since my 5s. Both my 6s & 6s Plus have great battery life just like my 6 Plus before. I have nothing turned off & I use BT in the car & Bose wireless headphones throughout the day.

It's possible I own the one model you don't, the 6! While I must agree that even the 6 has pretty good battery life, I find comfort in having the extra juice on me. This is coming from someone who used to rely on a 26,000mAh power bank before I had the battery case .

lkveggie

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't like it if they eliminated the headphone jack. I have a Bluetooth speaker that I love, but I have an older car so need the jack to play music off my phone. And I have yet to buy Bluetooth headphones.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I haven't used a wired headphone in over a year, so wouldn't make a difference to me. But I certainly understand folks with high end headsets would be upset by that.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure they will offer a Lightening port adapter for the 3.5mm headphone

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I know there are also concerns about being able to listen to music or charging at the same time. I believe Apple will have to bring forward wireless charging if they go with the lightning port instead of the jack. That or two lightning ports, and that I just do not see happening. I think you have to be able to charge and listen at the same time. Just makes sense to me.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

It seems to me that this could me faulty information. Apple is invested in the Beats ecosystem. That being said though, Apple has at times deviated from the norm in the past. I imagine to that Apple could then produce replacement cord for headphones as most high end headphones have cords that unplug from the headphone itself.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure they will offer a Lightening port adapter for the 3.5mm headphone

At only $34.99... (or something). yeah

I've been thinking about this overnight and the one thing that keeps bothering me is that I bet Apple will then make the phone thinner.

We don't need a thinner phone (and I seriously don't want one either), we need a phone the same size with a larger battery.

One thing Apple does that REALLY grates on me is that they change their power connectors and accessories constantly. I have to take four different charging cables with me to charge my Apple devices and it's beginning to annoy me now. Switching would be a no-brainer for me if Apple devices weren't just so darn reliable and good.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't want a very thin phone, I want the best battery that can be achieved in the space of a phone no thicker than a 4s. Also,we all paid good money for our many sets of headphones and may need to charge at the same time as listening to whatever. Apple on past record would not have an adaptor ready at the same time as the new phone comes out.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I would like to think not, but can not give you a definitive answer. Only Apple knows for sure and we the public will not learn until the 7 is released. I just have a hard time believing they would do that when the 3.5mm is so universal. But Apple has been known to do some other things that go against the norm.

Like ditching the floppy and then the CD/DVD drive!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm guessing if anything, they'll change the shape and pancake it a bit to make the phone thinner. They love thinner. If that's the case, you will see adaptors for it. I doubt they'll do away with the port completely. But who knows?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Like ditching the floppy and then the CD/DVD drive!

Agreed, we need progress and you posted excellent examples. As a matter of fact I look forward to new tech. The advantages of only a slight difference in quality of audio, which most average people will never notice, possibly making next iPhone thinner or very slight battery increase just don't make sense to me. We can only speculate for now, but it will not stop me from getting the 7 when it comes out.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

The iPhone 6S is 7.1mm. The current iPod Touch is 6.1mm. Both have headphone jacks. I don't think apple will be ditching the headphone jack.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2