Goodness this rumor is either a lot of hype like the Apple TV was and doesn't come true or is actually going to happen.
    01-21-2016 09:04 AM
    Adapter that Apple will overprice like how they do with the MacBook? No thanks
    You would see low cost adaptors. Just like with cables.
    01-21-2016 11:29 AM
    That's the thought, unless they start using Lightning connector instead, with wireless charging so you won't need that port for power anyway.
    But there are many who already have expensive wired headsets. So they just throw those away? If thinner is their goal, I'd rather see the jack flattened. Then those with wired sets could use an adaptor.
    The adaptor would be nice, but it might just be another item that people are going to mistakably misplace if it ever got lost.
    A895 likes this.
    01-21-2016 05:20 PM
    This is the kind of idea that makes me so spitting mad I can't express my thoughts coherently. There is almost no upside and tons of downside. The standard headphone jack is more than adequate for high quality audio to a pair of headphones. And if the reason would be making the phone thinner? They are already too thin!
    A895 likes this.
    01-21-2016 11:53 PM
    This is the kind of idea that makes me so spitting mad I can't express my thoughts coherently. There is almost no upside and tons of downside. The standard headphone jack is more than adequate for high quality audio to a pair of headphones. And if the reason would be making the phone thinner? They are already too thin!
    We'll have to wait and see:

1. What exactly happens
    2. What Apple has decided to do to make it happen
    3. What options there are for those who need the 3.5mm jack

Everything so far is rumor and speculation. I hope nobody is tossing and turning at night thinking about this
    01-22-2016 08:00 AM
    You would see low cost adaptors. Just like with cables.
    $20 bucks to be made from Apple ? No thanks. I already pretty much made my mind up if they do this I'll buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 though probably a note 7. Only thing that might convince me to buy an iPhone is if my desire to have a MacBook to go along with my iPhone for iMessage is worth it or not l.
    01-22-2016 12:14 PM
    $20 bucks to be made from Apple ? No thanks. I already pretty much made my mind up if they do this I'll buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 though probably a note 7. Only thing that might convince me to buy an iPhone is if my desire to have a MacBook to go along with my iPhone for iMessage is worth it or not l.
    Good luck, and enjoy your new phone. Your Mobile Nations account for iMore will work with Android Central so you won't have to register again.
    01-22-2016 02:37 PM
    We'll have to wait and see:

1. What exactly happens
    2. What Apple has decided to do to make it happen
    3. What options there are for those who need the 3.5mm jack

Everything so far is rumor and speculation. I hope nobody is tossing and turning at night thinking about this
    LOL yeah, I know it's just rumor, and it's not keeping me up at night. Just hoping they do the do it - it would definitely mean I don't buy another iPhone for the foreseeable future.
    01-22-2016 03:35 PM
    i hope they don't. Apple has slowly moved away from what i find appealing in a phone. And most of the updates don't move me. So Android is more and more a possibility. I'm also not tied to the apple ecosystem. almost all the apps i use except downcast are on Android. So if there is a no port i wouldn't have a big issue switching platforms. Mostly because i don't want to be forced to use apple's headphones or apple licensed headphones. But even before i got my iphone 6 i was heavily considering going Android. Also without subsidies a nexus phone may be much cheaper too which would be a huge factor. But I'm also not looking to change my iphone 6 for a while.
    01-22-2016 09:42 PM
    Perhaps we maybe blowing this out of proportion, I am okay with a little change every now and then; if apple wants to commit to this route then that's fine. But somewhere down the line when apple realizes they made a mistake in this decision, then a next revision of the phone might correct it. Just throwing in my 2 cents.
    01-23-2016 03:56 PM
    It might be true and it might not.. We'll just have to wait and see.
    01-25-2016 01:14 AM
    I actually hope they do change it. It would open up other possibilities for the phones .... and from what I hear they will actually sound better.
    01-25-2016 06:23 AM
    I actually hope they do change it. It would open up other possibilities for the phones .... and from what I hear they will actually sound better.
    It may sound better than the current wireless Bluetooth, but I doubt it would sound better than wired. Maybe the same, but not better. So if you purchased a $300 wired headphone set, you would be OK with no way to plug in?
    A895 likes this.
    01-25-2016 08:46 AM
    What other possibilities would it open up that aren't able to be opened up now? The phone already has Bluetooth and a Lightening port.
    01-26-2016 10:52 AM
    It may sound better than the current wireless Bluetooth, but I doubt it would sound better than wired. Maybe the same, but not better. So if you purchased a $300 wired headphone set, you would be OK with no way to plug in?
    I have a nice pair of Harmon Kardon headphones and the cable is removable, so it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if other headphones are like that though.
    01-26-2016 07:48 PM
    I have a nice pair of Harmon Kardon headphones and the cable is removable, so it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if other headphones are like that though.
    And pay $40 for a cable to just use my headphones with my phone? No thanks. Cables that offer the 3 buttons for Apple devices are always priced higher then the non 3 button counterparts like beats and v moda. They both sell their cable for Apple devices at $30. So if they include the fee to be an authorized manufacturer to licence the cable to be inserted into the lightning port I'll tack on another $10
    02-01-2016 09:00 PM
    And pay $40 for a cable to just use my headphones with my phone? No thanks. Cables that offer the 3 buttons for Apple devices are always priced higher then the non 3 button counterparts like beats and v moda. They both sell their cable for Apple devices at $30. So if they include the fee to be an authorized manufacturer to licence the cable to be inserted into the lightning port I'll tack on another $10
    We're all speculating. Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    02-01-2016 09:06 PM
    We're all speculating. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

And if it's true bye bye Apple nice knowing you. I refuse to pay for Apple overpriced cables to work with my headphones.
    02-01-2016 09:07 PM
    And if it's true bye bye Apple nice knowing you.
    People come and go all the time.
    02-01-2016 09:08 PM
    People come and go all the time.
    Pretty much. We'll see what happens when it happens.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-02-2016 07:26 AM
    I think Marques Brownlee says it best. (really love this guy's reviews!)

02-02-2016 05:49 PM
    I think Marques Brownlee says it best. (really love this guy's reviews!)

I agree with him, except for the part where he called the lightning cable a "thunderbolt" cable. Great points though. I/O technology changes all of the time. The audio port is ancient and takes up a considerable amount of space. Just like any technology, it's only a matter of time until something new comes along to replace the audio jack. I'm not saying it's going to be the iPhone 7 but it will happen one day, and everybody will follow Apple's lead.
    02-02-2016 07:10 PM
    Same points I made about the floppy and optical media drives. I did get a headache from rolling my eyes at the "that's what Apple does" over and over but I do like his videos usually Kind of excited to see what goes on when this does happen. iMore is going to have to increase Ambassador pay
    02-02-2016 07:40 PM
    I agree with him, except for the part where he called the lightning cable a "thunderbolt" cable. Great points though. I/O technology changes all of the time. The audio port is ancient and takes up a considerable amount of space. Just like any technology, it's only a matter of time until something new comes along to replace the audio jack. I'm not saying it's going to be the iPhone 7 but it will happen one day, and everybody will follow Apple's lead.

I noticed that, too! I've been subbed to his channel for a few years, and I had to laugh at that mistake. He did correct himself with added text when he edited the vid, but I still laughed out loud.

If they do change it and get rid of the headphone jack, I'm hoping that someone will come up with a dust jack to put in there (like these, only for the current charger hole). I make jewelry and was considering creating some iPhone charms (they're popular on Etsy) with Swarovski Crystals.
    02-02-2016 07:48 PM
    I noticed that, too! I've been subbed to his channel for a few years, and I had to laugh at that mistake. He did correct himself with added text when he edited the vid, but I still laughed out loud.

If they do change it and get rid of the headphone jack, I'm hoping that someone will come up with a dust jack to put in there (like these, only for the current charger hole). I make jewelry and was considering creating some iPhone charms (they're popular on Etsy) with Swarovski Crystals.
    They already make those
    THE #1 Rated Dust Plug Set for iPhone 6, 6s, 6s Plus - 5 Pairs of Low Profile Anti Dust Plugs - Protect Your Cell Phone From Dust, Lint & Splashes Without a Bulky Case (Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UGO74O0...mUvbUpU2689523
    As far as iPhone charms go, my wife and mother-in-law would eat them up if they were made from Swarovski crystal.
    02-02-2016 08:17 PM
104 ... 2345