Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 with no 3.5mm headphone jack?

I don't think this will happen. The 3.5 mm jack is just so universal. its on computers, tablets, game consoles, cars stereos, microphones, etc. Getting rid of it on the 7 doesn't just affect the phone it affects everything. The negatives of removing it far outweigh the positives. To top it all off its not like you get a notable improvement in sound quality.There are smaller and thinner phones out there than the current iPhones and they all still retain the headphone jack.
Highly doubt it will happen if it does then I will not be getting the 7.

So wasn't Apple the one who removed the floppy drive in their computers ? At the time I don't think it was a popular choice but as we can see nobody uses them now.

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Are wireless headphones a great product with a lot of benefits, yes of course but there are many people like me who don't want to mess around with them. I had a pair but if the battery dies I don't have a pair of headphones! Every drug store has headphones. They may be junk but they will at least fill the gap nicely. I like wired headphones because o can leave them in my gym locker and I never will have to charge them. If I used BT headphones I will have to charge them every few days. Also what about payment systems like square that use the headphone jack as a port for credit card payment systems. That will really screw them over as well !

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Are wireless headphones a great product with a lot of benefits, yes of course but there are many people like me who don't want to mess around with them. I had a pair but if the battery dies I don't have a pair of headphones! Every drug store has headphones. They may be junk but they will at least fill the gap nicely. I like wired headphones because o can leave them in my gym locker and I never will have to charge them. If I used BT headphones I will have to charge them every few days. Also what about payment systems like square that use the headphone jack as a port for credit card payment systems. That will really screw them over as well !

Square is now using Blue Tooth for their payment systems. No need for the headphone jack.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

A lot of them allow you to plug them in if the battery dies so point is kind of moot. The beats solo 2 wireless does and the v moda crossfade wireless are two that I know of

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

With this rumor and the very likely hood of the 3.5mm delete to promote thinness, this now made me appreciate my 6 plus; so I will be keeping it a little longer.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

With this rumor and the very likely hood of the 3.5mm delete to promote thinness, this now made me appreciate my 6 plus; so I will be keeping it a little longer.

I will consider going back to Android if they decide this. What might make me get an iPhone 7 though is I have a MacBook Pro and texting people even with sms is so cool on it lol

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

It makes me wonder, you know how when you buy any apple product whether it is an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc and such; apple would always provide with at least a headphones to start. So with this impending evolution to the iPhone 7, would apple throw a bluetooth headphone? Just wanted to point that out.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It makes me wonder, you know how when you buy any apple product whether it is an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc and such; apple would always provide with at least a headphones to start. So with this impending evolution to the iPhone 7, would apple throw a bluetooth headphone? Just wanted to point that out.

That's the thought, unless they start using Lightning connector instead, with wireless charging so you won't need that port for power anyway.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

If the rumor becomes true, then will simultaneous charging and audio playback from the Lightening port work?

As for wired vs. Bluetooth headphones. I'm not against Bluetooth at all, but agree with those above that for me the practicality provided by non-powered wired headphones outweighs the benefits from Bluetooth/non-wired.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

That's the thought, unless they start using Lightning connector instead, with wireless charging so you won't need that port for power anyway.

Wireless charging requires a phone be in one spot so I hope that isn't a possibility in the slightest.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I will consider going back to Android if they decide this. What might make me get an iPhone 7 though is I have a MacBook Pro and texting people even with sms is so cool on it lol

You can do that, but if Apple goes no jack, you can rest assured Google will soon follow suit.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

If wireless charging means it sits on a dock, I'm not for it. I can plug it in just as easy. And I can use it while plugged in. You can't use it while it sits on a dock. The current method of wireless charging just seems gimmicky.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

A lot of them allow you to plug them in if the battery dies so point is kind of moot. The beats solo 2 wireless does and the v moda crossfade wireless are two that I know of

But there are many who already have expensive wired headsets. So they just throw those away? If thinner is their goal, I'd rather see the jack flattened. Then those with wired sets could use an adaptor.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

But there are many who already have expensive wired headsets. So they just throw those away? If thinner is their goal, I'd rather see the jack flattened. Then those with wired sets could use an adaptor.

Adapter that Apple will overprice like how they do with the MacBook? No thanks

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Goodness this rumor is either a lot of hype like the Apple TV was and doesn't come true or is actually going to happen.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site

The adaptor would be nice, but it might just be another item that people are going to mistakably misplace if it ever got lost.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

This is the kind of idea that makes me so spitting mad I can't express my thoughts coherently. There is almost no upside and tons of downside. The standard headphone jack is more than adequate for high quality audio to a pair of headphones. And if the reason would be making the phone thinner? They are already too thin!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

This is the kind of idea that makes me so spitting mad I can't express my thoughts coherently. There is almost no upside and tons of downside. The standard headphone jack is more than adequate for high quality audio to a pair of headphones. And if the reason would be making the phone thinner? They are already too thin!

We'll have to wait and see:

1. What exactly happens
2. What Apple has decided to do to make it happen
3. What options there are for those who need the 3.5mm jack

Everything so far is rumor and speculation. I hope nobody is tossing and turning at night thinking about this :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal