You actually make an interesting point without trying. 3rd Party Case manufactures could actually have a new market. A case that connects to the lightning port and has a 3.5 mm jack built into the case.
    01-12-2016 04:55 PM
    3rd party creators that want to stay in business will adjust without any issues. People made the same argument about 3rd party accessories when Apple ditched the 30-pin. In fact, if this comes to be true and Apple releases the protocol for a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter I suggest case manufactures build a case with the adapter built in.
    01-12-2016 05:04 PM
    hylex, don't be so dramatic. Both the HD598 and HD650 use detachable cables. If Apple chooses to do away with the 3.5mm, chances are all you'll have to do is to get the new Lightning to 3.5mm cable and you'll be good to go.
    01-12-2016 05:29 PM
    The iPhone 6S is 7.1mm. The current iPod Touch is 6.1mm. Both have headphone jacks. I don't think apple will be ditching the headphone jack.
    What if their goal is 6mm?

I think the 3.5 jack is too widely used at this point to consider deprecation. If Apple does indeed eliminate the jack and make the phone thinner, then I hope Tim Cook hears the sound of the entire world groaning, followed by the worst sales figures of any iPhone.

Sadly, most will complain and buy anyway, reinforcing their belief that they can do whatever they like and people will still throw money at them.
    Ledsteplin and ritesh like this.
    01-12-2016 10:21 PM
    What if their goal is 6mm?

I think the 3.5 jack is too widely used at this point to consider deprecation. If Apple does indeed eliminate the jack and make the phone thinner, then I hope Tim Cook hears the sound of the entire world groaning, followed by the worst sales figures of any iPhone.

Sadly, most will complain and buy anyway, reinforcing their belief that they can do whatever they like and people will still throw money at them.
    There is no proof of anything Apple plans to do at this point. If Apple gets rid of the built in headphone jack, so be it. I will believe it if it happens.

I would still buy an iPhone, because my current Etymotics won't be useless, but still useable with an adaptor. I can still use them with an adaptor with my current iPhone. That same D/A headphone amp I have now will work with the new iPhone also.
    01-12-2016 10:27 PM
    hylex, don't be so dramatic. Both the HD598 and HD650 use detachable cables. If Apple chooses to do away with the 3.5mm, chances are all you'll have to do is to get the new Lightning to 3.5mm cable and you'll be good to go.
    /rolls eyes. Now whose exaggerating. Do you really think THAT"s a solution? No thanks. I will stick to the tried and trusted 3.5 mm jack. Anyway moot point. LG V10 with its great quality dac is being acquired. it will serve the purpose of music well.
    01-13-2016 02:27 AM
    Many years ago I had wasted a lot of great wired head phones snagging on stuff like for instance me accidentally yanking them off while on the treadmill at the gym and the pain of them getting yanked from my ears! So whenever the first decent Bluetooth stereo headsets was made available I bought a pair and never went back! Now for me the Bluetooth headsets seem to last forever compared to my wired 3.5 mm jack headsets!

I do think people have nothing to really worry about as if Apple released the iPhone 7 without the 3.5 mm jack and it didn't sell well it wouldn't take that much work to release the next 7 S with a 3.5 mm jack!
    01-13-2016 08:56 PM
    I don't think this will happen. The 3.5 mm jack is just so universal. its on computers, tablets, game consoles, cars stereos, microphones, etc. Getting rid of it on the 7 doesn't just affect the phone it affects everything. The negatives of removing it far outweigh the positives. To top it all off its not like you get a notable improvement in sound quality.There are smaller and thinner phones out there than the current iPhones and they all still retain the headphone jack.
    Highly doubt it will happen if it does then I will not be getting the 7.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    01-16-2016 12:45 PM
    More rumors of this happening. The iMore podcast even covered it, with Rene mentioning suppliers getting reduced orders. Hard to know for sure.
    With wireless charging, I would imagine they could switch to lightning headphones for those that want wired, and an optional (included?) adapter for those with expensive 3.5mm headphones.
    01-16-2016 03:07 PM
    Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true. People have so many expensive headphones that will be obsolete? I just wanted to get people's honest opinions of this is just wild speculation or if this seems like it actually might go through. Apple would have to open up female lighting connectors to third party if that was actually true. Battery cases would be worthless if they couldn't use headphones.
    Short answer right now out of impulse is ill buy an Android device. Considering I have until March of next year to decide I'll have quite a while to decide rationally what my choices are and very well keep my 6 plus.
    01-16-2016 05:06 PM
    I don't think this will happen. The 3.5 mm jack is just so universal. its on computers, tablets, game consoles, cars stereos, microphones, etc. Getting rid of it on the 7 doesn't just affect the phone it affects everything. The negatives of removing it far outweigh the positives. To top it all off its not like you get a notable improvement in sound quality.There are smaller and thinner phones out there than the current iPhones and they all still retain the headphone jack.
    Highly doubt it will happen if it does then I will not be getting the 7.
    So wasn't Apple the one who removed the floppy drive in their computers ? At the time I don't think it was a popular choice but as we can see nobody uses them now.
    01-16-2016 05:07 PM
    So wasn't Apple the one who removed the floppy drive in their computers ? At the time I don't think it was a popular choice but as we can see nobody uses them now.
    Yup. Mentioned that earlier. CD/DVD drives as well.
    01-17-2016 02:14 PM
    Are wireless headphones a great product with a lot of benefits, yes of course but there are many people like me who don't want to mess around with them. I had a pair but if the battery dies I don't have a pair of headphones! Every drug store has headphones. They may be junk but they will at least fill the gap nicely. I like wired headphones because o can leave them in my gym locker and I never will have to charge them. If I used BT headphones I will have to charge them every few days. Also what about payment systems like square that use the headphone jack as a port for credit card payment systems. That will really screw them over as well !
    01-19-2016 01:58 PM
    Are wireless headphones a great product with a lot of benefits, yes of course but there are many people like me who don't want to mess around with them. I had a pair but if the battery dies I don't have a pair of headphones! Every drug store has headphones. They may be junk but they will at least fill the gap nicely. I like wired headphones because o can leave them in my gym locker and I never will have to charge them. If I used BT headphones I will have to charge them every few days. Also what about payment systems like square that use the headphone jack as a port for credit card payment systems. That will really screw them over as well !
    Square is now using Blue Tooth for their payment systems. No need for the headphone jack.
    01-19-2016 02:15 PM

A lot of them allow you to plug them in if the battery dies so point is kind of moot. The beats solo 2 wireless does and the v moda crossfade wireless are two that I know of
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    01-19-2016 07:40 PM
    With this rumor and the very likely hood of the 3.5mm delete to promote thinness, this now made me appreciate my 6 plus; so I will be keeping it a little longer.
    A895 likes this.
    01-19-2016 10:23 PM
    With this rumor and the very likely hood of the 3.5mm delete to promote thinness, this now made me appreciate my 6 plus; so I will be keeping it a little longer.
    I will consider going back to Android if they decide this. What might make me get an iPhone 7 though is I have a MacBook Pro and texting people even with sms is so cool on it lol
    robertk328 and ladyc0524 like this.
    01-20-2016 12:00 PM
    It makes me wonder, you know how when you buy any apple product whether it is an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc and such; apple would always provide with at least a headphones to start. So with this impending evolution to the iPhone 7, would apple throw a bluetooth headphone? Just wanted to point that out.
    01-20-2016 10:18 PM
    It makes me wonder, you know how when you buy any apple product whether it is an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc and such; apple would always provide with at least a headphones to start. So with this impending evolution to the iPhone 7, would apple throw a bluetooth headphone? Just wanted to point that out.
    That's the thought, unless they start using Lightning connector instead, with wireless charging so you won't need that port for power anyway.
    01-21-2016 05:54 AM
    If the rumor becomes true, then will simultaneous charging and audio playback from the Lightening port work?

As for wired vs. Bluetooth headphones. I'm not against Bluetooth at all, but agree with those above that for me the practicality provided by non-powered wired headphones outweighs the benefits from Bluetooth/non-wired.
    01-21-2016 07:35 AM
    That's the thought, unless they start using Lightning connector instead, with wireless charging so you won't need that port for power anyway.
    Wireless charging requires a phone be in one spot so I hope that isn't a possibility in the slightest.
    01-21-2016 08:02 AM
    I will consider going back to Android if they decide this. What might make me get an iPhone 7 though is I have a MacBook Pro and texting people even with sms is so cool on it lol
    You can do that, but if Apple goes no jack, you can rest assured Google will soon follow suit.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-21-2016 08:17 AM
    If wireless charging means it sits on a dock, I'm not for it. I can plug it in just as easy. And I can use it while plugged in. You can't use it while it sits on a dock. The current method of wireless charging just seems gimmicky.
    01-21-2016 08:26 AM
    A lot of them allow you to plug them in if the battery dies so point is kind of moot. The beats solo 2 wireless does and the v moda crossfade wireless are two that I know of
    But there are many who already have expensive wired headsets. So they just throw those away? If thinner is their goal, I'd rather see the jack flattened. Then those with wired sets could use an adaptor.
    01-21-2016 08:32 AM
    But there are many who already have expensive wired headsets. So they just throw those away? If thinner is their goal, I'd rather see the jack flattened. Then those with wired sets could use an adaptor.
    Adapter that Apple will overprice like how they do with the MacBook? No thanks
    A895 likes this.
    01-21-2016 08:55 AM
104 12345