I think it's a great idea! Thinner phone too!!!
    And more posts about poor battery life? No thanks
    A895 and ladyc0524 like this.
    01-10-2016 06:36 PM
    We'll see how this pans out. As of now there have been no official announcements and no indication of how this will be implemented if it's true. There better be an adaptor included with the iPhone though or Apple is going to face a TON of criticism outside of these forum discussions IMHO.
    All those Beats headphones out there need somewhere to plug into!
    01-10-2016 06:46 PM
    All those Beats headphones out there need somewhere to plug into!
    I thought about that too. A portion of their business involves things that plug into 35mm jacks. That's why I'm inclined to believe they will come up with some sort of consumer-friendly solution.
    01-10-2016 06:48 PM
    From what little I have read one of the things it will bring is better clarity and sound through the lightning port. The thinness thing I don't care about also. I would vote for a larger batter, though I get great battery life with my iPhone 6.
    If they are doing this for thinness there are thinner devices than an iPhone with a headphone jack.
    01-10-2016 08:57 PM
    If they are doing this for thinness there are thinner devices than an iPhone with a headphone jack.
    Not thinner than 3.5mm though. LOL.

I don't understand why they need to be thinner than they are. Compared to the battery packs the first models harbored today's devices are like paper thin.
    01-10-2016 09:01 PM
    It's easily visible. A phone with larger screen and thinner body.
    Now they can even add "better sound quality through Lightning port".

Besides, what will be the next hardware-dependent feature to come from Apple or the competitors after pressure sensitive screen.
    Just adding processing power is not that impressive anymore, just like in the desktop computer world where it has became a boring race. Nothing new, just faster and stronger than last year.
    I thought about that too. A portion of their business involves things that plug into 35mm jacks. That's why I'm inclined to believe they will come up with some sort of consumer-friendly solution.
    Lightning port speakers ? Or maybe adapters that can plug both 35mm jack and Lightning port so user can listen while charging.
    But the jack won't do anything but listen to music. Anything else have to be certified for Lightning port.
    01-10-2016 10:15 PM
    Good point about wireless charging.

I too have a couple of nice wired phones, but I look forward ditching old tech. I wouldn't mind buying a new adapter for the old headphones for the transition period. One of them is a Bose, with a replaceable wire, so I wouldn't be surprised if they release a new wire with a Lightning connector.
    It sucks having to spend a few bucks buying connector/adaptors. But it's not too much in the grand scheme of things (just think about the price of the iPhones themselves).
    01-11-2016 12:23 AM
    This is not the same as getting rid of floppy and CD/DVD drives. Floppy didn't go away until Better options were out there.
    Bluetooth is not a better option for people who care about audio quality. Bluetooth sounds horrible.

CD/DVD drives went away in macs because Apple would Never support Blu-ray.
    99% of the world population had a 1080p TV because they got so cheap, anyone could have one.
    Streaming 1080p and Blu Ray and HD were very big before the CD/DVD player went away.
    Very few people have car play. Not everyone has a 2014+ car, some barely have an AUX port.

I am sure there will be a $59 adapter apple will gladly sell you, but dongles suck.
    Since Apple refuses to go USB C, then they need to wait until iPhone 8.
    The iPod Nano is only 5.4mm thick, which has a 3.5mm jack and that is Plenty thin.

This is just another part that apple can stop paying for, yet still charge the same for the phone.
    Then steal more money from everyone with a $49-$99 lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

I will bet money the iPhone 7 base model is Still 16GB and likely won't have a 3.5mm jack and the adapter will not be free.
    MOAR profit. F the customer.
    I don't care about headphones, I don't use them. But I don't want to buy a 3.5mm adapter just to listen to music in my car.
    If the iPhone 7 has an expensive adapter, i will go Note 6 instead. I'll look at iPhone in a few years when I buy a new car with bluetooth built in.
    Best part about not being a loyalist. I will buy what meets my needs, not what's cool to my friends.
    zaph2 and A895 like this.
    01-11-2016 01:00 AM
    If the Lightening port will have to do double duty, that means more wear and tear on a single point of failure. Currently the 3.5 mm port takes the wear/tear from the headphone jacks for audio, while the Lightening port handles the data/power aspects.

If a single port iPhone actually happens, the above may end up not being a concern, but something to consider.
    01-11-2016 07:42 AM
    I cannot wait to see Apple's ridiculous excuses for removing an industry standard 1/8" stereo jack and replacing it with a need for a $45 lightning-to-1/8" stereo adapter. Every time Apple takes a step forward and smart by using an industry-compatible interface like USB-C, they feel the Yin/Yang pull to do something equally stupid in the opposite direction. While I sympathize with their need to replace the 30-pin connector with the Lightning connector, I replaced 10 lightning cables last year because they stopped working. At $19 a pop, I'm a little burned out on Apple's forced obsolescence.
    Last edited by Jeff Sepeta; 01-11-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
    zaph2 and A895 like this.
    01-11-2016 09:34 AM
    You're missing the bigger picture. Apple had a profit motive to not include Blue Ray -- they sell movies through the iTunes store. Having such a relatively small customer base, dropping floppy drives and zip drives from their computers was an easy decision to make.

I'd gladly pay for a slightly thicker device if that thickness is filled by battery. So would many consumers.

The AUX port (35mm / 1/8" jack) on my 2010 car stopped working $170 to fix. As the stereo has neither a USB port or bluetooth, I'm debating whether or not to fix it. For now I'm just playing CD's.
    01-11-2016 09:48 AM
    I'm good with it.
    Been using Bluetooth headphones for the past 3 years and don't plan on going back to wired.

If they do get rid of the jack, it won't matter in the long run. Sure people will get upset at first, but then they'll get used to it.

The iPhone's selling point has never been the headphone jack; so I can't see people opting not to get one because of that.
    iwoodland likes this.
    01-11-2016 10:18 AM
    I hate the idea of losing the jack because I bought $400 over ear headphones. None of the ear bud crap. But you bring up a valuable point. I didn't even think of my car. I also have an 3.5mm jack in my car so I need the cable for that too. I hope they at least have an adapter if they do lose the 3.5mm pin.
    01-11-2016 01:24 PM
    I'm a little in between on believing the rumors. Mark Gurman has very reliable sources and a complete overhaul of conventional design by Apple isn't out of their realm of possibility. I hesitate in fully believing it because the iPhone is such a major device for Apple. It sells more than any other device. I can't see them doing such a major overhaul to this product.

However, if they do decide to remove the headphone jack, I am sure there will be some very cool replacement device (both free and premium price) made available to the consumer.
    01-11-2016 01:44 PM
    Good point by @dharris382 -- so far this is all rumor so nothing to get upset / worked up about. Yet
    01-11-2016 02:03 PM
    From my experience, almost all headphones over 100$ will use replaceable cables to minimize reparation costs and for cases like this.

Apple doesn't want to alienate big players like Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, etc. and their customers. They'll allow audio manufacturers to sell cables with a lightning connector if it's in their best interest.
    dharris382 and Rob Phillips like this.
    01-11-2016 03:51 PM
    My hunch is that if they choose to ditch the 3.5mm jack, there will be lots of fuss for a couple of months before it is forgotten, similar to the path of the floppy disk and the DVD drive. Then it's over and we tell our kids that we used to have these primitive analog devices long ago.

As to the benefits of keeping the ancient 3.5mm "standard" - let's see: it works with current headphones that will all wear out and be tossed within 3 years. It allows users to use cheap, readily available, awful sounding headphones with their super-nice iPhones, which I suspect is not a priority for a luxury brand. It's analog, which is rapidly going the way of the dodo bird in audio chain (and rightly so!).

It isn't as if Apple would drop the 3.5mm jack without a compelling solution in place. There will be one, and my prediction is that it will be just fine. After a couple of months, the game is over. Everybody is, in fact, fine.

Note: I'm listening on my "nice" analog headphones. They will live another 2 years or so. I might get an adaptor, or not, depending upon the calculus of the moment things change.
    01-11-2016 04:51 PM
    My hunch is that if they choose to ditch the 3.5mm jack, there will be lots of fuss for a couple of months before it is forgotten, similar to the path of the floppy disk and the DVD drive.
    People need to stop comparing this to losing the DVD drive and floppy disk. A headphone port is still the industry standard and is so good it has lasted decades. There is no real alternative that is just as commercially viable as 3.5mm. Everyone knows that let's stop encouraging moves that negatively impact consumers.
    elmit22 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    01-11-2016 09:44 PM
    This seems just like the ipod. No need for discs.. lets just put it all on a hard drive and forget all the bulk.. no need for 3.5 mm headphone jack.. let's innovate and simplify it. Something Apple has always done!..
    01-11-2016 11:31 PM
    I'm currently somewhere in the middle, but I'm leaning towards the "I'm not cool with this" side.

The 3.5mm headphone jack has been with us for a long time and has always been a reliable connector to plug your headphones into. That's why nearly every gadget has one, unless you count the Oppo R5, which was ridiculously thin at 4.85mm (and way below my comfortable thickness range) and as such, can't fit a headphone jack. So they had to supply a dongle.

Which brings us the question. If this is true, what is Apple trying to do? I read Rene's article about some guy claiming that removing the 3.5mm headphone jack "will improve audio quality". I'm sorry, but that is absolute bullcrap.

If audio quality needs to be improved, removing the headphone jack is not the way to do it since it does not bring any benefit to audio quality and if it does, the benefits are so tiny, no one would notice. For audio quality to really improve, you need to improve the DAC, add or improve the headphone amplifier and also bring higher-resolution audio files to the masses. That's how you improve audio quality. You can look at devices like the LG V10, which features pretty much all of the above.

My other big concern is that Apple could be ditching it to make their phones thinner. I'm also not okay with this because our phones are already very thin as they already are. My iPad Pro is 6.9mm thin and on a phone, I find that borderline comfortable. Given that one pain point about the 6S is its battery life (and leading Apple to release that battery case, which I still think looks pretty fugly), Apple should consider making the phone slightly thicker and stuff in a larger battery OR keep the same thickness but adapt the MacBook 2015's battery tech for use in the iPhone 7. I don't need a thinner phone. Yeah, it looks great and appealing in a store, but once you own one, that battery life will eventually become quite a pain point.

On the other hand, Apple could ditch the headphone jack to increase space for something like a bigger battery. To me, that is pretty darn unlikely, but if that's the case, then I am partly okay with it, but given that I'm a heavy headphones user, I frankly don't see the appeal, especially since the dongle likely won't be included in the box and has to be purchased separately at a high price for a dongle, which is classic Apple.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    01-12-2016 01:14 AM
    The camera barely fits the frame as it is, so I don't think the P2 connector, which is only marginally larger than the Lightning port, is the limiting factor of thickness here.
    01-12-2016 08:40 AM
    Dumbest idea I gave ever heard. Get rid of a universal standard that can be used with the cheapest accessories to moving to only.one port that is proprietary? How will I charge my phone and listen to music?

What benefits to the mass consumer does this bring really? All I see is Apple charging people for a bunch of adaptors. It's ridiculous. And people have the audacity to say this is the future, there is no way causing more problems than solutions by doing this is the future in any way. If Apple does this for real, I definitely won't be upgrading to a future iphone. There will be no way I spend more money for adapters or lightning headphones.
    Pretty much this. I got Sennheiser's 598/650 and a far more expensive pair (1700 usd) . All of them get equal amounts of use and if apple chooses to do away with the 3.5 mm jack, just for the heck of it? Well they are losing me as a customer for good. Instead of using a better DAC they will instead do away with it, just to create a new revenue stream and try and sell horrible beats headphones.
    Last edited by hylex; 01-12-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Typos
    01-12-2016 09:43 AM
    if this happens i think Apple should be investigated for profiteering. because they are causing a problem and will be charging for the solution.
    01-12-2016 10:03 AM
    What they need to do in the 7 is introduce audio through lightning and include a pair of lightning headphones. That would allow people to know that the end is coming for 3.5mm and begin the switch. Apple would never do this though.
    01-12-2016 10:04 AM
    I understand that most of the new technology is to go wireless. In this case it will be somewhat a bad idea. Sure, go ahead and include bluetooth headset with the phone but still give us the option to use our favorite pair whether it is or not bluetooth. 3rd Party creators will be mad about this one, that's their bread and butter. You buy a set of headphones - dog chews it up - you go buy more.
    I think this is a great and not so unique idea, we will see if they will go though with it.
    If CES of any indication, the set of two wireless earpieces is the new hot thing in coming year.
    01-12-2016 01:55 PM
104 1234 ...