Giving up my unlimited data

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been holding on my unlimited data plan with AT&T since I got the original iPhone. Today I finally made the decision to give it up for a family share plan. I have 5 lines and 3 of us have iPhones I've been watching the data usage and at most we've all used a total of 8 gb a month with me being the data hog. My usage really varies from 1gb to over 5gb on occasion but even then you get that throttle threat? so is really even unlimited?!?!?

Anyways with the 5 lines my phone bill is hovering near $250 even with my corporate discount. Changing plans and canceling a line we used for business is now bringing the bill down to $150. Holding onto my unlimited data just wasn't worth it anymore.

That being said it was still really hard to let it go.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Same experience here. I protected that "unlimited" plan for years until I realized that I really didn't need it. I run a great Wi-Fi network at home, my works Wi-Fi is acceptable. The only time I use cellular data is while commuting or I'm out and about. The same applies to the Misses as well ...

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I gave up my unlimited data several years ago. Even when I really try the most I use each month is 5GB of data. I love my phone. I use it all the time, but the reality is I am almost always connected to a wifi network. My work just got w wifi network installed (I work retail) and it will be going live shortly, so that is going to use even less data each month.

supert1020

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I gave up my unlimited data several years ago. Even when I really try the most I use each month is 5GB of data. I love my phone. I use it all the time, but the reality is I am almost always connected to a wifi network. My work just got w wifi network installed (I work retail) and it will be going live shortly, so that is going to use even less data each month.

If your work uses an open wifi network it would be very easy to spy on what your doing as there is no encryption going on. It's easy to snoop on what anyone is doing. Unless you use a VPN but the safer thing would be using cellular data its almost impossible to snoop. I have T-mobile I use 25GB a month I don't have to hunt for wifi I can steem music and movies all I want anywhere. At&t and Verizon are stupid not only can you get unlimited data on T-mobile its also cheaper and like I said more secure. Do yourselves a favor look into T-Mobile.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
If your work uses an open wifi network it would be very easy to spy on what your doing as there is no encryption going on. It's easy to snoop on what anyone is doing. Unless you use a VPN but the safer thing would be using cellular data its almost impossible to snoop. I have T-mobile I use 25GB a month I don't have to hunt for wifi I can steem music and movies all I want anywhere. At&t and Verizon are stupid not only can you get unlimited data on T-mobile its also cheaper and like I said more secure. Do yourselves a favor look into T-Mobile.

Said the guy who works at T-Mobile ...

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree that using an open Wifi can be dangerous, so while at work I use cellular data. I use my home Wifi when at home. Even so I only use about 1.5gb per month, but I don't stream music, etc. So I switched to Cricket and pay $35 month flat with no additional charges or taxes. I'm a happy camper.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

When I worked retail I think my data usage was higher because the only wifi available was the malls and it sucked. Now I work in an office and I'm always on that wifi. I only stream music at work so I think giving up my unlimited data was a good idea when I consider how much I'll be saving each month.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Said the guy who works at T-Mobile ...

He is just making a suggestion -- nothing wrong with that :). I in no way shape or form work for T-Mobile but I do use them .. I average 100-150 GB of mobile data a month to the tune of $50. Most of my usage is at work where our wifi is pitiful (as in can't even stream music without buffers mid-song) so I rely on my LTE. With that said I still wouldn't connect to open wifi networks even if I had a limited plan .. I don't trust them.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't work at T-mobile or have friends that do. I do think how ever T-mobile is by far the best for the money.

In my area T-Mobile isn't that good, it works in the city part but once you go about 10 miles out in any direction you lose service or it drops to Edge. The price is great but at a cost of service.

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just made the switch from unlimited data on September 25th. For me it was all about weighing out the advantages of unlimited data on a so-so network and a capped data network with phenomenal coverage. At the end of the day, the better network (Verizon) won. Even though I have to keep an eye on my data usage, to me I made the best decision. I just couldn't take anymore dead zones and dropped calls. To each his/her own!

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

We don't have that kind of company. I work at Wawa. They just installed wifi to benefit the customers who use xfinity hot spots. I have the password to the actual network. We don't ha e IT people or any of that.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't work at T-mobile or have friends that do. I do think how ever T-mobile is by far the best for the money.

I have T-mobile as well ...
The whole point of the OP's post was the fact that they had been unnecessarily carrying a grandfathered "unlimited" data plan for sometime, while never truly utilizing it, when they could be better served by a cheaper yet limited plan. The OP, nor myself by concurring with their post were in search of a sales pitch for switching carriers ...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2