Brand new iPhone 6s Plus...extreme battery drain

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello all

I've made the move over iOS in the last 48 hours and one of the big reasons I left android was because iPhones are just supposed to work. So imagine my dismay when my brand new out of the box 6s Plus eats through battery like its nobody's business.

I know this isn't normal but if I wanted a phone that I had to screw around with just to get it to work, I would have stuck with Android.

What do I need to do to fix this? Permanently

Just in the five minutes it took me to type this my phone drained 6% and it appears to be running warm/hot as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Hold on both buttons until the apple logo comes up. This reboots it. Have you fully charged your phone? Check background apps. Have you put it down? Not being smart just honest.

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes I rebooted it...it's on its 3rd charge cycle...charged to 100% when I first took it out of the box...drained to 0...recharge back up to 100....drained down to 0....charged it back up to 100...and its drained 41% in just under 2 hours...

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Even using it constantly... which I haven't been....it should not be draining that fast unless gaming heavy

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all

I've made the move over iOS in the last 48 hours and one of the big reasons I left android was because iPhones are just supposed to work. So imagine my dismay when my brand new out of the box 6s Plus eats through battery like its nobody's business.

I know this isn't normal but if I wanted a phone that I had to screw around with just to get it to work, I would have stuck with Android.

What do I need to do to fix this? Permanently

Just in the five minutes it took me to type this my phone drained 6% and it appears to be running warm/hot as well

The single biggest cause of battery life problems is restoring from backup and not setting up as a new iPhone. Yes, setting up as a new iPhone is a pain but, if you have significant problems that nothing else can fix, setting up as new can also be the solution. It's the nuclear option, no doubt about it. You will have to set up absolutely everything again, and you will lose all your saved data like game levels, but in most cases your battery life will be better than ever.

~Rene Ritchie
http://www.imore.com/battery-life-problems-iphone-6s-plus-heres-fix

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
The single biggest cause of battery life problems is restoring from backup and not setting up as a new iPhone. Yes, setting up as a new iPhone is a pain but, if you have significant problems that nothing else can fix, setting up as new can also be the solution. It's the nuclear option, no doubt about it. You will have to set up absolutely everything again, and you will lose all your saved data like game levels, but in most cases your battery life will be better than ever.

~Rene Ritchie
http://www.imore.com/battery-life-problems-iphone-6s-plus-heres-fix

That's what I was afraid of....I think I may just go ahead and jump to the public betas.....they just released #5

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Although I didn't restore from backup.... Maybe transferring stuff over from android messed some stuff up

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes I rebooted it...it's on its 3rd charge cycle...charged to 100% when I first took it out of the box...drained to 0...recharge back up to 100....drained down to 0....charged it back up to 100...and its drained 41% in just under 2 hours...

Just a note that this is not good to do to modern batteries.

Hope you solve the issue, though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Although I didn't restore from backup.... Maybe transferring stuff over from android messed some stuff up

It might not hurt to give it a day and see if things cool off. Setting up a new phone is resource intensive which, of course, drains batteries quickly. Just as a comparison, I have a 6s Plus and can go all day with pretty regular use. I charge to 100% every night and rarely have to plug in during the day.

Last edited:

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I was going to give it another day...I just needed to vent some frustration. I have to work early in the morning and staying up late tonight setting everything up isn't an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I would suggest setting up as new when you have the time, this will probably help battery life a great deal....ENJOY the site

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Sorry your phone is draining so fast. Check to see if there is one offending app. If you can identify it in settings, get rid of it. But setting up as new may be what you have to do. It takes awhile but worth it.

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Just as a side note...how do you set up as a new device? Is there any benefit to doing it through iTunes? I've heard that there have have been issues with OTA updates and I OTA'ed 9.0.2 right when I got the phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You can wipe it from settings. Or you can through iTunes. I usually OTA it bc I'm lazy but I think folks may be accurate when they say doing it through iTunes is better.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Settings\Battery\Battery Usage should show which app(s) are using the most battery. In the past (iPhone 5S, iOS 7.x) I've had the native email app get hung or crash (would show up in Diagnostics and Usage), and when that happened the hung process was consuming more than normal CPU, which in turn chewed through battery quite fast. I'd leave for work at 100%, and then an hour later notice the battery level had dropped to 80% or less with little usage. So, recommend checking to see if you have an app(s) or process that are misbehaving.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just as a side note...how do you set up as a new device? Is there any benefit to doing it through iTunes? I've heard that there have have been issues with OTA updates and I OTA'ed 9.0.2 right when I got the phone.

This is what I usually do when a new iOS version gets released after I do both an iCloud and iTunes backup.

1. Locate the current .ipsw file on my MacBook and then put it in the trash bin.
2. Put my iPhone in DFU mode.
3. Connect the device to my MacBook and allow iTunes to detect it in recovery.
4. Select "restore and update" to allow iTunes to download and install a fresh full copy of the latest official iOS version for my device.
5. When the process is complete and I'm met with the Welcome screen, I choose to set it up as a new device rather than from a backup.
6. After entering my Wi-Fi passcode, when prompted, I set up iCloud, iMessage, FaceTine as well as log into the iTunes & App Store. I have a separate Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes & App Store.
7. I then set up my other email accounts.
8. After that, I install my purchased apps
9. Afterwards, I go through each and every setting and make changes according to my likes and needs.
10. I set up my home screens.

nateohio

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Good news....it seems like my battery drain may have just been associated with breaking in a new phone.

I have been off of the charger for almost 8 hours and am experiencing acceptable battery drain. The phone shows about two and a half hours usage which makes sense if that usage time includes streaming audio via Bluetooth to my car speakers. Streaming audio was about one and a half hours and I also used navigation for about 35 minutes this morning.

Right now I'm at 64% and holding pretty steady. That's acceptable to me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner