Applecare with Verizon iPhone 6s Yearly Upgrade?

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Need some opinions. I was going to get Applecare for my iPhone 6s Plus, but since I "financed" through Verizon and they are offering yearly upgrades now, whats the point of paying for two years of Applecare? I don't plan on keeping the phone for two years. Its not worth it, in two years the phone won't be worth the 949 bucks that it would cost to pay it off. Might as well let Verizon eat half that and upgrade.

Yes, I am aware I can request a pro-rated refund on Applecare. If I didn't do applecare I would go without an accidental warranty of any kind, because to sign up for Verizon's warranty is the same cost as Applecare.

Thoughts?

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Need some opinions. I was going to get Applecare for my iPhone 6s Plus, but since I "financed" through Verizon and they are offering yearly upgrades now, whats the point of paying for two years of Applecare? I don't plan on keeping the phone for two years. Its not worth it, in two years the phone won't be worth the 949 bucks that it would cost to pay it off. Might as well let Verizon eat half that and upgrade.

Yes, I am aware I can request a pro-rated refund on Applecare. If I didn't do applecare I would go without an accidental warranty of any kind, because to sign up for Verizon's warranty is the same cost as Applecare.

Thoughts?

I personally don't think it's worth it. I used to buy  care and stopped buying it a few versions ago. This year was the 1st time I had a catastrophic disaster. I shattered the screen on my 6. The cost for  to replace it was $115 if I had  care the cost would have been around $80 not a big enough difference considered the cost of the  care.

What really finally made me decide to stop buying  care is that I really do upgrade my iPhone every year. If I was going to keep the phone past a year I would consider it because usually at some point in the year I end up at the Genius Bar and they end up replacing my phone.

You gotta do what's right for you but I don't think it's worth it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't think it's worth it. I used to buy  care and stopped buying it a few versions ago. This year was the 1st time I had a catastrophic disaster. I shattered the screen on my 6. The cost for  to replace it was $115 if I had  care the cost would have been around $80 not a big enough difference considered the cost of the  care.

What really finally made me decide to stop buying  care is that I really do upgrade my iPhone every year. If I was going to keep the phone past a year I would consider it because usually at some point in the year I end up at the Genius Bar and they end up replacing my phone.

You gotta do what's right for you but I don't think it's worth it.

One of the great values of the iPhone upgrade program is that the cost of AppleCare is spread out over the 24 month plan. So if you upgrade after a year you're essentially only paying for the relative amount of AppleCare that you've used.

If you like annual upgrades and want AppleCare, there's really no reason to buy through a carrier.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the great values of the iPhone upgrade program is that the cost of AppleCare is spread out over the 24 month plan. So if you upgrade after a year you're essentially only paying for the relative amount of AppleCare that you've used.

If you like annual upgrades and want AppleCare, there's really no reason to buy through a carrier.

I suppose if your doing the  payment plan you don't really have a choice in the matter because it requires you to do the apple care +.

Outside of it being required with the payment plan I would only consider it if I was gonna use my phone with no case at all.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I suppose if your doing the  payment plan you don't really have a choice in the matter because it requires you to do the apple care +.

Outside of it being required with the payment plan I would only consider it if I was gonna use my phone with no case at all.

Agreed. My 6s Plus is my first phone that has had AppleCare, mainly because I tend to upgrade annually and haven't felt like paying $100 for an extended warranty on a phone I was only going to keep for a year. AppleCare is a nice piece of mind if nothing else.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. My 6s Plus is my first phone that has had AppleCare, mainly because I tend to upgrade annually and haven't felt like paying $100 for an extended warranty on a phone I was only going to keep for a year. AppleCare is a nice piece of mind if nothing else.

This year they raised the cost of  care to $129 so in my mind I think back to when I did shatter my screen and even with  care I would've had to pay to replace the screen.

The 1st year I didn't buy it I really thought very long and hard about it and even so every year when I go to buy a new phone I do consider it but ultimately opt not to.

It's definitely about the peace of mind and a personal choice.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
The Apple upgrade plan was 8-ish bucks more a month for the 128Gb 6s Plus. So if I keep the phone for a year, I'd be paying an additional 85 bucks over the year to have applecare, and an extra 170 over two years. Applecare by itself is only 130 bucks. I would still have to pay Verizon a monthly access charge for the phone on top of my bill. Im pretty sure they would charge $40 bucks a month, since they only give a discount on the monthly access if you use their payment plan.

By my math, the Apple upgrade program is quite a bit more expensive, at least for Verizon users. I'll probably just risk it for the year. I have a pretty good track record with phones. Thanks for the thoughts.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Screen replacement is a $149 fee. If I bought applecare and shattered the screen, it would be a 79 dollar "deductible", which takes us up to the 225 range. The math just doesn't make any sense to me to purchase applecare if I don't plan on keeping the the phone for two years.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The Apple upgrade plan was 8-ish bucks more a month for the 128Gb 6s Plus. So if I keep the phone for a year, I'd be paying an additional 85 bucks over the year to have applecare, and an extra 170 over two years. Applecare by itself is only 130 bucks. I would still have to pay Verizon a monthly access charge for the phone on top of my bill. Im pretty sure they would charge $40 bucks a month, since they only give a discount on the monthly access if you use their payment plan.

By my math, the Apple upgrade program is quite a bit more expensive, at least for Verizon users. I'll probably just risk it for the year. I have a pretty good track record with phones. Thanks for the thoughts.

You must be on a grandfathered plan. I just switched to Verizon last week and my monthly access was the same regardless of whether I bought through Verizon or through Apple.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Screen replacement is a $149 fee. If I bought applecare and shattered the screen, it would be a 79 dollar "deductible", which takes us up to the 225 range. The math just doesn't make any sense to me to purchase applecare if I don't plan on keeping the the phone for two years.

I've never so much as scratched a screen let alone shattered one. I'm more worried about my 2 year old son throwing it into the toilet or running it over with his tricycle. Again, it's a piece of mind thing. I'll probably never actually use my AppleCare coverage but I like knowing its there just in case. Furthermore, I like not being tied down to a single carrier. A couple of bucks a month isn't going to break my bank account.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
You must be on a grandfathered plan. I just switched to Verizon last week and my monthly access was the same regardless of whether I bought through Verizon or through Apple.

You are right, under the new plan its $20 a month regardless of where the phone came from.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple allows you to transfer the remainder of your Apple Care to a new device so there's no money wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple allows you to transfer the remainder of your Apple Care to a new device so there's no money wasted.

I don't think that's the case with the iPhone Upgrade Plan. AppleCare is built into the monthly installment payments. I hope I'm wrong though!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

You sure about that? Last year we had to cancel on one old phone - get a refund then buy for the new phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You sure about that? Last year we had to cancel on one old phone - get a refund then buy for the new phone.

I think I remember something about it being transferred to a new owner on the same device but not transferring to a new device.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Yep...the Apple Store rep that sold me my 6S Plus transferred it from my 6 Plus to the new device with no issue. He said that's part of their policy.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, I will end up getting Applecare on it tonight. Id rather be safe than sorry, and its worth the price to get Apple's customer service if anything happens to it. Worst case I can just request a refund and repurchase when I upgrade next year.

My wife of all people was the one that convinced me. Shes usually the one to save a penny whenever we can!

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
From what i read most ppl buy apple care in case they drop there phone and break the glass. When u make the calculation u need to break and replace your glass atleast 4 times before you actually start making profit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2