Today I went in to see if I could get in on apple's new payment program, and they couldn't set it up because T-mobile wouldn't allow it. I thought this program was not connected to the carriers. you have to sign up with one but otherwise from their standpoint its like you bought a phone and just connected it to their network. so I don't know why T-mobile wouldn't let me do this.

now the good news is I also preordered an iphone which I paid for in full, so I still have a brand new iphone but would have prefered to return it and take the one under the payment plan if it was possible, and be eligible next year for an upgrade without having to pay full price and sell my old phone.

I suggested we just sign up with another carrier like sprint and he said the phone I reserved was just for T-mobile so I'd have to do another reservation for a sprint phone. also it would depend on sprint's rules if I could keep them for a month and then put in my T-mobile sim card, canceling sprint or just canceling T-mobile and keeping sprint.

he made it sound like that wasn't an option. so either the apple salesman was confused or I am.

figured I'd come here for input.
    09-26-2015 01:31 AM
    There were wide reports of Tmobile having major issues with sign ups under this program across the internet...it seems like they weren't prepared for the situation, ORRRRR (a more tin foil hat look at it), they didn't want Apple stepping on their toes by superseding their own upgrade plans, so they denied new sign ups under Apple's program to get you in their store on their plans.

Either way, it seems like Tmobile dropped a few balls today...I'm sure they'll have it rectified quickly though, because their just throwing away money denying users access to their service via Apple Upgrade.
    09-26-2015 03:24 AM
    Wow. Normally, I hate ATT (I have them because they are the *only* carrier with signal at my home), but I am grateful that I had no issues with them and the Apple Upgrade Program. I just saw on another thread that a Verizon customer had the same issue.

I signed an ATT next contract in December for my 6 plus. I pre-ordered an in-store reservation and picked it up yesterday. Signed the upgrade agreement with no issues. Not only that, I went BACK today because I checked online at 8am this morning and my local store got some rose gold (the color I originally wanted but couldn't get) in. They couldn't exchange, so they returned the gold 6s plus I bought yesterday, cancelled the upgrade contract, then rang up the rose gold 6s plus as a new purchase, again, signing the upgrade agreement with no issues. Yes, I am still obligated to the ATT next contract that is less than a year old, but I'm thinking I will get enough from selling the 6 plus to pay that off.

Good luck to those having trouble. And for the first time EVER...yay for ATT, lol.
    09-26-2015 04:14 PM
    Wow. Normally, I hate ATT (I have them because they are the *only* carrier with signal at my home), but I am grateful that I had no issues with them and the Apple Upgrade Program. I just saw on another thread that a Verizon customer had the same issue.

I signed an ATT next contract in December for my 6 plus. I pre-ordered an in-store reservation and picked it up yesterday. Signed the upgrade agreement with no issues. Not only that, I went BACK today because I checked online at 8am this morning and my local store got some rose gold (the color I originally wanted but couldn't get) in. They couldn't exchange, so they returned the gold 6s plus I bought yesterday, cancelled the upgrade contract, then rang up the rose gold 6s plus as a new purchase, again, signing the upgrade agreement with no issues. Yes, I am still obligated to the ATT next contract that is less than a year old, but I'm thinking I will get enough from selling the 6 plus to pay that off.

Good luck to those having trouble. And for the first time EVER...yay for ATT, lol.
    I had no issue with the program through At&t as well. Do you know of the At&t phone we received is unlock since we did the upgrade program?
    09-27-2015 04:24 AM
    I had no issue with the program through At&t as well. Do you know of the At&t phone we received is unlock since we did the upgrade program?
    Oh you know, I didn't even ask. Since me changing networks is non-issue, it didn't cross my mind. It's a bit confusing though...it's advertised as an unlocked phone, but they definitely matched it to a carrier (going further than just GSM or CDMA). I do wonder now that you mention it. I will try and find out...
    09-27-2015 09:13 AM
    Oh you know, I didn't even ask. Since me changing networks is non-issue, it didn't cross my mind. It's a bit confusing though...it's advertised as an unlocked phone, but they definitely matched it to a carrier (going further than just GSM or CDMA). I do wonder now that you mention it. I will try and find out...
    Exactly which is why I'm confused. They gave me an AT&T iPhone. Not that I really need it to be unlock but it's good to know if it is. My folks will be over today and they have T-Mobile iPhones. I will try their SIM card and let you know my findings.
    bailbrae likes this.
    09-27-2015 12:10 PM
    Hi the phone is unlocked! I tried it with a T-Mobile sim with no issues at all.
    bailbrae likes this.
    09-27-2015 03:58 PM
    Hi the phone is unlocked! I tried it with a T-Mobile sim with no issues at all.
    Cool! Thanks for letting us know.
    09-27-2015 04:03 PM
    I ended up buying the phone outright but it was an AT&T phone. After I activated it I used the AT&T on line unlock tool to unlock it.
    09-27-2015 10:46 PM
    T-mobile and AT&T both use GSM phones. I wonder if I can get an AT&T phone, then once approved, and I get the phone home, cancel my AT&T account, and switch the phone over to my T-mobile account. I can deal with paying the first and only months bill with AT&T, so long as I wouldn't be penalized in any other way.
    09-27-2015 11:20 PM