How is this not being covered here?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The purpose of this attack was to make it possible for users of two iOS jailbreak tweaks to download applications from the official App Store and make in-app purchases without actually paying. Jailbreak tweaks are software packages that allow users to perform actions that aren?t typically possible on iOS.
These two tweaks will hijack app purchase requests, download stolen accounts or purchase receipts from the C2 server, then emulate the iTunes protocol to log in to Apple?s server and purchase apps or other items requested by users.

That's exactly why it's not news on iMore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it is from downloading pirated software then the proper headline should be "Those pirating iPhone software get a taste of their own medicine". Or more responsible "After recent accounts hijacked phone users may want to consider risks of installing pirated software"
Exactly this! ↑↑↑

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This entire post you go through and point out that this is not even worth mentioning yet go on to tell us to go research why this is dangerous? You tell me that I am not making "logical sense" yet you continue to put out logical fallacies. iMore claims to be "The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple!" yet this is not fair game? Even when it is being reported on the news?

It is a sad sight when you see people arguing to keep people in ignorance.

A demeaning name? LOL! Are you reading a post that isn't there or something?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem because no where in my post did I tell you to research why this was dangerous...I told you to go research the difference between this hack and the normal jailbreaking process, because you and a few others make it blatantly obvious you don't know the difference...at all.

Nothing I posted was a "logical fallacy"...I pointed you in an appropriate direction, and you want to continue on this strange agenda of thinking this is being "covered up" or that it is some kind of lack luster reporting on iMore's behalf. This is common sense for god's sake! You sit here and cry on and on about how iMore should at least report something about this, but the entire situation is relevant to a group of people who, all things considered, were playing with fire and got burned. They were using software to gain access to pirated material...no different than downloading stuff on Pirate Bay and ending up with a computer virus.

I guess iMore should report on that too now that I mention it...LOL!

The act of jailbreaking an iPhone is not dangerous at all...just like the act of owning a gun is not dangerous at all. What you do with it afterwards is totally within your own control, and if you do something dumb (or potentially dumb), you run the obvious risk of facing a bad situation.

You are flat out wrong and uneducated on the subject if you think this kind of hack is something every jailbreaker faces simply by jailbreaking their device...which is why I told you to research the stuff at the end because you obviously don't have a clue what you're clamoring on about, and it's actually pretty hilarious to read. Nobody is keeping anyone in ignorance...you are simply choosing to remain in it yourself...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles.

Then you say this...

How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral.

:rotfl:

Do you understand what the term "sensationalism" means? Do you not see how the two things I quoted from you are so incredibly hypocritical? "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" is generic and vague to represent that it targets general jailbreakers as a whole, when that isn't true at all. A more appropriate title would be...

"A small % of iOS jailbreakers, who were attempting to use pirating software, were hacked..."

...in other news, the sky is blue, dinosaurs are extinct and water...it's wet!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Then you say this...

:rotfl:

Do you understand what the term "sensationalism" means? Do you not see how the two things I quoted from you are so incredibly hypocritical? "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" is generic and vague to represent that it targets general jailbreakers as a whole, when that isn't true at all. A more appropriate title would be...

"A small % of iOS jailbreakers, who were attempting to use pirating software, were hacked..."

...in other news, the sky is blue, dinosaurs are extinct and water...it's wet!

I don't disagree with your theme but it seems it affects quite a significant number of JBs.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree with your theme but it seems it affects quite a significant number of JBs.

In 2013, it was reported that 7million+ users were jailbreaking their device. If we were to simply refer to that number, the reported number of affected jailbreakers is around 3%. That is a small %.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
And really the Jailbreakers that were hacked were thieves. They were stealing paid apps. Why don't we start a new forum section for criminals then we can post about all the digital criminals :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Rene's rants are 100% editorial- his opinion. Sometimes in reaction to news but never as a reporting of the news.

That right there is what people should understand. iMore has shifted from being reporters of news to editorial pieces and how-to's. I think the last time iMore brought on some really big news to the internet was when they got the date for the iPhone 5 event correct in which they got from sources. It has changed dramatically since then. Heck, they're writing books on how to use Apple Music.

OP, this isn't the place to come to for reporting on something that doesn't even put a small scratch on iPhone users, let alone the jailbreak community. And if you want Rene to have an opinion piece on it, what exactly are you looking for him to say? He's going to state the obvious.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
In 2013, it was reported that 7million+ users were jailbreaking their device. If we were to simply refer to that number, the reported number of affected jailbreakers is around 3%. That is a small %.

I would suggest that number has dropped a lot since 7 and 8. It's getting to be more of a pain and many of the so called 'missing features' is getting smaller. 225,000 pirates stealing apps that got hacked is a big # to me. I like to think that app piracy is a problem for other platforms. But this is a decent #.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
225,000 pirates stealing apps that got hacked is a big # to me. I like to think that app piracy is a problem for other platforms. But this is a decent #.
In the universe of total iPhone users it's nothing more than a thimble of sand is to the Sahara.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
To be honest. you have to try pretty hard (or just be looking to steal any software that you can get your hands on) to get this malware. And again, in all honesty, if you're stealing software, you deserve to be infected. Period. No warning would be sufficient to stop that behavior.

No matter how many times you repeat your mantra, it's simply not true.

This is a Red Herring. I have zero idea how you went from what I said to what you did other than to distract the topic at hand.

It's not a red herring. You previously stated that jailbroken devices were all being hacked. My response was simply that those who were affected by the issue you are trying to raise as mainstream were all involved with pirating iOS software via the jailbreak process - using repositories that were extremely dubious at best, and downright criminal - the purpose of their existence was to share warez and other pirate booty.

Climb down off your high horse and view the entire situation in perspective.

claustin

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is a non-issue. Pirates reap what they sow. This doesn't effect 99% of iOS users, and only effects dirty pirates among jailbreak users, which, depending on how many jailbreakers you think are out there, is either a small percentage to a modest chunk. You steal apps, you get what's coming to you. I'll be jailbreaking my iOS 9 devices as soon as possible, but I won't be stealing apps or installing shady repos, so I'm not worried about it. To somehow think that iMore is glossing this "news" over is laughable.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just can't see articles like this on iMore. At least they are not misleading headlines at this point.

2281d3db6bc1a91b9cae1e818db1ae7a.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest that number has dropped a lot since 7 and 8. It's getting to be more of a pain and many of the so called 'missing features' is getting smaller. 225,000 pirates stealing apps that got hacked is a big # to me. I like to think that app piracy is a problem for other platforms. But this is a decent #.

It may have dropped...in fact, I'd say that is a pretty logical assumption given the amount of features added to iOS natively that people regularly jailbroke their devices for. That said, even if it dropped to half of that (which I doubt), the number is still insignificant when looking at total %'s. I mean you could say 100 users is a big number to you...it doesn't make it generally accurate when comparing totals vs. those affected. If the number was even 20-25%, I'd just back away from this discussion entirely (in terms of what me and you are debating), but it's not even close. It is factually a tiny % of jailbreakers...

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It may have dropped...in fact, I'd say that is a pretty logical assumption given the amount of features added to iOS natively that people regularly jailbroke their devices for. That said, even if it dropped to half of that (which I doubt), the number is still insignificant when looking at total %'s. I mean you could say 100 users is a big number to you...it doesn't make it generally accurate when comparing totals vs. those affected. If the number was even 20-25%, I'd just back away from this discussion entirely (in terms of what me and you are debating), but it's not even close. It is factually a tiny % of jailbreakers...

If I say 100 is a lot, you are free to call me out. I couldn't defend that.

6% isn't really the important #. 225,000 is a real #. There is no speculation and it is a big hit.

I am curious to how much of this type of MalWare is on Android. It is easier to rip off an app on android and basically remove barriers for install to anyone. I wonder if that makes Android less of a target since broken apps are easier to get - side loading ok etc. I would think Jailbreak would be more prevalent on Android in general.

I heard once awhile back that a paid Android app is download by 7+ times for every 1 paid. Cudo's to Apple for their system.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If I say 100 is a lot, you are free to call me out. I couldn't defend that.

6% isn't really the important #. 225,000 is a real #. There is no speculation and it is a big hit.

You're telling me that the % isn't the really important number here only because it shows the reality of how small the amount of people affected was...you're stuck on 225,000 because without context, it seems like some incredibly high number, but the reality of it is, it isn't.