It is not FUD at all. This story shows those users that jailbreaking is not as safe as their years of experience has shown. It is news and should be reported regardless of the percentage of the population. Jailbreakers are Apple users and part of the Apple community. This is not a non-issue. If anything this will show people that the risks are very real and to make intelligent and safe choices

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk
    The FUD is only that every headline reports "Apple users hacked". This doesn't have the same pizazz "Users Who Circumvented Apple default security hacked".

I agree this would be useful "IPhone jailbreak users may want to reconsider safety after recent hack".
    09-02-2015 07:55 PM
    Rene's rants are 100% editorial- his opinion. Sometimes in reaction to news but never as a reporting of the news.

I'll buy anyone a pizza if they can produce an example of Rene, link baiting on by reporting negative news about something that affected Samsung users. Something like: "Samsung users compromised by hackers" etc.

It just doesn't happen. He may respond to comparisons between the companies or about his opinion about design choices. And he will reluctantly respond to Apple FUD when it is big enough to try to add his perspective on it. But he never puts out pure competitor FUD as link bait.

IMore just doesn't do that. Unapologetic fans of Apple - sure. But no link bait.

And they never have an agenda to spread fear about a competitor with the intention of harming their reputation or stock price.
    Just_Me_D, GregoriusM and iOS Gino like this.
    09-02-2015 08:09 PM
    It is not FUD at all. This story shows those users that jailbreaking is not as safe as their years of experience has shown. It is news and should be reported regardless of the percentage of the population. Jailbreakers are Apple users and part of the Apple community. This is not a non-issue. If anything this will show people that the risks are very real and to make intelligent and safe choices

Exactly I really feel like it should have been put out since this is a apple community sure jail breaking might not be as big here but still would be nice if they put it out and give info on what to do
    GregoriusM likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:12 PM
    Exactly I really feel like it should have been put out since this is a apple community sure jail breaking might not be as big here but still would be nice if they put it out and give info on what to do
    Here's the problem: the article is filled with inaccuracies that show the reporter really doesn't understand the conversation. I've seen a few of these articles today and they all cite things that simply don't make sense. I have no idea who the "hacked" individuals are.

It's a bit adorable people in this thread are calling jailbreaking "stupid" as a result of this. These are the same types of people that feel secure handing their credit card to a waiter and watching it walk away. Everyone is aware there is risk in most actions. Virtually everyone is able to be hacked. If that makes one stupid, it includes all of us.

If there's any reporting that makes sense and gets into this story, by all means it should be put out there. So far, the reporting is along the lines of "hackers are able to get information because phones are gold." That's not worthwhile for anyone to read.
    jnew619 likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:12 PM

That doesn't make any sense at all bud...your logic is reliant on the idea that ANY iPhone that is jailbroken can be subject to this kind of attack and hack, and that simply isn't true...you have to do very specific things to even be opened up to the keyraider hack...and most of that comes from pirated junk from China, stuff people shouldn't be messing with in the first place, even jailbreakers.

This is essentially like being up in arms that websites aren't reporting every day that sticking your finger in an electrical socket is dangerous and what CAN happen if you do it...I mean thousands and thousands of people do it every day, but reporting on it is redundant and teeters on the line of common sense.

Jailbreaking your device is not risky...it's a very cut and dry process. What you do after you jailbreak your device can be perfectly safe...or...absolutely idiotic and dangerous. iMore shouldn't have to point out to people how jailbreaking your device and trying to use pirated software to obtain more illegal crap can be dangerous...just like the news shouldn't have to point out that shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun can be fatal.

It'd be nice if the few of you who are clamoring on about how 'dangerous' jailbreaking can be would go and research the difference between those who do simple jailbreaking and what these morons did that got hacked. Maybe then you'd understand why you didn't have this major alert blog warning post from iMore.
    09-02-2015 11:32 PM
    Once I got third party keyboards, I was set.

Now to post about the hack, I think I'd read the majority were Chinese jailbreakers?

Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!
    09-03-2015 12:33 AM
    No, it was a tweak from a Chinese repo.
    09-03-2015 12:35 AM
    The FUD is only that every headline reports "Apple users hacked". This doesn't have the same pizazz "Users Who Circumvented Apple default security hacked".

I agree this would be useful "IPhone jailbreak users may want to reconsider safety after recent hack".
    I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles. How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral. I know many here pick and choose which information to digest but something of this magnitude SHOULD be reported especially since this site does have a jailbreaking forum

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-03-2015 12:35 AM
    I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles. How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral. I know many here pick and choose which information to digest but something of this magnitude SHOULD be reported especially since this site does have a jailbreaking forum

To be honest. you have to try pretty hard (or just be looking to steal any software that you can get your hands on) to get this malware. And again, in all honesty, if you're stealing software, you deserve to be infected. Period. No warning would be sufficient to stop that behavior.

No matter how many times you repeat your mantra, it's simply not true.
    09-03-2015 12:41 AM
    That doesn't make any sense at all bud...your logic is reliant on the idea that ANY iPhone that is jailbroken can be subject to this kind of attack and hack, and that simply isn't true...you have to do very specific things to even be opened up to the keyraider hack...and most of that comes from pirated junk from China, stuff people shouldn't be messing with in the first place, even jailbreakers.

First of all, do not call people demeaning names to take away their credibility. Stop with the ad hominem attacks.

Jailbreaking requires a security hole to exploit to get that jailbreak. ALL jailbreaking is inherently dangerous. You install applications NOT checked by apple and hence can have information mining capabilities. iMore has the opportunity to remedy this ignorance, just like the bending crap. You may think this is a non-issue but not every iPhone user is a techie.

This is essentially like being up in arms that websites aren't reporting every day that sticking your finger in an electrical socket is dangerous and what CAN happen if you do it...I mean thousands and thousands of people do it every day, but reporting on it is redundant and teeters on the line of common sense.

This is a false analogy.

Jailbreaking your device is not risky...it's a very cut and dry process. What you do after you jailbreak your device can be perfectly safe...or...absolutely idiotic and dangerous. iMore shouldn't have to point out to people how jailbreaking your device and trying to use pirated software to obtain more illegal crap can be dangerous...just like the news shouldn't have to point out that shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun can be fatal.

If jailbreaking is not risky then Apple should be ok with it, no? The second sentence you then completely contradict yourself. iMore has a separate forum for jailbreaking and hence indirectly support it. As for the last sentence, again, stop with the false analogy fallacies.

It'd be nice if the few of you who are clamoring on about how 'dangerous' jailbreaking can be would go and research the difference between those who do simple jailbreaking and what these morons did that got hacked. Maybe then you'd understand why you didn't have this major alert blog warning post from iMore.
    This entire post you go through and point out that this is not even worth mentioning yet go on to tell us to go research why this is dangerous? You tell me that I am not making "logical sense" yet you continue to put out logical fallacies. iMore claims to be "The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple!" yet this is not fair game? Even when it is being reported on the news?

It is a sad sight when you see people arguing to keep people in ignorance.
    09-03-2015 01:15 AM
    To be honest. you have to try pretty hard (or just be looking to steal any software that you can get your hands on) to get this malware. And again, in all honesty, if you're stealing software, you deserve to be infected. Period. No warning would be sufficient to stop that behavior.

No matter how many times you repeat your mantra, it's simply not true.
    This is a Red Herring. I have zero idea how you went from what I said to what you did other than to distract the topic at hand.

Since iMore cannot be trusted with news sources, for those that care:

KeyRaider: iOS Malware Steals Over 225,000 Apple Accounts to Create Free App Utopia - Palo Alto Networks BlogPalo Alto Networks Blog

"KeyRaider targets jailbroken iOS devices and is distributed through third-party Cydia repositories in China. In total, it appears this threat may have impacted users from 18 countries including China, France, Russia, Japan, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Germany, Australia, Israel, Italy, Spain, Singapore, and South Korea.
    The malware hooks system processes through MobileSubstrate, and steals Apple account usernames, passwords and device GUID by intercepting iTunes traffic on the device. KeyRaider steals Apple push notification service certificates and private keys, steals and shares App Store purchasing information, and disables local and remote unlocking functionalities on iPhones and iPads.
    KeyRaider has successfully stolen over 225,000 valid Apple accounts and thousands of certificates, private keys, and purchasing receipts. The malware uploads stolen data to its command and control (C2) server, which itself contains vulnerabilities that expose user information.
    The purpose of this attack was to make it possible for users of two iOS jailbreak tweaks to download applications from the official App Store and make in-app purchases without actually paying. Jailbreak tweaks are software packages that allow users to perform actions that arent typically possible on iOS.
    These two tweaks will hijack app purchase requests, download stolen accounts or purchase receipts from the C2 server, then emulate the iTunes protocol to log in to Apples server and purchase apps or other items requested by users. The tweaks have been downloaded over 20,000 times, which suggests around 20,000 users are abusing the 225,000 stolen credentials.
    Some victims have reported that their stolen Apple accounts show abnormal app purchasing history and others state that their phones have been held for ransom.
    Palo Alto Networks and WeipTech have provided services to detect the KeyRaider malware and identify stolen credentials. In the remainder of this blog, we provide details about the malware and the attacks.
    "
    09-03-2015 01:29 AM
    Since iMore cannot be trusted with news sources, for those that care:
    Oh please ...
    GregoriusM likes this.
    09-03-2015 01:59 AM
    man! These $700 billion glasses make things look great!
    09-03-2015 07:34 AM
    What does that mean?
    09-03-2015 07:58 AM

Sounds reasonable. Posters have called iMore or Rene hypocritical and untrustworthy for not reporting. That's just not true.

I would like to know the name of the repo and whether or not it had pirated software.

If it is from downloading pirated software then the proper headline should be "Those pirating iPhone software get a taste of their own medicine". Or more responsible "After recent accounts hijacked phone users may want to consider risks of installing pirated software"
    09-03-2015 08:17 AM
    The purpose of this attack was to make it possible for users of two iOS jailbreak tweaks to download applications from the official App Store and make in-app purchases without actually paying. Jailbreak tweaks are software packages that allow users to perform actions that arent typically possible on iOS.
    These two tweaks will hijack app purchase requests, download stolen accounts or purchase receipts from the C2 server, then emulate the iTunes protocol to log in to Apples server and purchase apps or other items requested by users.
    That's exactly why it's not news on iMore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GregoriusM likes this.
    09-03-2015 08:26 AM
    What does that mean?
    An oblique "Apple rose colored glasses" card being played by an Apple basher. Ignore...
    09-03-2015 08:58 AM
    If it is from downloading pirated software then the proper headline should be "Those pirating iPhone software get a taste of their own medicine". Or more responsible "After recent accounts hijacked phone users may want to consider risks of installing pirated software"
    Exactly this! ↑↑↑
    09-03-2015 10:01 AM
    This entire post you go through and point out that this is not even worth mentioning yet go on to tell us to go research why this is dangerous? You tell me that I am not making "logical sense" yet you continue to put out logical fallacies. iMore claims to be "The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple!" yet this is not fair game? Even when it is being reported on the news?

It is a sad sight when you see people arguing to keep people in ignorance.
    A demeaning name? LOL! Are you reading a post that isn't there or something?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem because no where in my post did I tell you to research why this was dangerous...I told you to go research the difference between this hack and the normal jailbreaking process, because you and a few others make it blatantly obvious you don't know the difference...at all.

Nothing I posted was a "logical fallacy"...I pointed you in an appropriate direction, and you want to continue on this strange agenda of thinking this is being "covered up" or that it is some kind of lack luster reporting on iMore's behalf. This is common sense for god's sake! You sit here and cry on and on about how iMore should at least report something about this, but the entire situation is relevant to a group of people who, all things considered, were playing with fire and got burned. They were using software to gain access to pirated material...no different than downloading stuff on Pirate Bay and ending up with a computer virus.

I guess iMore should report on that too now that I mention it...LOL!

The act of jailbreaking an iPhone is not dangerous at all...just like the act of owning a gun is not dangerous at all. What you do with it afterwards is totally within your own control, and if you do something dumb (or potentially dumb), you run the obvious risk of facing a bad situation.

You are flat out wrong and uneducated on the subject if you think this kind of hack is something every jailbreaker faces simply by jailbreaking their device...which is why I told you to research the stuff at the end because you obviously don't have a clue what you're clamoring on about, and it's actually pretty hilarious to read. Nobody is keeping anyone in ignorance...you are simply choosing to remain in it yourself...
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    09-03-2015 11:15 AM
    I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles.
    Then you say this...

How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral.

Do you understand what the term "sensationalism" means? Do you not see how the two things I quoted from you are so incredibly hypocritical? "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" is generic and vague to represent that it targets general jailbreakers as a whole, when that isn't true at all. A more appropriate title would be...

"A small % of iOS jailbreakers, who were attempting to use pirating software, were hacked..."

...in other news, the sky is blue, dinosaurs are extinct and water...it's wet!
    GregoriusM likes this.
    09-03-2015 11:23 AM
    Then you say this...

Do you understand what the term "sensationalism" means? Do you not see how the two things I quoted from you are so incredibly hypocritical? "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" is generic and vague to represent that it targets general jailbreakers as a whole, when that isn't true at all. A more appropriate title would be...

"A small % of iOS jailbreakers, who were attempting to use pirating software, were hacked..."

...in other news, the sky is blue, dinosaurs are extinct and water...it's wet!
    I don't disagree with your theme but it seems it affects quite a significant number of JBs.
    09-03-2015 11:35 AM
    I don't disagree with your theme but it seems it affects quite a significant number of JBs.
    In 2013, it was reported that 7million+ users were jailbreaking their device. If we were to simply refer to that number, the reported number of affected jailbreakers is around 3%. That is a small %.
    09-03-2015 12:16 PM
    And really the Jailbreakers that were hacked were thieves. They were stealing paid apps. Why don't we start a new forum section for criminals then we can post about all the digital criminals
    09-03-2015 01:00 PM
    Rene's rants are 100% editorial- his opinion. Sometimes in reaction to news but never as a reporting of the news.
    That right there is what people should understand. iMore has shifted from being reporters of news to editorial pieces and how-to's. I think the last time iMore brought on some really big news to the internet was when they got the date for the iPhone 5 event correct in which they got from sources. It has changed dramatically since then. Heck, they're writing books on how to use Apple Music.

OP, this isn't the place to come to for reporting on something that doesn't even put a small scratch on iPhone users, let alone the jailbreak community. And if you want Rene to have an opinion piece on it, what exactly are you looking for him to say? He's going to state the obvious.
    09-03-2015 01:05 PM
    In 2013, it was reported that 7million+ users were jailbreaking their device. If we were to simply refer to that number, the reported number of affected jailbreakers is around 3%. That is a small %.
    I would suggest that number has dropped a lot since 7 and 8. It's getting to be more of a pain and many of the so called 'missing features' is getting smaller. 225,000 pirates stealing apps that got hacked is a big # to me. I like to think that app piracy is a problem for other platforms. But this is a decent #.
    09-03-2015 01:28 PM
66 123