How is this not being covered here?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't need that drama of getting hacked for account information over JB'd iPhone. Fuzz That. When they come up with a tweak that will make Megan Fox appear in my house then I'll take a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Soooo how do you know if you've been hacked when I was jailbroken i only downloaded a couple hacks no pirating but still...
Also I do agree on asking why this has not been covered here when I first joined here jail breaking was a huge topic here so little talked about now..

If that was the intent of the thread that would be fine. It seems the OP really wants to vent that NOT posting about it is hypocritical. That's not nearly as interesting a topic for me.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It is not FUD at all. This story shows those users that jailbreaking is not as safe as their years of experience has shown. It is news and should be reported regardless of the percentage of the population. Jailbreakers are Apple users and part of the Apple community. This is not a non-issue. If anything this will show people that the risks are very real and to make intelligent and safe choices

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It is not FUD at all. This story shows those users that jailbreaking is not as safe as their years of experience has shown. It is news and should be reported regardless of the percentage of the population. Jailbreakers are Apple users and part of the Apple community. This is not a non-issue. If anything this will show people that the risks are very real and to make intelligent and safe choices

The FUD is only that every headline reports "Apple users hacked". This doesn't have the same pizazz "Users Who Circumvented Apple default security hacked".

I agree this would be useful "IPhone jailbreak users may want to reconsider safety after recent hack".

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Rene's rants are 100% editorial- his opinion. Sometimes in reaction to news but never as a reporting of the news.

I'll buy anyone a pizza if they can produce an example of Rene, link baiting on by reporting negative news about something that affected Samsung users. Something like: "Samsung users compromised by hackers" etc.

It just doesn't happen. He may respond to comparisons between the companies or about his opinion about design choices. And he will reluctantly respond to Apple FUD when it is big enough to try to add his perspective on it. But he never puts out pure competitor FUD as link bait.

IMore just doesn't do that. Unapologetic fans of Apple - sure. But no link bait.

And they never have an agenda to spread fear about a competitor with the intention of harming their reputation or stock price.

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Exactly I really feel like it should have been put out since this is a apple community sure jail breaking might not be as big here but still would be nice if they put it out and give info on what to do

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Exactly I really feel like it should have been put out since this is a apple community sure jail breaking might not be as big here but still would be nice if they put it out and give info on what to do

Here's the problem: the article is filled with inaccuracies that show the reporter really doesn't understand the conversation. I've seen a few of these articles today and they all cite things that simply don't make sense. I have no idea who the "hacked" individuals are.

It's a bit adorable people in this thread are calling jailbreaking "stupid" as a result of this. These are the same types of people that feel secure handing their credit card to a waiter and watching it walk away. Everyone is aware there is risk in most actions. Virtually everyone is able to be hacked. If that makes one stupid, it includes all of us.

If there's any reporting that makes sense and gets into this story, by all means it should be put out there. So far, the reporting is along the lines of "hackers are able to get information because phones are gold." That's not worthwhile for anyone to read.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

That doesn't make any sense at all bud...your logic is reliant on the idea that ANY iPhone that is jailbroken can be subject to this kind of attack and hack, and that simply isn't true...you have to do very specific things to even be opened up to the keyraider hack...and most of that comes from pirated junk from China, stuff people shouldn't be messing with in the first place, even jailbreakers.

This is essentially like being up in arms that websites aren't reporting every day that sticking your finger in an electrical socket is dangerous and what CAN happen if you do it...I mean thousands and thousands of people do it every day, but reporting on it is redundant and teeters on the line of common sense.

Jailbreaking your device is not risky...it's a very cut and dry process. What you do after you jailbreak your device can be perfectly safe...or...absolutely idiotic and dangerous. iMore shouldn't have to point out to people how jailbreaking your device and trying to use pirated software to obtain more illegal crap can be dangerous...just like the news shouldn't have to point out that shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun can be fatal.

It'd be nice if the few of you who are clamoring on about how 'dangerous' jailbreaking can be would go and research the difference between those who do simple jailbreaking and what these morons did that got hacked. Maybe then you'd understand why you didn't have this major alert blog warning post from iMore.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Once I got third party keyboards, I was set.

Now to post about the hack, I think I'd read the majority were Chinese jailbreakers?

Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The FUD is only that every headline reports "Apple users hacked". This doesn't have the same pizazz "Users Who Circumvented Apple default security hacked".

I agree this would be useful "IPhone jailbreak users may want to reconsider safety after recent hack".
I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles. How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral. I know many here pick and choose which information to digest but something of this magnitude SHOULD be reported especially since this site does have a jailbreaking forum

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I do not agree with sensationalist headlines. I agree that if Renee expects iMore to be a reliable source of news, he should report headlines sans sensationalist titles. How about "iOS jailbreakers experience hacked information" or something informational neutral. I know many here pick and choose which information to digest but something of this magnitude SHOULD be reported especially since this site does have a jailbreaking forum

To be honest. you have to try pretty hard (or just be looking to steal any software that you can get your hands on) to get this malware. And again, in all honesty, if you're stealing software, you deserve to be infected. Period. No warning would be sufficient to stop that behavior.

No matter how many times you repeat your mantra, it's simply not true.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't make any sense at all bud...your logic is reliant on the idea that ANY iPhone that is jailbroken can be subject to this kind of attack and hack, and that simply isn't true...you have to do very specific things to even be opened up to the keyraider hack...and most of that comes from pirated junk from China, stuff people shouldn't be messing with in the first place, even jailbreakers.

First of all, do not call people demeaning names to take away their credibility. Stop with the ad hominem attacks.

Jailbreaking requires a security hole to exploit to get that jailbreak. ALL jailbreaking is inherently dangerous. You install applications NOT checked by apple and hence can have information mining capabilities. iMore has the opportunity to remedy this ignorance, just like the bending crap. You may think this is a non-issue but not every iPhone user is a techie.

This is essentially like being up in arms that websites aren't reporting every day that sticking your finger in an electrical socket is dangerous and what CAN happen if you do it...I mean thousands and thousands of people do it every day, but reporting on it is redundant and teeters on the line of common sense.

This is a false analogy.

Jailbreaking your device is not risky...it's a very cut and dry process. What you do after you jailbreak your device can be perfectly safe...or...absolutely idiotic and dangerous. iMore shouldn't have to point out to people how jailbreaking your device and trying to use pirated software to obtain more illegal crap can be dangerous...just like the news shouldn't have to point out that shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun can be fatal.

If jailbreaking is not risky then Apple should be ok with it, no? The second sentence you then completely contradict yourself. iMore has a separate forum for jailbreaking and hence indirectly support it. As for the last sentence, again, stop with the false analogy fallacies.

It'd be nice if the few of you who are clamoring on about how 'dangerous' jailbreaking can be would go and research the difference between those who do simple jailbreaking and what these morons did that got hacked. Maybe then you'd understand why you didn't have this major alert blog warning post from iMore.

This entire post you go through and point out that this is not even worth mentioning yet go on to tell us to go research why this is dangerous? You tell me that I am not making "logical sense" yet you continue to put out logical fallacies. iMore claims to be "The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple!" yet this is not fair game? Even when it is being reported on the news?

It is a sad sight when you see people arguing to keep people in ignorance.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
To be honest. you have to try pretty hard (or just be looking to steal any software that you can get your hands on) to get this malware. And again, in all honesty, if you're stealing software, you deserve to be infected. Period. No warning would be sufficient to stop that behavior.

No matter how many times you repeat your mantra, it's simply not true.

This is a Red Herring. I have zero idea how you went from what I said to what you did other than to distract the topic at hand.

Since iMore cannot be trusted with news sources, for those that care:

KeyRaider: iOS Malware Steals Over 225,000 Apple Accounts to Create Free App Utopia - Palo Alto Networks BlogPalo Alto Networks Blog

"KeyRaider targets jailbroken iOS devices and is distributed through third-party Cydia repositories in China. In total, it appears this threat may have impacted users from 18 countries including China, France, Russia, Japan, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Germany, Australia, Israel, Italy, Spain, Singapore, and South Korea.
The malware hooks system processes through MobileSubstrate, and steals Apple account usernames, passwords and device GUID by intercepting iTunes traffic on the device. KeyRaider steals Apple push notification service certificates and private keys, steals and shares App Store purchasing information, and disables local and remote unlocking functionalities on iPhones and iPads.
KeyRaider has successfully stolen over 225,000 valid Apple accounts and thousands of certificates, private keys, and purchasing receipts. The malware uploads stolen data to its command and control (C2) server, which itself contains vulnerabilities that expose user information.
The purpose of this attack was to make it possible for users of two iOS jailbreak tweaks to download applications from the official App Store and make in-app purchases without actually paying. Jailbreak tweaks are software packages that allow users to perform actions that aren?t typically possible on iOS.
These two tweaks will hijack app purchase requests, download stolen accounts or purchase receipts from the C2 server, then emulate the iTunes protocol to log in to Apple?s server and purchase apps or other items requested by users. The tweaks have been downloaded over 20,000 times, which suggests around 20,000 users are abusing the 225,000 stolen credentials.
Some victims have reported that their stolen Apple accounts show abnormal app purchasing history and others state that their phones have been held for ransom.
Palo Alto Networks and WeipTech have provided services to detect the KeyRaider malware and identify stolen credentials. In the remainder of this blog, we provide details about the malware and the attacks.
"

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Sounds reasonable. Posters have called iMore or Rene hypocritical and untrustworthy for not reporting. That's just not true.

I would like to know the name of the repo and whether or not it had pirated software.

If it is from downloading pirated software then the proper headline should be "Those pirating iPhone software get a taste of their own medicine". Or more responsible "After recent accounts hijacked phone users may want to consider risks of installing pirated software"

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice