Do you think that Apple will finally start doing one universal model?

Akira Takamedo

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Last year with the iPad Air 2, Apple produced only one model - A1567 - with an Apple SIM that works on three of the four major U.S. carriers (AT&T's locking bull**** aside), and works with seemingly every major carrier around the world. Even Verizon, despite not compatible with the Apple SIM because Verizon will always be Verizon, is still compatible with A1567 and sells the same model just with a Verizon SIM installed instead.

The 6 and the 6 Plus basically come in two different models, three if you count the Chinese-exclusive variant. That's a huge step down from the five different 5S/5C models, plus GSM-only versions of some models in the U.S. sold with their CDMA radios disabled (AT&T and T-Mobile variants). One is kind of a watered-down version that is compatible with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and many international carriers. The other works on those plus Sprint and every other international carrier, sold from Apple as 'unlocked and SIM-free'.

There are many things speculated about the 6S/6S+ such as Band 12, 2GB RAM, all that sort of thing. So, this year, with the Air 2 having one universal model, is this finally the start of one universal iPhone? Will I be able to buy a 6S from, say, AT&T and (unlocking policies aside) use it on 3 in the UK or SoftBank in Japan, something you can't currently do with the AT&T model?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but I don't have any idea what kind of agreement they have in place with the various carriers, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice