Annual New iPhone?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it was this thread. It said somethings like 'before this kind of thing would be considered trolling' etc. paraphrasing from memory. Mentioned that this was a new user etc.

Here you go right from the horse's mouth - you even cursed LOL - (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun):

"This is a plague on iMore lately...the people who historically would have been called trolls who come on here spouting off about something they don't like but hide the trolling under the veil of "discussion". It's absolute horse sh*t...forgive my language"

I pose my question again...where did anyone call OP a troll?

That was never directed at the OP, this was a direct response to something Hank said right before it, talking about a general issue with people asking questions trying to kick up dust but hiding behind the veil of innocence.

This is another problem that forums have. People like to skim posts and then apply them how THEY see fit. Context is a hell of a thing. That post, when read in the appropriate context, is a discussion between Hank and I...and while some of what Hank said is applicable to the OP, my response was simply to Hank...yet you channeled it towards OP as some kind of attack, when it was anything but.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

That was never directed at the OP, this was a direct response to something Hank said right before it, talking about a general issue with people asking questions trying to kick up dust but hiding behind the veil of innocence.

This is another problem that forums have. People like to skim posts and then apply them how THEY see fit. Context is a hell of a thing. That post, when read in the appropriate context, is a discussion between Hank and I...and while some of what Hank said is applicable to the OP, my response was simply to Hank...yet you channeled it towards OP as some kind of attack, when it was anything but.

You mean people jump to conclusions and blow things out of proportion on forums? NO say it ain't so? lol!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As far as the OP's responses he never mentioned why Apple should deviate from a lucrative formula of releasing a iPhone every year and how it would benefit the consumer and Apple.

The only response I recall is that he felt he was being talked down to. He never counterpointed opposing opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Whether you want to believe it or not when you comment about trolling and your frustration about it following what read like arguments you are piling on the negativity to the OP.

You even cursed. I read the whole discussion. You came across as agitated with this style of posts. This isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.

This is NOT about people's tolerance level with forums. This is about a few regulars here that feel it is their job to protect the forum from a perceived threat.

Way to go! Once again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As far as the OP's responses he never mentioned why Apple should deviate from a lucrative formula of releasing a iPhone every year and how it would benefit the consumer and Apple.

The only response I recall is that he felt he was being talked down to. He never counterpointed opposing opinions.

It's because the original thought had a weak foundation. From what I surmised, he feels that the iPhone should have a 2 year release cycle because the annual releases are never really "impressive" to him (in terms of features and new functionality). He started clamoring on about how Apple was plateauing, which was odd to me because the only evidence of this he posted was an article showing a slowing of the iPhone 6 sales just before a new launch (which I thought was an obvious thing since it happens in the same way every single year...yet he failed to identify it, being the biggest self appointed "iPhone nerd" here, lol).

So basically...he has an opinion, and he applied it as a factual approach while also making asinine assumptions about Apple's yearly release success. I think you can see why you didn't get any legitimate counterpoints.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Whether you want to believe it or not when you comment about trolling and your frustration about it following what read like arguments you are piling on the negativity to the OP.

You even cursed. I read the whole discussion. You came across as agitated with this style of posts. This isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.

This is NOT about people's tolerance level with forums. This is about a few regulars here that feel it is their job to protect the forum from a perceived threat.

Way to go! Once again.

I wasn't piling on anything. I simply made a comment. If the OP took it personally (like you did, which is odd since it was irrelevant to you), then perhaps there was some truth to it applicable to OP's behavior here. And at the end of the day, it's ok to feel offended...if you run for the hills every time it happens, maybe the place where it occurred isn't right for you. I don't lose sleep over things like that...it's not my responsibility to make sure every person who is around me when I talk is ok with what I'm about to say before I say it.

There was no threat...there was simply a person who got upset that his opinion wasn't met with cheers and support. Happens all the time. Sometimes the person sticks around and becomes a part of the community...other times they get bent out of shape, throw a temper tantrum and storm off with their arms crossed. World keeps on spinning...

To address your own issues here, without the groups you keep referring to, you'd have no opportunities to ride in on your high horse in your white robe and address the masses. You should thank us white knight...job security and all.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't piling on anything. I simply made a comment. If the OP took it personally (like you did, which is odd since it was irrelevant to you), then perhaps there was some truth to it applicable to OP's behavior here. And at the end of the day, it's ok to feel offended...if you run for the hills every time it happens, maybe the place where it occurred isn't right for you. I don't lose sleep over things like that...it's not my responsibility to make sure every person who is around me when I talk is ok with what I'm about to say before I say it.

There was no threat...there was simply a person who got upset that his opinion wasn't met with cheers and support. Happens all the time. Sometimes the person sticks around and becomes a part of the community...other times they get bent out of shape, throw a temper tantrum and storm off with their arms crossed. World keeps on spinning...

To address your own issues here, without the groups you keep referring to, you'd have no opportunities to ride in on your high horse in your white robe and address the masses. You should thank us white knight...job security and all.

It's just upsetting to see new members so unwelcome so fast. This is what the 4th on in a year?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's just upsetting to see new members so unwelcome so fast. This is what the 4th on in a year?

New members join all the time and don't have any issues or drama. They become part of the community and they post often.

Why is it upsetting to you when someone comes in kicking up dust and then gets offended when the forum pushes back? Oh, that's right, because you like to be involved in the drama. If you go into someone's house and you start spouting off about what you don't like, you have to expect a relevant response. In this case, the OP didn't like that people pushed back on him...so much so that he never even brought a legitimate counter argument/point to the table.

And yet here you are trying to make the regulars seem like we're this vicious bunch of snarling dogs waiting to pounce on newbies like it's entertaining. Truth is, if we can prevent people with such short fuses and who lack the ability to entertain some banter or dialogue from speaking more bile on iMore simply by giving opposing opinion and response, all the better.

But keep riding on white knight...there's a big kingdom to protect!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
New members join all the time and don't have any issues or drama. They become part of the community and they post often.

Why is it upsetting to you when someone comes in kicking up dust and then gets offended when the forum pushes back? Oh, that's right, because you like to be involved in the drama. If you go into someone's house and you start spouting off about what you don't like, you have to expect a relevant response. In this case, the OP didn't like that people pushed back on him...so much so that he never even brought a legitimate counter argument/point to the table.

And yet here you are trying to make the regulars seem like we're this vicious bunch of snarling dogs waiting to pounce on newbies like it's entertaining. Truth is, if we can prevent people with such short fuses and who lack the ability to entertain some banter or dialogue from speaking more bile on iMore simply by giving opposing opinion and response, all the better.

But keep riding on white knight...there's a big kingdom to protect!

And you decided that you are the decider of what is bile and what is not. That's the issue. You are The Decider in Chief.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.....The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.
Feeling attacked is not the same as being attacked. He was not attacked, but his rationale was. He asked others to respond and received numerous responses.

Way to go! Once again.

It is about tolerance. It is NOT the job of regulars to protect the forum, their 'role' is to participate, whether giving advice, helping to solve problems or giving their personal opinions, especially when asked. Trying to shield people from opinions they dislike is not helping them. How can they learn new things and different viewpoints when they are only welcoming to views similar to their own? The real world is unforgiving and harsh, and not everyone you meet or every situation you're faced with will be appeasing. Put a pair of big boy and big girl pants on if you want to ask people for their opinions and thoughts so that you can deal with responses that may not be to your liking. Period.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I understand, but that doesn't mean the problem lies with the forum or its longtime members. No one wants to say that some people who join have real deep-rooted personal issues that were revealed in the forums.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I understand, but that doesn't mean the problem lies with the forum or its longtime members. No one wants to say that some people who join have real deep-rooted personal issues that were revealed in the forums.

This lack of empathy is the heart of the problem. It is obvious to you that it must be that the OPs like this must certainly have 'deep-rooted personal issues'. It can't possibly be true that maybe you were just a tad unfriendly.

I know it's hard to recognize when our own behavior could use a tweak or two but give it a try.

My flaw? Same as Sean's I presume: I like to argue. And I have a hard time keeping quiet about an issue.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This lack of empathy is the heart of the problem.
It is also quite possible that some people are a tad too sensitive or truly do have a problem with opposing views.
It is obvious to you that it must be that the OPs like this must certainly have 'deep-rooted personal issues'.
What is obvious is that some people do have deep-rooted issues that can reveal itself during conversations like this.
It can't possibly be true that maybe you were just a tad unfriendly.
I suppose, but that depends on one's viewpoint. I wasn't trying to be friendly or unfriendly, to be quite honest.

I know it's hard to recognize when our own behavior could use a tweak or two but give it a try.
Okay

My flaw? Same as Sean's I presume: I like to argue. And I have a hard time keeping quiet about an issue.
I don't like to argue, but I don't mind giving my honest opinion or pointing out something I disagree with. Still, I'm not going to go and cry about it or demand that my account be deleted just because someone disagrees with something I've stated.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll take a point from the OP's first post in this thread.
" The 5S only added Touch ID" as if it was a incremental addition.
Apple has built a book of business around Touch ID with Apple Pay which seems to be very lucrative for them. So Touch ID is not such a incremental addition. Not my opinion but fact based all of the financial institutions that are on board.
So did the OP think out what he posted?
Don't blame the folks that responded with well thought out opinions based on fact and Apple's successful business model.
If the OP thinks a certain direction is better than what Apple does explain it champion your point as to why it's better.
If he felt like a "*****" (His words not mine) maybe it's because he realized he didn't think out what he posted.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My point is we are WAY WAY blowing this out of proportion! Lets all put on a big boy and big girl pants and agree to disagree and walk away as friends!

I think over all we get along pretty good! You guys were even able to accept a BB guy like me in to the fold and THAT is saying something! (Of course I DO own a iPhone, several iPads, and a Mac Book Pro, but who's counting ;) )

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And you decided that you are the decider of what is bile and what is not. That's the issue. You are The Decider in Chief.

I just call it how I see it...I don't DECIDE anything...proven by the fact that you disagree with me, therefore formulating your own opinion on it.

This lack of empathy is the heart of the problem. It is obvious to you that it must be that the OPs like this must certainly have 'deep-rooted personal issues'. It can't possibly be true that maybe you were just a tad unfriendly.

Empathy? Why would I support/share an opinion that is blatantly wrong? There's no lack of empathy here, there are just people who have very thin skin but want to participate with those who don't accommodate such. Then there's the backlash of the OP when he himself was not treated unfriendly or brash really, people just disagreed with him on different levels and spoke their opinion of the subject. Not one person attacked the OP himself personally or otherwise when he shot back with his tantrum.

I don't see my enjoyment of a good argument as a flaw...if you see yours as one, that's on you. I won't be tweaking anything because I enjoy real world discussions vs. get along gang circle jerks.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Maybe somebody needs to put on a striped shirt, blow a whistle and call a big "time out" ... then we can all sing a rousing round of kumbaya and get busy making everyone feel special. Sean, do you still have that closet full of "participation" trophies? We could give one to each of the new kids so we can get back to discussing all things Apple.

Wow.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My point is we are WAY WAY blowing this out of proportion! Lets all put on a big boy and big girl pants and agree to disagree and walk away as friends!

I think over all we get along pretty good! You guys were even able to accept a BB guy like me in to the fold and THAT is saying something! (Of course I DO own a iPhone, several iPads, and a Mac Book Pro, but who's counting ;) )

I must have missed that vote. :D

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe somebody needs to put on a striped shirt, blow a whistle and call a big "time out" ... then we can all sing a rousing round of kumbaya and get busy making everyone feel special. Sean, do you still have that closet full of "participation" trophies? We could give one to each of the new kids so we can get back to discussing all things Apple.

Wow.

Sure as soon as everyone stops labeling threads as trolling, calling it 'horse-$:$&(' and saying posters have 'deep personal issues'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh