To clarify- my panties didn't get in a wad over a difference of opinion. I was annoyed that I was talked to like I'm some ******* who knows nothing and was just talked down to with sarcasm that was uncalled for.
    08-19-2015 01:15 AM
    To clarify- my panties didn't get in a wad over a difference of opinion. I was annoyed that I was talked to like I'm some ******* who knows nothing and was just talked down to with sarcasm that was uncalled for.
    You said, "....and let me know your thoughts". Well, those thoughts were made known to you. Blunt replies are often viewed as sarcasm or as demeaning, but we often fail to know the state of mind of the person who replied at that time. He or she may have been too busy to sugarcoat the reply, but wanted to respond anyway. Besides, when you ask people to share their opinions/thoughts, be prepared to receive exactly what you 'asked for' and not what you may have been 'hoping for'.
    08-19-2015 06:50 AM
    Sarcasm is always "called for".
    08-19-2015 07:13 AM
    Well you are right, i just heard about it (i don't live in the us). In other parts of the world, it's not like that yet and we still have a choice. For me, i take my phone without any carrier but for many people it may be more convenient to go for a subsidiezed phone.

But with that system, i think people will be even less likely to change their phone every year...

That could be a threat for high end phones, especially the iPhone.
    08-19-2015 09:25 AM
    Actually, that is exactly why you got your panties in a wad. No clarification needed, its right there in the thread.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, I don't really see anything that made you look like an id*ot, nor do I see any harsh sarcasm. You very clearly got upset because people blatantly disagreed with your assessment. I mean you're welcome to your opinion just like any one else here, but I personally think your stance and views on the evolution of the iPhone is a bit asinine personally...but again, if that's your opinion of it, whatever floats your boat.

The whole plateauing thing was pretty comical, I must say.
    ultravisitor likes this.
    08-19-2015 10:54 AM
    Personally I would hate this. In honesty I think the "s" variants have been the best phones they made. The 4s was a fantastic phone, Siri was revolutionary at the time so was the camera upgrade. The 5s adding TouchID and 64bit computing changed the entire landscape of mobile phone security. Not to mention the m7 chip that debuted with 5s was great for fitness minded people.
    Lestat1886 likes this.
    08-19-2015 04:26 PM
    I would bet if you didn't have a yearly successful release you'd fall behind in buyers' minds as old tech. They stay ahead by iterating yearly. They have the best functioning devices with not technically most performant internals. As you said this is through great software. But 2 years is just too long.

You'd have to reclaim users each two year cycle. Apple knows how many phones to make each cycle. Plus think of how much money they would pass on.

People have had 2 year contracts that expire at varying times. Yearly new hardware attracts more buyers of this type then a 2 year hardware cycle would.

The article saying 6+ sales are down.. Thats FUD. With the 6s coming who wouldn't wait?

-------

As to why you got such pushback: A new user comes on and offers a FUD article as evidence Apple may not need to have yearly cycles is sure to get the hackles up of the devout.

Truth is the reaction you received is not friendly because you were labeled troll by the regulars- not my words, it's theirs above. Not a great experience and not as welcoming as they pretend the forum says it is for sure.

If you stuck around you'll find that most everyone here is great, including those above, despite strong reactions when they feel FUD is afoot.

Hope that helps.
    08-19-2015 11:09 PM
    Truth is the reaction you received is not friendly because you were labeled troll by the regulars- not my words, it's theirs above. Not a great experience and not as welcoming as they pretend the forum says it is for sure.
    Who called him a troll? Am I missing something here?
    08-19-2015 11:33 PM
    I think it was this thread. It said somethings like 'before this kind of thing would be considered trolling' etc. paraphrasing from memory. Mentioned that this was a new user etc.
    08-20-2015 12:38 AM
    Here you go right from the horse's mouth - you even cursed LOL - (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun):

"This is a plague on iMore lately...the people who historically would have been called trolls who come on here spouting off about something they don't like but hide the trolling under the veil of "discussion". It's absolute horse sh*t...forgive my language"
    08-20-2015 12:46 AM
    I respect your opinion but I think I'd lose interest if they only released every other year. I upgrade every year just because I want something new & I feel they'll lose a ton of money if they don't release something every year. Many people would grow bored plus with technology evolving as fast as it is, those internal upgrades may be a huge deciding factor in keeping folks from jumping to another platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-20-2015 08:54 AM
    I think it was this thread. It said somethings like 'before this kind of thing would be considered trolling' etc. paraphrasing from memory. Mentioned that this was a new user etc.
    Here you go right from the horse's mouth - you even cursed LOL - (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun):

"This is a plague on iMore lately...the people who historically would have been called trolls who come on here spouting off about something they don't like but hide the trolling under the veil of "discussion". It's absolute horse sh*t...forgive my language"
    I pose my question again...where did anyone call OP a troll?

That was never directed at the OP, this was a direct response to something Hank said right before it, talking about a general issue with people asking questions trying to kick up dust but hiding behind the veil of innocence.

This is another problem that forums have. People like to skim posts and then apply them how THEY see fit. Context is a hell of a thing. That post, when read in the appropriate context, is a discussion between Hank and I...and while some of what Hank said is applicable to the OP, my response was simply to Hank...yet you channeled it towards OP as some kind of attack, when it was anything but.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:01 AM

That was never directed at the OP, this was a direct response to something Hank said right before it, talking about a general issue with people asking questions trying to kick up dust but hiding behind the veil of innocence.

This is another problem that forums have. People like to skim posts and then apply them how THEY see fit. Context is a hell of a thing. That post, when read in the appropriate context, is a discussion between Hank and I...and while some of what Hank said is applicable to the OP, my response was simply to Hank...yet you channeled it towards OP as some kind of attack, when it was anything but.
    You mean people jump to conclusions and blow things out of proportion on forums? NO say it ain't so? lol!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:46 AM
    You mean people jump to conclusions and blow things out of proportion on forums? NO say it ain't so? lol!
    Right?

And for clarities sake, since that seems to be an issue on this forum...that/this response is directed at scatabrain, just so there's no confusion.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:59 AM
    As far as the OP's responses he never mentioned why Apple should deviate from a lucrative formula of releasing a iPhone every year and how it would benefit the consumer and Apple.

The only response I recall is that he felt he was being talked down to. He never counterpointed opposing opinions.

08-20-2015 11:59 AM

Whether you want to believe it or not when you comment about trolling and your frustration about it following what read like arguments you are piling on the negativity to the OP.

You even cursed. I read the whole discussion. You came across as agitated with this style of posts. This isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.

This is NOT about people's tolerance level with forums. This is about a few regulars here that feel it is their job to protect the forum from a perceived threat.

Way to go! Once again.
    08-20-2015 12:03 PM
    As far as the OP's responses he never mentioned why Apple should deviate from a lucrative formula of releasing a iPhone every year and how it would benefit the consumer and Apple.

The only response I recall is that he felt he was being talked down to. He never counterpointed opposing opinions.

It's because the original thought had a weak foundation. From what I surmised, he feels that the iPhone should have a 2 year release cycle because the annual releases are never really "impressive" to him (in terms of features and new functionality). He started clamoring on about how Apple was plateauing, which was odd to me because the only evidence of this he posted was an article showing a slowing of the iPhone 6 sales just before a new launch (which I thought was an obvious thing since it happens in the same way every single year...yet he failed to identify it, being the biggest self appointed "iPhone nerd" here, lol).

So basically...he has an opinion, and he applied it as a factual approach while also making asinine assumptions about Apple's yearly release success. I think you can see why you didn't get any legitimate counterpoints.
    08-20-2015 12:05 PM
    Whether you want to believe it or not when you comment about trolling and your frustration about it following what read like arguments you are piling on the negativity to the OP.

You even cursed. I read the whole discussion. You came across as agitated with this style of posts. This isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.

This is NOT about people's tolerance level with forums. This is about a few regulars here that feel it is their job to protect the forum from a perceived threat.

Way to go! Once again.
    I wasn't piling on anything. I simply made a comment. If the OP took it personally (like you did, which is odd since it was irrelevant to you), then perhaps there was some truth to it applicable to OP's behavior here. And at the end of the day, it's ok to feel offended...if you run for the hills every time it happens, maybe the place where it occurred isn't right for you. I don't lose sleep over things like that...it's not my responsibility to make sure every person who is around me when I talk is ok with what I'm about to say before I say it.

There was no threat...there was simply a person who got upset that his opinion wasn't met with cheers and support. Happens all the time. Sometimes the person sticks around and becomes a part of the community...other times they get bent out of shape, throw a temper tantrum and storm off with their arms crossed. World keeps on spinning...

To address your own issues here, without the groups you keep referring to, you'd have no opportunities to ride in on your high horse in your white robe and address the masses. You should thank us white knight...job security and all.
    08-20-2015 12:11 PM
    I wasn't piling on anything. I simply made a comment. If the OP took it personally (like you did, which is odd since it was irrelevant to you), then perhaps there was some truth to it applicable to OP's behavior here. And at the end of the day, it's ok to feel offended...if you run for the hills every time it happens, maybe the place where it occurred isn't right for you. I don't lose sleep over things like that...it's not my responsibility to make sure every person who is around me when I talk is ok with what I'm about to say before I say it.

There was no threat...there was simply a person who got upset that his opinion wasn't met with cheers and support. Happens all the time. Sometimes the person sticks around and becomes a part of the community...other times they get bent out of shape, throw a temper tantrum and storm off with their arms crossed. World keeps on spinning...

To address your own issues here, without the groups you keep referring to, you'd have no opportunities to ride in on your high horse in your white robe and address the masses. You should thank us white knight...job security and all.
    It's just upsetting to see new members so unwelcome so fast. This is what the 4th on in a year?
    08-20-2015 12:32 PM
    It's just upsetting to see new members so unwelcome so fast. This is what the 4th on in a year?
    New members join all the time and don't have any issues or drama. They become part of the community and they post often.

Why is it upsetting to you when someone comes in kicking up dust and then gets offended when the forum pushes back? Oh, that's right, because you like to be involved in the drama. If you go into someone's house and you start spouting off about what you don't like, you have to expect a relevant response. In this case, the OP didn't like that people pushed back on him...so much so that he never even brought a legitimate counter argument/point to the table.

And yet here you are trying to make the regulars seem like we're this vicious bunch of snarling dogs waiting to pounce on newbies like it's entertaining. Truth is, if we can prevent people with such short fuses and who lack the ability to entertain some banter or dialogue from speaking more bile on iMore simply by giving opposing opinion and response, all the better.

But keep riding on white knight...there's a big kingdom to protect!
    08-20-2015 12:41 PM
    New members join all the time and don't have any issues or drama. They become part of the community and they post often.

Why is it upsetting to you when someone comes in kicking up dust and then gets offended when the forum pushes back? Oh, that's right, because you like to be involved in the drama. If you go into someone's house and you start spouting off about what you don't like, you have to expect a relevant response. In this case, the OP didn't like that people pushed back on him...so much so that he never even brought a legitimate counter argument/point to the table.

And yet here you are trying to make the regulars seem like we're this vicious bunch of snarling dogs waiting to pounce on newbies like it's entertaining. Truth is, if we can prevent people with such short fuses and who lack the ability to entertain some banter or dialogue from speaking more bile on iMore simply by giving opposing opinion and response, all the better.

But keep riding on white knight...there's a big kingdom to protect!
    And you decided that you are the decider of what is bile and what is not. That's the issue. You are The Decider in Chief.
    08-20-2015 12:48 PM
    .....The OP felt attacked enough to ask to be removed from the forums.
    Feeling attacked is not the same as being attacked. He was not attacked, but his rationale was. He asked others to respond and received numerous responses.

Way to go! Once again.
    It is about tolerance. It is NOT the job of regulars to protect the forum, their 'role' is to participate, whether giving advice, helping to solve problems or giving their personal opinions, especially when asked. Trying to shield people from opinions they dislike is not helping them. How can they learn new things and different viewpoints when they are only welcoming to views similar to their own? The real world is unforgiving and harsh, and not everyone you meet or every situation you're faced with will be appeasing. Put a pair of big boy and big girl pants on if you want to ask people for their opinions and thoughts so that you can deal with responses that may not be to your liking. Period.
    08-20-2015 12:51 PM
    I understand, but that doesn't mean the problem lies with the forum or its longtime members. No one wants to say that some people who join have real deep-rooted personal issues that were revealed in the forums.
    08-20-2015 12:54 PM
    I understand, but that doesn't mean the problem lies with the forum or its longtime members. No one wants to say that some people who join have real deep-rooted personal issues that were revealed in the forums.
    This lack of empathy is the heart of the problem. It is obvious to you that it must be that the OPs like this must certainly have 'deep-rooted personal issues'. It can't possibly be true that maybe you were just a tad unfriendly.

I know it's hard to recognize when our own behavior could use a tweak or two but give it a try.

My flaw? Same as Sean's I presume: I like to argue. And I have a hard time keeping quiet about an issue.
    08-20-2015 01:05 PM
    This lack of empathy is the heart of the problem.
    It is also quite possible that some people are a tad too sensitive or truly do have a problem with opposing views.
    It is obvious to you that it must be that the OPs like this must certainly have 'deep-rooted personal issues'.
    What is obvious is that some people do have deep-rooted issues that can reveal itself during conversations like this.
    It can't possibly be true that maybe you were just a tad unfriendly.
    I suppose, but that depends on one's viewpoint. I wasn't trying to be friendly or unfriendly, to be quite honest.

I know it's hard to recognize when our own behavior could use a tweak or two but give it a try.
    Okay

My flaw? Same as Sean's I presume: I like to argue. And I have a hard time keeping quiet about an issue.
    I don't like to argue, but I don't mind giving my honest opinion or pointing out something I disagree with. Still, I'm not going to go and cry about it or demand that my account be deleted just because someone disagrees with something I've stated.
    08-20-2015 01:18 PM
98 1234