Possible Convert here!

eruptflail

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm a big Windows fans and I use Windows Phone (WP) as my daily driver. I don't have any problems with it at all, but I'm moving to Japan. WP doesn't have a presence in Japan and I'm not willing to get a mid-ranged/low-range phone when I use my devices so much.

So, I'm posting this in Android Central as well as here to get information on which OS I should switch to and why.

Here are the OS related things I use all the time:

Outlook email
Onedrive
Music app
Navigation apps (Here maps on WP)
Swipe-esque keyboard
Cortana-esque services for time and location based reminders and voice recognition for messaging.
Office apps

Hardware I'm used to (Do any of the iPhones have these things or good alternatives?):
Glance screen (I don't know if android has an equivalent)
Double tap to wake (or a fingerprint reader, which I think iphone 5 or higher have)
Physical camera button (preferred not required)
Capacitive or hardware buttons
Good camera hardware
4.5 inch screen (negotiable, but I don't want a phablet)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If your current phone works in Japan who cares if WP doesn't have a presence there? Am I missing something?

eruptflail

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Japan is notorious for being bad with unlocked devices. I'd rather not have the headache while I'm trying to figure out how to throw my garbage away correctly. Otherwise, you're right, I would stay with the same phone.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Most every Microsoft app is available on iOS, and they look good and perform well on iOS. The iPhone is most likely going to fill most of your needs. 4.7" screen, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, the volume up button as a camera control, and a great camera.

Now, there are some nice Android phones out there that hit a lot of those boxes, such as the Galaxy S6 (which I don't recommend because of its bad Android skin), the 2014 Moto X (I have one but the camera is not great, just average, and doesn't have a fingerprint sensor), or the HTC One M9 (which has a very poor camera in most people's opinions). The thing is, they don't hit as many as the iPhone does.

My advice would be to go to a carrier store and play with as many phones as you can to get a feel for what you might like, as you will be the one using the phone. :) Good luck! :)

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm a big Windows fans and I use Windows Phone (WP) as my daily driver. I don't have any problems with it at all, but I'm moving to Japan. WP doesn't have a presence in Japan and I'm not willing to get a mid-ranged/low-range phone when I use my devices so much.

So, I'm posting this in Android Central as well as here to get information on which OS I should switch to and why.

Here are the OS related things I use all the time:

Outlook email
Onedrive
Music app
Navigation apps (Here maps on WP)
Swipe-esque keyboard
Cortana-esque services for time and location based reminders and voice recognition for messaging.
Office apps

Hardware I'm used to (Do any of the iPhones have these things or good alternatives?):
Glance screen (I don't know if android has an equivalent)
Double tap to wake (or a fingerprint reader, which I think iphone 5 or higher have)
Physical camera button (preferred not required)
Capacitive or hardware buttons
Good camera hardware
4.5 inch screen (negotiable, but I don't want a phablet)

iPhone has all of that including Here Maps. You'll need the iPhone 6 as it's 4.7" so close to the 4.5".

Roland

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW