Adding new iPhone to AT&T contract Can I keep unlimited data?

SwitchingGranny

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been promising my little  geek granddaughter that I'd get her her 1st iPhone for her 12h birthday.
My big question is if I'll loose my unlimited data with AT&T by adding a 2nd iPhone to my plan.
You folks are the most knowledgable people I know about these kinds of questions. Can you help a Granny out?

Thank you

Martha Garrett aka SwitchingGranny

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
No you can't add her to your plan, and keep the unlimited data. You can add her to your phone plan, but she would have to have her own data plan ... Them are the rules ...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been promising my little  geek granddaughter that I'd get her her 1st iPhone for her 12h birthday.
My big question is if I'll loose my unlimited data with AT&T by adding a 2nd iPhone to my plan.
You folks are the most knowledgable people I know about these kinds of questions. Can you help a Granny out?

Thank you

Martha Garrett aka SwitchingGranny

You should be able to keep YOUR unlimited data plan, as far as I know. However, the new line that you add will require its own data plan, as Not Quite Right has stated. You could also convert to the Family Share plans where the two of you can share a fixed amount of data - as little as one GB/month up to 15 or 20 GB/month.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to keep YOUR unlimited data plan, as far as I know. However, the new line that you add will require its own data plan, as Not Quite Right has stated. You could also convert to the Family Share plans where the two of you can share a fixed amount of data - as little as one GB/month up to 15 or 20 GB/month.

That is what I did. I gave up the unlimited data and switched to Family Share 10 GB/month. The truth is, I don't miss the unlimited plan at all.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
The truth is, I don't miss the unlimited plan at all.
I fought for years to keep that Unlimited plan, when in reality I never use more than a few gigs a month ...
I have an awesome Wi-Fi network at home, and a useable one at work. Plus I'm smart enough not to watch the Lord of the Rings (Directors Cut) trilogy in HD while on LTE, so yeah ... ;-)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I fought for years to keep that Unlimited plan, when in reality I never use more than a few gigs a month ...
I have an awesome Wi-Fi network at home, and a useable one at work. Plus I'm smart enough not to watch the Lord of the Rings (Directors Cut) trilogy in HD while on LTE, so yeah ... ;-)

Meh I use anywhere between 1 gb in a month to over 20GB another month and it's pretty much at random. Even if you don't use a lot I rather have "Unlimited" with AT&T or unlimited with Verizon so I know I will never get charged fees for going over my data pool. When I was with Verizon I had the 10GB plan and few times I was at 9.5GB used.

I do watch hulu plus and Netflix on my way home from work on Sprint so it's nice to have that unlimited data plan so I can do that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk