New iPhone user. Some questions

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I recently bought an used iPhone 5 just to try Apple's ecosystem . I was before on android and I have some questions:
1)If I turn off and restart the iPhone I don't receive any notifications (apart calls and texts) from the apps. I receive notification from Facebook and other apps only after I unlock the phone. This is strange. It's an iPhone feature Or is a bug?
2)I'm currently on iOS 8.1.2 and the phone alert me an update (iOS 8.3) . Is worth upgrading?
The iPhone was locked to a network and then unlocked from the previous owner . If I upgrade to iOS 8.3 it will lock to that network again?
3)why I can't charge the phone while the phone is off? If I charge when off the phone restart.
4) why battery statics don't return to 0 after a recharge?
Thank you

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
1) Go to Settings > Notifications and make sure your apps are configured to work on the Lock Screen.

2) Yes, iOS 8.3 is a worthy upgrade.

3) That?s just the way it is.

4) See link below to read about the Battery Usage

1) yes they are configured to work with lock screen. However you might misunderstood my issue: I don't receive notification at all (from every apps but phone app and text app) until I unlock with the code the phone for the first time after a restart . After I unlock the phone I start receiving notification from mail, Facebook Whatsapp and other apps .

2) the phone will be still unlocked from any network ? I read someone's iPhone not reading SIM cards after updating

3) is better charging while on or off ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
1) yes they are configured to work with lock screen. However you might misunderstood my issue: I don't receive notification at all (from every apps but phone app and text app) until I unlock with the code the phone for the first time after a restart . After I unlock the phone I start receiving notification from mail, Facebook Whatsapp and other apps .

2) the phone will be still unlocked from any network ? I read someone's iPhone not reading SIM cards after updating

3) is better charging while on or off ?

Maybe this will help on understanding notifications. I've found that not all apps show notifications on the lock screen. That's up to the developer.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925
And
http://www.howtogeek.com/206516/how-to-manage-notifications-on-iphone-and-ipad/

It does not matter whether you charge with it on or off.

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Maybe this will help on understanding notifications. I've found that not all apps show notifications on the lock screen. That's up to the developer.

It does not matter whether you charge with it on or off.

The notifications doesn't show on lockscreed only after restart. If I unlock the phone after restart and then lock it again notification will show. Maybe is a bug of iOS 8.1

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I would try a reboot, holding in both buttons until the Apple Logo comes up. If that doesn't work then wipe the phone and restore it.

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I've never had this issue. I have a 6 Plus and a 5C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you restart your phone and you don't unlock it you still receive all your notifications?
The weird thing is that I receive notification only for calls and texts. If I want to receive notifications for all my other apps I have to unlock it with the code. This happen only after a restart. Afterward I receive all my notifications in the lock screen. Yes it's weird

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So if you restart your phone and you don't unlock it you still receive all your notifications?
The weird thing is that I receive notification only for calls and texts. If I want to receive notifications for all my other apps I have to unlock it with the code. This happen only after a restart. Afterward I receive all my notifications in the lock screen. Yes it's weird

I have a lot of apps set to notify on the lock screen. But not that many do. I think it's up to the developer to make it that way. Some do and most ( in my case) do not. I have over 130 apps. Maybe 4 or 5 show notifications on the lock screen when the phone's asleep.

Went and counted those I recall that show on lock screen. There's 8 apps not counting the stock apps. And I don't have mail, Twitter, or Facebook set for notifications. I just get a sound for mail.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is not a "bug" with iOS...what you're experiencing is lazy development of the apps notification sender (specifically related to push notifications). Most apps include some type of notification from the app for whatever reason, but only a select few actually do accurate and timely PUSH notifications (IE: Yahoo Sports for the notification center, Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio).

Apple requires apps who wish to take advantage of the notification centers ability to notify the end user to follow a strict set of guidelines so that the iPhone doesn't suffer on the battery life end of things, so many of the developers just say screw it and leave their apps with rudimentary settings for such. The end user ends up not getting these notifications because of the inefficient build of the application and the lack of effort put forth by the developer to try and optimize their app to work efficiently within Apple's eco-system.

Hopefully we'll have more and more developers actually put forth the proper effort to address this in the future...otherwise you'd just have a mess of notifications when the device was asleep that would be detrimental to the battery...you know, like you see on many Android based device where this kind of efficiency requirement doesn't exist.

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
This is not a "bug" with iOS...what you're experiencing is lazy development of the apps notification sender (specifically related to push notifications). Most apps include some type of notification from the app for whatever reason, but only a select few actually do accurate and timely PUSH notifications (IE: Yahoo Sports for the notification center, Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio).

Apple requires apps who wish to take advantage of the notification centers ability to notify the end user to follow a strict set of guidelines so that the iPhone doesn't suffer on the battery life end of things, so many of the developers just say screw it and leave their apps with rudimentary settings for such. The end user ends up not getting these notifications because of the inefficient build of the application and the lack of effort put forth by the developer to try and optimize their app to work efficiently within Apple's eco-system.

Hopefully we'll have more and more developers actually put forth the proper effort to address this in the future...otherwise you'd just have a mess of notifications when the device was asleep that would be detrimental to the battery...you know, like you see on many Android based device where this kind of efficiency requirement doesn't exist.

I just found out that wifi doesn't activate until I unlock the phone after the restart. So this is why I can't receive notifications from apps but calls and text (which don't require connection)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just found out that wifi doesn't activate until I unlock the phone after the restart. So this is why I can't receive notifications from apps but calls and text (which don't require connection)
That has nothing to do with it. When I open my phone after it's been locked, sometimes I see it on LTE briefly. But I still get notifications on my lock screen when I wake in the morning. Usually BeWeather 2, AppShopper, and Words With Friends. Before I unlock.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of any of these issues. Make sure the notification settings are set to "show on lockscreen".. If not try to do the update and see if that helps.

No, once you upgrade your phone will not "re-lock" to a carrier. Once the IMEI is unlocked it usually stays unlocked. In some instances the carrier can re-lock it but this is very rare (I've heard of it happening with Sprint phones)

anon(7908611)

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I've never heard of any of these issues. Make sure the notification settings are set to "show on lockscreen".. If not try to do the update and see if that helps.

No, once you upgrade your phone will not "re-lock" to a carrier. Once the IMEI is unlocked it usually stays unlocked. In some instances the carrier can re-lock it but this is very rare (I've heard of it happening with Sprint phones)

So it won't re lock ?
And what are the major improvement from iOS 8.1.2 to iOS 8.3?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Battery life improvement ? It's faster?

It's hard to say about battery life. Everyone uses their phone differently. Mine has been about the same. It does seem a bit faster. But part of that for me was restoring my phone as new. 8.3 did make it smoother. Fewer bugs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox