Blinking LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As I had stated, it was just a suggestion and that's it. It's funny that I see folks on these forums who where once active on the Blackberry forums and are quick to discredit the once iconic brand???

I have always respected all the other competitors out there along with my own business competition and learned from their mistakes.

The one thing I have learned after 19 years of self employment is you better have an open mind and be willing to adapt!

Just because you have a pile of cash and things are going good at the moment doesn't mean you stop listening to your customers ideas. Just a philosophy I have have lived by.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
As I had stated, it was just a suggestion and that's it. It's funny that I see folks on these forums who where once active on the Blackberry forums and are quick to discredit the once iconic brand???

I have always respected all the other competitors out there along with my own business competition and learned from their mistakes.

The one thing I have learned after 19 years of self employment is you better have an open mind and be willing to adapt!

Just because you have a pile of cash and things are going good at the moment doesn't mean you stop listening to your customers ideas. Just a philosophy I have have lived by.

If you're referring to me, yes I was once active on CB. I once used BlackBerry as a primary device. Then as a secondary. Then as a barely used spare on a spare line. BlackBerry ceased to be compelling or even useful. I evolved beyond it. I found that my iPhones were much more invaluable to me and regretted all the money, time, and energy wasted on trying to make BlackBerry work for me. So now that I've evolved past it, I don't feel the need to revisit the past to bring features that hold no value. Because I don't need the crutch they provided. And I discredit arguments that are illogical. Just as I discredited the iSheep and tools not toys inanity in CB, I discredit the notion in iMore that an LED is a necessity in a business environment. And I point out that in meetings I attend and those I chair, checking phones is not allowed, making LEDs irrelevant.

There IS life beyond BlackBerry.

As to the concept of an LED being a desired feature, people have offered an opinion. No amount of repeating a point of view will change the responses already given. Do I want it? No. Do I want Apple wasting effort on it? No.

Apple doesn't need to adapt to integrate features on other phones. They need to listen to their customers. And improve on the Apple vision. Not incorporate a feature from a company that holds a fraction of its previous user base.

Let's revisit your OP.

I for one would love for Apple to incorporate a LED on the next generation iPhone. Coming from the Blackberry world, I found that when I am in a meeting and have the ringer on my device turned off, having an LED blinking to indicate I have a message would be nice?

I really don't think Apple with ever have one on there devices, I would be this first one to embrace it, if it ever does materialize.

Here is my response: no, it harkens back to a platform that I've evolved beyond.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Situations and needs change over time. No big deal...;)

Smart and wise...;)

Don't forget about the ability to read trends...:)

I don't think Apple is doing that and I highly doubt the people who want to see a Blackberry-like LED on the iPhone are among the majority in regard to Apple's customer base.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to me, yes I was once active on CB. I once used BlackBerry as a primary device. Then as a secondary. Then as a barely used spare on a spare line. BlackBerry ceased to be compelling or even useful. I evolved beyond it. I found that my iPhones were much more invaluable to me and regretted all the money, time, and energy wasted on trying to make BlackBerry work for me. So now that I've evolved past it, I don't feel the need to revisit the past to bring features that hold no value. Because I don't need the crutch they provided. And I discredit arguments that are illogical. Just as I discredited the iSheep and tools not toys inanity in CB, I discredit the notion in iMore that an LED is a necessity in a business environment. And I point out that in meetings I attend and those I chair, checking phones is not allowed, making LEDs irrelevant.

As to the concept of an LED being a desired feature, people have offered an opinion. No amount of repeating a point of view will change the responses already given. Do I want it? No. Do I want Apple wasting effort on it? No.

Apple doesn't need to adapt to integrate features on other phones. They need to listen to their customers. And improve on the Apple vision. Not incorporate a feature from a company that holds a fraction of its previous user base.

Let's revisit your OP.

Here is my response: no, it harkens back to a platform that I've evolved beyond.

Breathe....

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No way a phone without a notification LED will be taken seriously. -Every iPhone hater in 2007.

It's now 2015 and the iPhone seems to be doing pretty well without that LED.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No way a phone without a notification LED will be taken seriously. -Every iPhone hater in 2007.

It's now 2015 and the iPhone seems to be doing pretty well without that LED.

Right up there with iPhone will never be used in secure agencies.

Yah......

Actually that sounds like one of Mike and Bill's famous quotes.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Right up there with iPhone will never be used in secure agencies.

Yah......

Actually that sounds like one of Mike and Bill's famous quotes.

I didn't see this thread until yesterday and all I could do was LOL.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Let's revisit your OP.

No I wasn't referring to you directly and I have always shown respect to everyone for whatever platform they use.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No I wasn't referring to you directly and I have always shown respect to everyone for whatever platform they use.

Yes you always have been extremely reasonable and measured in all the threads I read you on while I was at CB. I always enjoyed your point of view.

We just disagree on this one point.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You're not asking for adaption...you're asking for a prehistoric form of notification to be added to a new age product that doesn't need it. You're clamoring on and on about how companies better listen to their customer base to stay relevant by referencing a company that did the exact opposite and finds itself circling the drain quicker and quicker each year.

What you're essentially doing is hanging on for dear life to tiny threads of the past that you liked...and because YOU liked them, you assume there is a legitimate user base that feels the same way that could sway a company like Apple to add said feature (regardless of how obsolete it has become over the years).

My advice would be to move on...but as we see with every thread about these silly LED notification lights, people like to pretend their own personal preferences and wants represent a larger sector of user than they actually do...so this will just keep popping up here and there.

Just like larger screens and even larger screens. 3rd party keyboards and widgets. Those are totally never going to happen!

Totally different scenario. Every user knew that larger screens were coming, you can even read through each generation of iPhone how users saw it coming but were still content with the size they had...the consumer base finally demanded such and it happened...same with custom keyboards.

And widgets? lol...what widgets? What the iPhone has in the notification center is hardly a widget in the way people have grown accustomed to on android based devices.

It's not even remotely the same scenario as this LED light notification thing...there is no movement for such a "feature" in the smart phone market, it's just a tiny % of blackberry users who found it useful at one time who want to see it brought back.

I mean you still have people who want tape players in their cars...I'm sure to them it's important, but thankfully the market has moved on from such things.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Where's the 8-tracki deck in the new Ferrari!! :p

I could play my mothers 8-track Rumours tape on my 2014 car!!!!! Wouldn't that be cool?!!?!!! Original music on original medium!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Why do we always degenerate to a terrible car metaphor? Every damn time.

My comparison to widgets, 3rd party keyboards and larger screens is more closely related to the topic than a tape deck in a car. A tape deck is old tech replaced by new tech of basically the same purpose. A led light is an additional feature (that could be turned off by the consumer).

Also from my experience people that have used Android and switched mostly miss the LED it is not the ridiculous 1% Blackberry users like you have stated.

Personally I moved away from Android and I miss the LED. I have never used blackberry. I think the iPhone can and would benefit from it but I would not want it to be the same stale blinky light on the other platforms, I would want them to something different, innovative and beautiful with it.

Do I miss it enough to switch back, not yet, It is not a game changer but it would be welcome.

I will continue to want it, continue to miss it and continue to voice my want for it.

I have frequented this Apple forum for a while and others like it. The same thing has happened over and over:
-We don't need a bigger screen 3.5 in, is perfect!
-We don't need a bigger screen 4 in. is perfect!
-We don't need 3rd party keyboards the stock one is perfect!
-We don't need 720p or 1080p our pixel density is enough!
-We don't need actionable notifications!

All I am saying is even though it is not the most popular opinion amongst you iMore Elite don't count it out.

Last edited:

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Terrible? Seems relevant to me.

OK it's not terrible and from his personal point of view it may work. But it is a car metaphor every damn time.. Come up with something new.

And for the record I am not trying to discredit anything that Sean, qb or kch are trying to say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wish they would admit that the amount of people that want this feature could very well be much much more than 1% of blackberry users because in that specific circumstance I can assure you they are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods