Blinking LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually missed the LED very briefly when I left BlackBerry. When I weighed what I'd gained (reliability, support, native apps, user experience) I realised that I'd lost nearly nothing in losing the LED.
If I had to choose between the LED on the BlackBerry and the dependability of iOS, it's really a no brainer.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

I think most people who've dumped BB over the years have briefly missed the LED, myself included. But it only took me a few weeks to realize that the LED was more of a hindrance than a help. Aside from being a distraction at home, it also had me constantly checking my phone during meetings, which looked quite rude at times. Now I have my phone set to light up when a notification comes in, so I can see it at a glance. This serves me better than a flashing light that doesn't give me nearly enough information about the incoming notification.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think most people who've dumped BB over the years have briefly missed the LED, myself included. But it only took me a few weeks to realize that the LED was more of a hindrance than a help. Aside from being a distraction at home, it also had me constantly checking my phone during meetings, which looked quite rude at times. Now I have my phone set to light up when a notification comes in, so I can see it at a glance. This serves me better than a flashing light that doesn't give me nearly enough information about the incoming notification.

Yup. Same here.

For many of us recovering BlackBerry users, the LED is a meh..... the sun continues to shine without it....

You know what I don't want to do without? iOS dependability and Apple support.

Try those two with BlackBerry. My ex had to get his Passport replaced due to a lifting screen.

Took almost two months of back and forth with Digital River and BlackBerry. It would take me half an hour at the Apple Store that's one short Metro ride from me.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and by the way Mike.....I bought a used Quasim....er....Passport off a friend who was ready to smash it against the wall. Those were her words, not mine. So I gave her what amounted to freedom money so she could go get herself an iPhone 6 Plus and unshackle herself from that thing.

I didn't give BlackBerry any money and I'm not paying extra services on BBM so I don't feel that I added anything to the BlackBerry bottom line. Thank God.

This thing hasn't got the legendary battery life everybody talks about. It's not as big as I thought it would be. The OS is pathetic, screen flickering green or black and white lines on the screen. Camera is minimally better than the pathetic 9900 camera. If THIS is the legendary Passport that BlackBerry has its fortunes tied to, I am rather pessimistic about their hardware division.

Haven't had it long enough to out it through its paces. But I'm not hopeful.

Oh Android apps do run better on it. But still no banking apps, no Geico.

And yes the keyboard is in fact a dream.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428329500.383004.jpg

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I for one would love for Apple to incorporate a LED on the next generation iPhone. Coming from the Blackberry world, I found that when I am in a meeting and have the ringer on my device turned off, having an LED blinking to indicate I have a message would be nice?

I really don't think Apple with ever have one on there devices, I would be this first one to embrace it, if it ever does materialize.

Not sure how well it works but there is an app, that that uses the camera flash as an notifier. So if your phone was on silent and you laid it on its front, if you got a notification, the flash for the camera has a subtle blinking notifier.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how well it works but there is an app, that that uses the camera flash as an notifier. So if your phone was on silent and you laid it on its front, if you got a notification, the flash for the camera has a subtle blinking notifier.
No app needed...it's a built in feature on iOS...under accessibility in Settings.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
No app needed...it's a built in feature on iOS...under accessibility in Settings.

Yup, I concur. But that's the most basic it gets. If someone is looking for the BBRY experience (which I agree, go BBRY as I also have Q10, Z30, Classic, and Passort) there are apps in the App Store that allow different notifiers for different things like individual callers, texts, emails, etc. That's all I meant, but I don't like it on my iPhone but love it on my BBRY's?ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1428335269.929977.jpg

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I was never much of a fan of the red notification light blinking when I had a blackberry. I would leave my phone face down because it was distracting to me while in meetings 😡

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I think the point here is, Why should you have to choose. Improvements are improvements and its easy to see that some will buy whatever Apple sells. Buy a 300.00+ watch so you can get a phone notification without looking at the phone. The camera flash and the LED indicator are worlds apart in intensity. Notifications on a lock screen are cute but they don't stay lit and anyone can read whats on the lock screen. No doubt that the iPhone is a great phone but, It's not perfect and what I hear from fanboys is workarounds and excuses. There are some things that will make this a better phone. Just because Apple doesn't incorporate them does not mean they are not relevant. No file system, No LED and attachments for email is dismal at best.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the point here is, Why should you have to choose. Improvements are improvements and its easy to see that some will buy whatever Apple sells. Buy a 300.00+ watch so you can get a phone notification without looking at the phone. The camera flash and the LED indicator are worlds apart in intensity. Notifications on a lock screen are cute but they don't stay lit and anyone can read whats on the lock screen. No doubt that the iPhone is a great phone but, It's not perfect and what I hear from fanboys is workarounds and excuses. There are some things that will make this a better phone. Just because Apple doesn't incorporate them does not mean they are not relevant. No file system, No LED and attachments for email is dismal at best.

In your use case for your preferences.

In my use case for my preferences I find no need for an LED. I find no need for a file system. And if I need to attach documents, I easily use an app. But ever since I started using iPhones back in 2009, the only thing I send are photos and videos.

If I had a need for anything else there would be Box or Dropbox. The fact that I'm living quite happily and peacefully without BlackBerry features on my iPhone is proof positive that, for me, those features were irrelevant for my use case.

I find being able to organise my music and to share through devices and family much more of a needed/wanted feature than a blinking red light.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are some things that will make this a better phone. Just because Apple doesn't incorporate them does not mean they are not relevant. No file system, No LED and attachments for email is dismal at best.
Then don't get an iPhone. Get something that has those things and enjoy the heck out of it... but don't come here, having bought an iPhone knowing those things are not in the iPhone, and kvetch about the iPhone not having them...

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Then don't get an iPhone. Get something that has those things and enjoy the heck out of it... but don't come here, having bought an iPhone knowing those things are not in the iPhone, and kvetch about the iPhone not having them...
It's an opinion, It's my opinion! Are you suggesting that I don't have a right to my opinion but you have a right to yours or are you just saying that my opinion doesn't count? If you don't like my opinion then don't read what I post or ban me. I have been outspoken on a few things I just don't like about the phone. I did the same with the BB. Almost everything could benefit from upgrades and improvements. The iPhone is not perfect but, I have not found the perfect phone and until I do I will post the things that I feel would be an improvement unless you are telling me that I cant.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Almost everything could benefit from upgrades and improvements.
A blinky light on an iPhone is neither an upgrade or an improvement... It's an opinion, It's my opinion! Are you suggesting that I don't have a right to my opinion but you have a right to yours or are you just saying that my opinion doesn't count? If you don't like my opinion then don't read what I post...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
WTF! Really? I didn't tell you not to come here.

Actually he used the same words you used.

The thread asked a question....would iPhone users like a blinking notification light. Most of the responses given are from iPhone users happy with their devices who don't feel that it adds value to them. Otherwise they would have agreed.

You posted your opinion on the matter and others countered your opinion.

Nowhere in the thread did anyone impose their thinking on anyone else. And everyone can offer a rebuttal.

This is what a forum is. It is not a place where only a certain opinion is approved.

There are places like that. iMore is not that place.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually he used the same words you used.

The thread asked a question....would iPhone users like a blinking notification light. Most of the responses given are from iPhone users happy with their devices who don't feel that it adds value to them. Otherwise they would have agreed.

You posted your opinion on the matter and others countered your opinion.

Nowhere in the thread did anyone impose their thinking on anyone else. And everyone can offer a rebuttal.

This is what a forum is. It is not a place where only a certain opinion is approved.

There are places like that. iMore is not that place.

I didn't say to not come here and " having bought an iPhone knowing those things are not in the iPhone, and kvetch about the iPhone not having them..." Basically, Keep my opinion to myself! from your post "This is what a forum is. It is not a place where only a certain opinion is approved"

Unless its mine! I was pretty much told to shut up because i would like to see certain things incorporated into this platform. I was told by a Mod to shut up!!!! Perhaps some training is in order!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say to not come here and " having bought an iPhone knowing those things are not in the iPhone, and kvetch about the iPhone not having them..." Basically, Keep my opinion to myself! from your post "This is what a forum is. It is not a place where only a certain opinion is approved"

Unless its mine! I was pretty much told to shut up because i would like to see certain things incorporated into this platform. I was told by a Mod to shut up!!!! Perhaps some training is in order!

But see....the irony is that you are still offering your opinion. You haven't been banned. Therefore you haven't been silenced at all. All that's happened is that people have expressed an alternate view from yours. And that's perfectly fine.

What K said was that you can in fact offer your opinion. We all can. So can he. He's rebutting yours. That's perfectly reasonable in a forum.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The problem with these threads is that they usually devolve into angry pee-ing contests.

The bottom line is that there is NO dedicated LED for notifications on the iPhone. If that's a deal breaker, buy something that has the feature. Otherwise, you have to live within the parameters of what the device offers.

And to be clear, stomping your tiny little feet and saying that Apple should/must/ought to add any feature IS your opinion and it's your prerogative to state your opinion.

It's really not that hard to figure out. There is no LED on the iPhone. Make your next phone purchase accordingly.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh good grief...

You like certain features on a phone, ones the iPhone doesn't have... you buy an iPhone anyway, without those features... and then complain about the iPhone not having those features... ridiculousness^infinity.

smh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR