Slippery 5s or 5c? Which is better?

jasonmelling

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
How does the slippery-ness of the 5c compare to the 5s? No cases, ya'll.

Thank you. If you know of this specific question regarding the difference in grip ability in another thread, please link.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm fine with how "slippery" the 5/5s were. But, you're being beyond silly to jump in with "no cases, ya'll." With as thin as some cases are, it's pointless to place such a restriction on your choice. Thin case that isn't as slick and you get the stronger device. It makes more sense than worrying about something so trivial.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The 5s will be the more slippery of the 2 because it is made of anodized aluminum. The 5c is made of plastic and the texture allows for more grip. A case would solve the problem of not having enough grip though.

jasonmelling

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I have a 5c and find it very slippery. I don't want a case, though. (Yeah, I know I know.)

Just trying to gauge the differences between the two, sans case, from people who have experience with the two devices.

gregoron

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I have both. As mentioned by others, the 5s is more slippery. The 5c is also slippery at first, but when your hand or finger starts sweating from the plastic case, it'll actually create some sort of suction to hold the phone in place. This doesn't happen on the aluminum 5s surface.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
See I found the 5c more slippery because the plastic builds up with oils and the 5s for me was so easy to grip one handed I never worried but I have big hands.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

anon(785719)

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the 5s and used it caseless for the longest time. I find that the thinness and the flat sides were worse than the "slipperyness" when it came to dropping it. I would drop it now and then because I couldn't get a good grip picking it up off a table or desk.

I only have a case now because of the battery. I use a mophie juice pack air -- however, I would go naked again in a heart beat.

This phone is a lot more durable than people give it credit for. I am in the camp of people who refuse to put a $40 case on a $799 phone and cheapen the experience. A big part of buying Apple products is the time and effort they put into the design. If battery life would allow it I like to enjoy it the way the engineers intended.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the 5s and used it caseless for the longest time. I find that the thinness and the flat sides were worse than the "slipperyness" when it came to dropping it. I would drop it now and then because I couldn't get a good grip picking it up off a table or desk.

I only have a case now because of the battery. I use a mophie juice pack air -- however, I would go naked again in a heart beat.

This phone is a lot more durable than people give it credit for. I am in the camp of people who refuse to put a $40 case on a $799 phone and cheapen the experience. A big part of buying Apple products is the time and effort they put into the design. If battery life would allow it I like to enjoy it the way the engineers intended.

I never put a case on my iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S or the iPhone 3G. Now in regard to the iPhone 5S being slippery, I didn't find it to be slippery at all. Now my iPhone 6 Plus is a different story. I do find it to be somewhat slippery, but if it wasn't for work, I would still use it without a case. I've swapped out the Tech21 case I had on it for the basic black Apple leather case.

anon(785719)

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I never put a case on my iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S or the iPhone 3G. Now in regard to the iPhone 5S being slippery, I didn't find it to be slippery at all. Now my iPhone 6 Plus is a different story. I do find it to be somewhat slippery, but if it wasn't for work, I would still use it without a case. I've swapped out the Tech21 case I had on it for the basic black Apple leather case.

Yeah I am not a huge fan of cases and I purchase Apple care in case something happens. Honestly though I have had some pretty scary drops and the phone has held up great.

I've handled the 6 plus and I think the huge size (overly large for 5.5inch device), rounded sides and aluminum make it a device that I would drop a lot. That is one reason I have not upgraded to that phone yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh