Auto brightness.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
What do you think? Does anyone use it. I find myself turning it on and off a lot. I like the way it works for the most part but at night it goes all the way down and then I seem to have issues seeing the screen.

Not sure about the battery usage not to concerned about that. So what do you think?

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I tried turning it off because I heard it saved battery life. That didn't last long because I go between daylight and darker rooms too often to make manual adjusting convenient, so I just leave it on now.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I always leave auto brightness on. And sometimes I think it's still too bright in the dark. I don't worry about battery though just comfort level for my eyes.

See for me I do like it but when I go to bed and i'm watching TV, it seems hard for me to see it because it seems to dark.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried turning it off because I heard it saved battery life. That didn't last long because I go between daylight and darker rooms too often to make manual adjusting convenient, so I just leave it on now.

I'm not worried about battery anymore, Got a Mophie coming in 2 weeks...:D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Normally, I keep auto brightness on, but as of late, I've had it off and the lever set at 50%. I'm just curious to see how much of a strain on the battery it has, and thus far, the effects have been minimal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't care for autobrightness. It tends to change in a way that annoys me. I'm inside most of the time. If I go outside and need it brighter, I turn it up. I normally keep it at about 30%.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I use auto brightness. I "calibrate" it by going into our walk-in closet which is pitch black with the door closed and turning auto brightness off and moving the slider all the way to the left. I then turn auto brightness back on and I'm done! When in pitch black situations the slider is max left and it adjusts itself accordingly from there!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I just left it on auto and when I need to adjust it, I will do it myself. Mine does a pretty good job of always being the right brightness.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have it on for any and every device that has the function. iPhone works great, but my iMac doesn't adjust that well. I was surprised that TVs back home don't have the ability still. Is that the case for all of them?

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I use auto brightness on both my Air and 5S. I've never noticed any negative battery impact and if it's at a level I need to decrease/increase I just do it manually. I've been using AB since my 4S and I enjoy the self adjusting features of it.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have auto brightness off on all my things. It is just annoying to have the screen brightness adjusted when I need it most.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the battery concerns here. If the auto brightness adjusts itself down, wouldn't that save battery use anyway?

Maybe people don't know this, but the auto brightness in the iPhone is quite remarkable.

Depending on the brightness level, your iPhone will remember the level you set it at. So if you go into a completely dark room and set it at say 10%, next time you go into a completely dark room it will always go to 10%. It will always adjust to any given light situation you have previously set it at. Seems like a no brainer to me.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the battery concerns here. If the auto brightness adjusts itself down, wouldn't that save battery use anyway?

Maybe people don't know this, but the auto brightness in the iPhone is quite remarkable.

Depending on the brightness level, your iPhone will remember the level you set it at. So if you go into a completely dark room and set it at say 10%, next time you go into a completely dark room it will always go to 10%. It will always adjust to any given light situation you have previously set it at. Seems like a no brainer to me.

That is true and I would bet that most don't know this. I have been keeping it on and at about 10% up from the lowest setting, lowest is too low for me and when I'm outside it's perfect.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner