Battery Charging Opinions

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I just read this article and not sure what to make of it:

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

When I had my 4s, I constantly let it run to zero EVERY time and let it charge to 100 before taking it off the charger. It held a great charge for the 4 years I had it.

This article talks about LION and how we should always "top" this type off. I have 2 Milwaukee LION drills and their manual states to let the batteries run dry before charging and remove the batteries from the charger after its fully charge. Why would smart phone LIONs be any different?

Does any one have any concrete evidence for charging LIONs for longevity through the years?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just do what works for your use habits... chances are, you're going to have a new device before a battery will fail in a phone anyway... if not, it's not that big a deal to replace a battery in an iDevice...

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is there in the same link,just at a different tab( Why Li Ion Batteries). Apple recommends the top off method of Li Ion, but it is not required for phones and computers. So does Dell, HP and everyone else. Top off maximizes the number of times you can charge, but the total cycles to full drain remains the same. It is more convenient with Li ion since you never have to start your day with a partial charge fearing that you are damaging your battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Li Ions give you the freedom to just top off without destroying the normal lifetime of your battery. It is only 'better' than your method in that you don't have to start the day with a partial charge thinking that you must.

Top off is fine or recommended by Apple for phones, tablets and laptops. So does Dell, HP and all others.

Here is the Apple statement. A li ion battery has about 500 or so complete 100-0% cycles to them before its capacity is reduced to 80%.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/#mn_p

"It makes charging easier.
Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There?s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you?ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery?s capacity ? but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery?s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product. "

iPhone Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

Last edited:

dings1985

Banned
Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Find great prices from around the web for Apple Battery Charger. Compare offers from different sites, refine your search and search for other products in...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73